Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

2 hours ago, Villarocker said:

Bill Gates is funding vaccine development at big companies and he's got plenty of money to throw at it. He's even saying that he will be able to get the vaccine out first because he has the money readily available to put into the research. 

Get ready for the implants that say what your antibody status is and the Microsoft scanners to read it 😎 - all of you believe in Conspiracy theories of course. However, the part about Gates funding it is true. 

Hmmn The Cabal Leader himself! 🛠️

I think some of us comparing the UK to Germany in the hope that PL football can return should seriously think about taking their heads out of the sand.

The UK has way more deaths, infections, less testing, poorer facilities and we are still several weeks behind Germany.

The Bundesliga are just making positive noises much like the PL, facts are cases are rising again in Germany because they have eased lockdown and even a few players have caught it.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, useless said:

Doesn't make sense to cancel relegation but to then carry on playing anyway, it seems a crazy enough idea to go ahead and play at the mo as it is, but would be even more crazier if they started playing again but there wasn't nothing to play for, if you're going to void relegation then might as well just cancel the season and give Liverpool the title.

Exactly this. What about  promotions into the Premier League? If they start up playing again and offer no promotion into the Premier League, will there not be a legal case to answer? 

If they need to play out the games to decide places and ban relegation then they might as well do one to New Zealand and complete it there - no tests needed other than upon arrival. 

I just can't see how football can be completed this season.

Sunday Supplement this morning mentioned lower leagues are concerned about no football until 2021 and are implementing contingency plans so they don't go out of business. Gary Neville has mentioned this too several times of late....

What hasn’t been factored in is the EFL is a business in its own rights and they won’t to lose the top 3 in the championship with no replacements as its detrimental to their product a minus x 3 top teams with no former prem clubs to replace.

I reckon they should offer the remaining teams the parachute payments as a way of offsetting the fact they are losing the 3 best teams as a sweetener to the EFL  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

Brighton and West Ham have been very vocal about the relegation thing. We have been very quiet on the subject

The neutral grounds are also going to be mainly Premier League stadiums so we can guess which ones, at least 2 in Manchester, 1 in Liverpool and 4 or 5 in London

I think it will be the polar opposite. Will be smaller out of the way grounds.  Burnley Norwich etc. 

If the idea is to stop fans turning up you wouldn't play them right in the middle of where fans are most likely to turn up. 

St James's Park with no Newcastle games would be a good shout. 

Edited by sidcow

7 minutes ago, thabucks said:

What hasn’t been factored in is the EFL is a business in its own rights and they won’t to lose the top 3 in the championship with no replacements as its detrimental to their product a minus x 3 top teams with no former prem clubs to replace.

I reckon they should offer the remaining teams the parachute payments as a way of offsetting the fact they are losing the 3 best teams as a sweetener to the EFL  

Surely their TV deal is already in place so should have little effect on their income? 

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I think it will be the polar opposite. Will me smaller out of the way grounds.  Burnley Norwich etc. 

If the idea is to stop fans turning up you wouldn't play them right in the middle of where fans are most likely to turn up. 

St James's Park with no Newcastle games would be a good shout. 

That would be the sensible idea but I am sure some of the managers like dickhead Klopp will be complaining that they cant play football on these pitches or how the facilities not up to Anfield standards

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Surely their TV deal is already in place so should have little effect on their income? 

They will still have to agree to the plan of no relegation from the prem whilst losing the three top teams. I would presume even if the TV contracts are in place they will surely have certain clauses/criteria  which need to be met, and with taken Leeds and West Brom out of the league with no big name replacement that would surely be detrimental to advertisers who want to either have a rebate or to renegotiate? 

There would still be 3 coming up from league one wouldn't they? Likes of Portsmouth and Sunderland were in contention but both lost form before lockdown so probably would struggle to get up under whatever format they decide for promotion.

Championship won't want to lose three of their more commercially attractive teams without them being replaced, but then no promotion from the championship isn't good for them either, because the biggest selling point of that division is the idea that if you do well you can reach the premier league, if promotion is  cancelled  this year then people are going to be wary of it being cancelled in future seasons as well, especially in the immediate future when we don't know if this virus may come back stronger in the winter. So I think they'd allow teams to go up if the premier league decided to allow it, even if there were no teams coming down to replace them.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

There is a headline today on BBC website that teams are being enticed to agree the neutral venue solution in exchange for no relegation. 

If they do carry on which I still think is ridiculous, this is a fair solution. They get to pocket the cash, their dream of Liverpool winning the title comes to fruition, they can decide European places and teams like us don't get relegated in an unfair setting. 

If the TV people think they are going to get enthralling entertaining football they have another thing coming though. 

Well, that's what I call integrity. It means we will have 92 games which won' serve any purpose whatsoever, except making sure the PL get some cash.

Can't wait until this Festival of football begins.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

There would still be 3 coming up from league one wouldn't they? Likes of Portsmouth and Sunderland were in contention but both lost form before lockdown so probably would struggle to get up under whatever format they decide for promotion.

Would probably be two. then 5 go down next season. Can't see them squeezing the playoffs in as well. Which would mean a few teams in the championship being very pissed off you'd think. 3 up and 6 down next season with a 44 games season plus CL/europa league and 2 cups would be a LOT of football to play.

Im glad brightons chief has said what he has and I hoped ours would have said it or at least joins in with him

playing games in neutral venues behind closed doors has a negative impact on the integrity of the competition, blindingly obvious to the point that the word "integrity" being banded about when talking about the must to finish the season is laughable

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

I might be wrong but think last 15 or so years was always a big hitter in Championship. Us, Newcastle, Leeds or Sunderland maybe add Southampton or Coventry as long standing Premier League teams. 

Would be left Forest and Derby and after that Fulham or Boro be the biggest name 

3 hours ago, useless said:

Doesn't make sense to cancel relegation but to then carry on playing anyway, it seems a crazy enough idea to go ahead and play at the mo as it is, but would be even more crazier if they started playing again but there wasn't nothing to play for, if you're going to void relegation then might as well just cancel the season and give Liverpool the title.

Finish the fixture to fulfil the contracts, gets them out of a big hole if the government won't do them the favour of cancelling it for them

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

There is a headline today on BBC website that teams are being enticed to agree the neutral venue solution in exchange for no relegation. 

If they do carry on which I still think is ridiculous, this is a fair solution. They get to pocket the cash, their dream of Liverpool winning the title comes to fruition, they can decide European places and teams like us don't get relegated in an unfair setting. 

If the TV people think they are going to get enthralling entertaining football they have another thing coming though. 

That seems a ridiculous idea to me. The most exciting thing about the Premier League is the relegation battle without it there is no incentive for teams like us.