Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

I think the headline tells you everything you need to know

They plan to complete the season should the UK government restrictions allow it

That says to me they want the government to pull the plug and not themselves, cowards 

At a meeting of Premier League Shareholders today, clubs discussed possible steps towards planning to resume the 2019/20 season, when it is safe and appropriate to do so.

It was reiterated that the thoughts of all are with those directly affected by the COVID-19 pandemic.

Furthermore, the Premier League’s priority is the health and safety of players, coaches, managers, club staff, supporters and the wider community.

The League and clubs are considering the first tentative moves forward and will only return to training and playing with Government guidance, under expert medical advice and after consultation with players and managers.

The League welcomed the creation of the Government medical working group for a return of elite sport, which met for the first time this morning.

No decisions were taken at today’s Shareholders’ meeting and clubs exchanged views on the information provided regarding "Project Restart".

It was agreed that the PFA, LMA, players and managers are key to this process and will be further consulted.

The clubs reconfirmed their commitment to finishing the 2019/20 season, maintaining integrity of the competition and welcomed the Government’s support.

I can’t imagine a single club, with something to play for, would be willing to play vital games at a neutral venue behind closed doors. Why would a club throw away that advantage? I simply don’t see agreement coming from the likes of Villa, Norwich, Bournemouth, West Ham, Brighton, Watford etc. I guess we’ll see at the vote next week, but anyone signing up to this is putting their neck in a noose. And I don’t believe ppl/businesses tend to do that. And still they bang on about “integrity” in their statements. It’s a sick joke. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

That says to me they want the government to pull the plug and not themselves, cowards 

Would mean they aren't liable as they didn't call it off, it was impossible to complete in time because of the government restrictions.

Finishing 10 games is just so much more doable than a full season.

A full season from August/September isn't happening get real.

Most fair and realistic thing to do is to finish off this season

45 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Sounds like the government has backed the plans thus far. 

46 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I think they want the government to give them the green light, so that if and when things go horribly wrong, they can deflect the blame away from where it belongs (themselves). It will also help them when the players and PFA are reluctant to restart, by saying they're only doing it because the government told them to...cowards yes, but cynical money grabbing ones! 😠

We are always gonna be a bit biased on this. Ofcourse we want the season void to save us and stay on the League. Also allowing Liverplop to take there first title in years......................well kind of😜

4 minutes ago, Nabby said:

Looks like Neutral Venues have been agreed ..

Thats the only option but teams have got to agree on it hardly fair on teams who have played a team away and now will have to play them “away” again,will be no real sporting integrity will there,more and more you read the ideas I think its just time before they say we tried to start the league but we couldnt.

4 hours ago, Jareth said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/apr/30/premier-league-confident-of-securing-covid-19-testing-kits-for-return

Premier League clubs have invested in coronavirus testing machines that can turn around results in two and a half hours as they gear up towards finding a way to complete the season. The league is overseeing the initiative and it is understood that some clubs in the Championship have also purchased the machines, which cost £36,000 and are readily available.

Hmmmmmm.  The Guardian. 

Most others are saying they plan to. 

If they did that and outbid the NHS for desperately needed testing machines I think there would be complete uproar. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, midian said:

Thats the only option but teams have got to agree on it hardly fair on teams who have played a team away and now will have to play them “away” again,will be no real sporting integrity will there,more and more you read the ideas I think its just time before they say we tried to start the league but we couldnt.

Comes to a vote I would guess so if enough go ahead with it , not much choice.The teams most against neutral venue's are likely to be those in bottom 6 ..the drop out of league a bigger worry that losing some TV cash this year by not playing .Those teams safe frankly won't really care and I doubt thier players will ..I suspect staying up if this goes ahead is going to be a more luck that skill.At the end of the season you get crazy results  ( players already on the beach syndrome ) it will be worse this season.

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Hmmmmmm.  The Guardian. 

If they did that and outbid the NHS for desperately needed testing machines I think there would be complete uproar. 

No idea if it’s true but the article says the NHS do not want them since they can only turn around 1 test every 2 1/2 hours. TBH It’s still a PR nightmare for the PL to be hoarding private testing machines when the government can’t provide enough tests for front line NHS and essential workers:

13 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Hmmmmmm.  The Guardian. 

It's about timing as well, if they cancel this season and start in mid August then there could have been 10 million people tested at the current rate round the country so testing footballers regularly would be more palatable.  Not to mention by then there might be a better antibody test by then.

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Finishing 10 games is just so much more doable than a full season.

A full season from August/September isn't happening get real.

Most fair and realistic thing to do is to finish off this season

Glad to see you back on form @villalad21

• Haha 1