Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

1 hour ago, AntrimBlack said:

Football is absolutely not essential, no matter what anyone tries to tell us.

Why would we put the lives of doctors and nurses at risk just to satisfy the money rich Premier League?

We need to remember what is at stake here; peoples lives - not promotion, relegation, etc.

We need to concentrate on what really matters. Saving lives, getting essential operations up and running again.

To hell with the football. it's only a game. People are dying.

Everything you say is true of course, but in case it can be done without risking lives, then I'm for playing behind closed doors. People need other things to think about for the sake of their mental health. That's just my view, and I respect all other views as well. I think I'd benefit from watching football. 

Personally, I think we're looking at a write off of the season with no relegations and 2 promoted teams with more fixtures next season. For the reasons that:

- least potential long winded lawsuits - least disruption to next season - no truly fair way to decide relegation places emergency services will not want to cover matches - no fans can watch live for some time - there's no great need to complete the sesson compared to other matters - neutral ground fixtures is not fair as other fixtures were not neutral - and a few more reasons besides.

All I can see is a write off. Liverpool get the title. European places awarded as things stand. And thats it.

• Like 3

Just now, AVTuco said:

Everything you say is true of course, but in case it can be done without risking lives, then I'm for playing behind closed doors. People need other things to think about for the sake of their mental health. That's just my view, and I respect all other views as well. I think I'd benefit from watching football. 

Any diversion of PPE or testing kits , in order facilitate a football match, while care homes and hospitals are enduring shortages, would be an abomination. I love football, but honestly , this scramble to play games is quite nauseating.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I have a feeling that nobody wants to be seen to be a huge coward - I'm certain many when it comes to it will vote to void, when they can demonstrate they had no other option. 

I don't even think it's cowardice, I think clubs and the leage have lots of contracts with sponsors and broadcasters etc that rely on them playing football to hold up their end of the bargain, and they don't want to be seen to be publicly not pushing for that to be honoured because of the legal implications.

I'm absolutely certain that once the government calls off organised sport and makes it impossible for the season to finish, you'll start to see club and league officials come out and make more sensible statements, like that it was the right decision to cancel the season, that it could never have reasonably continued safely and so on.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Only2McInallys said:

Having watched Villa this year my mental health has been improved dramatically by not having to watch them play any more games.

Well, ok, it would be good for us from the moment it was published until the kick-off. 

Edited by AVTuco

5 hours ago, sidcow said:

1) yes you can if the Government relaxes social distancing rules which they will eventually

2) A vaccine will probably be ready end of September hopefully and into mass manufacturing by the end of the year now with AstraZeneca in partnership with Oxford University.  This has been so well reported there is no way you are not aware of this. 

Absolutely no way will they forgo next seasons £1.5bn or whatever is is just to play this seasons 10 games at any cost to recover £100m or whatever lower than quoted figure they eventually reach a deal for.

God forgive me for replying though, I know you're on the wind up. 

Next season will probably be BCD until January at least though so it won't really be a proper season whatever division we end up in. Cups could also get cancelled.

Much rather have 10 games played BCD and on neutral venue rather than another 30 from August/September next year.

Have to say, I am now starting to miss the football. The weather at the moment reminds me of the run we had in the championship. Will be so huge if the season is voided and we get another stab at it. 

9 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Funny it's all about football. Not to much in the media about the other sports waiting to start, proof it's mainly about the finance.

To be fair on the bbc news channel they talk about sports like Rugby and cricket 

1 hour ago, Only2McInallys said:

Does anyone remember the MMR scandal?Many people thought these vaccine caused medical problems.

These were vaccine that had been developed over many years been tested thoroughly in mass clinical trials and still people thought they had side effects.

To do a mass clinical trial will need 20,000 people .How long is it going to take to see if it works,has no side effects etc

After that they will need to manufacture it in mass quantities .All those things will take longer than 6 months

No one is going introduce something at huge cost and expense unless they are sure it works and has no side effects

On top of that there is no proof if you get it you can’t catch it again.

Sorry if I am glass half empty guy

There was nothing wrong with the MMR vaccine.   Nothing at all.  A crackpot doctor* said it was dangerous and the press latched onto it and kept repeating the story and asking questions of the Government. It was like the biggest disinformation case before social media took bullshit to a whole new level. 

And now diseases like measels are actually making a comeback because so many people believed the story. 

* I watched a program recently about an anti vaccine movement which is getting big in America and guess who was at the centre of it all providing the "scientific" case? The same doctor who was scaremongering about MMR in the 90s.  He's basically a medical version of David Ike and it's tragic the press latched onto him and gave him oxygen. His misinformation is obviously still alive and kicking. 

His name is Andrew Wakefield. Go take a look at his Wikipedia page, it's quite shocking. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

There was nothing wrong with the MMR vaccine.   Nothing at all.  A crackpot doctor* said it was dangerous and the press latched onto it and kept repeating the story and asking questions of the Government. It was like the biggest disinformation case before social media took bullshit to a whole new level. 

And now diseases like measels are actually making a comeback because so many people believed the story. 

* I watched a program recently about an anti vaccine movement which is getting big in America and guess who was at the centre of it all providing the "scientific" case? The same doctor who was scaremongering about MMR in the 90s.  He's basically a medical version of David Ike and it's tragic the press latched onto him and gave him oxygen. His misinformation is obviously still alive and kicking. 

His name is Andrew Wakefield. Go take a look at his Wikipedia page, it's quite shocking. 

There was something about the MMR vaccine and the rise in autism wasn't there. Having a child who has severe autism I always wondered about the connection

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Funny it's all about football. Not to much in the media about the other sports waiting to start, proof it's mainly about the finance.

Premiership Rugby are in the same boat as Footy.  Planning for restart and completion of the season. 

Surely you can remember Tokyo sticking to their guns about putting on the Olympics despite it clearly being absurd. 

2 minutes ago, PaulC said:

There was something about the MMR vaccine and the rise in autism wasn't there. Having a child who has severe autism I always wondered about the connection

Type into Google "does MMR cause autism" and the first result is an NHS statement (our heroes) saying 'No link between MMR and autism,' major study finds"

It was that Pratt who has caused untold damage to a valuable protective vaccine. 

2 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I suppose you would, naturally, but I have to say I don't agree that there is anywhere you can place blame.

What I believe to be a reliable source has told me the plan is for all PL games to be played in June at St George's Park bcd with 2 or 3 games being streamed for TV daily. Players isolated in local hotels (where they will be the only guests) away from friends and family for the duration.

Horrible idea, but as I say I believe the source is sound.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, John said:

She's changed her tune then. Very surprising that every club would want to restart, despite everything previously pointing to the clubs not being unanimous, either way.

I expect she knows full well its cancelled so now she's towing the party line keeping up the pretence they are trying to finish it for the benefit of the TV companies and EUEFA.