Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

43 minutes ago, PaulC said:

That seems a ridiculous idea to me. The most exciting thing about the Premier League is the relegation battle without it there is no incentive for teams like us. 

Behind closed doors games will be shit whatever. Don't fool yourself that this about entertainment, it's about fulfilling contracts.

• Like 3

As ridiculous as it would be to finish the league with the games being in a lot of cases meaningless I think it would be even more ridiculous to finish the league and having these games decide relegation considering how the world looks and with the focus of the players being on the well being of their families and a thousand other things rather than football. A lot of them will not even want to play.

I don't want any more games to be played this season for obvious reasons but if they feel they have to for monetary reasons then at least have it be the exhibition style games it will mostly be either way.

1 minute ago, sne said:

As ridiculous as it would be to finish the league with the games being in a lot of cases meaningless I think it would be even more ridiculous to finish the league and having these games decide relegation considering how the world looks and with the focus of the players being on the well being of their families and a thousand other things rather than football. A lot of them will not even want to play.

I don't want any more games to be played this season for obvious reasons but if they feel they have to for monetary reasons then at least have it be the exhibition style games it will mostly be either way.

why though? one isn't any safer than the other 

Just now, PaulC said:

why though? one isn't any safer than the other 

If safety is the issue (as it should be) then no more games should be played.

Playing games with super high stakes during these conditions is IMO a terrible idea.

I don't see how writing off a 29 game season based on safety only to start it from fresh 2 months later when you haven't got the confidence to know for a fact you can even complete that season, helps anyone.

Other than teams or fans of teams who aren't happy with how their season have gone.

We were never meant to be sitting at home for years. There will soon come a time where us as a society have to start taking risks or our economy will simply fall. We need to get back to work to feed our kids. 

I hope the seasons goes on. I want us to earn our right to be here. I want us to earn it the hard way. We are Aston Villa and shouldn't fear relegation.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

That seems a ridiculous idea to me. The most exciting thing about the Premier League is the relegation battle without it there is no incentive for teams like us. 

If they remove relegation, as is customary for Villa, we will probably turn into Brazil and qualify for Europe.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

If they remove relegation, as is customary for Villa, we will probably turn into Brazil and qualify for Europe.

Only to have European competitions cancelled the following season.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I don't see how writing off a 29 game season based on safety only to start it from fresh 2 months later when you haven't got the confidence to know for a fact you can even complete that season, helps anyone.

Other than teams or fans of teams who aren't happy with how their season have gone.

We were never meant to be sitting at home for years. There will soon come a time where us as a society have to start taking risks or our economy will simply fall. We need to get back to work to feed our kids. 

I hope the seasons goes on. I want us to earn our right to be here. I want us to earn it the hard way. We are Aston Villa and shouldn't fear relegation.

I understand your argument but even under what people consider a severe lockdown we have lost almost 30,000 people so far.  Exposure to the public is very limited so that number is incredibly high.  This virus is highly contagious and a relatively high mortality rate, those two combinations is incredibly dangerous.

You talk risk, but you get this wrong and that combination can and probably will kill 500,000 to 1,000,000 people.  If you want to kill an economy, that will because people won’t go out at all. It would be the greatest depression in the UK ever because nobody will be having any money, thus won’t be spending, thus more unemployment, our NHS will be overwhelmed.  That’s without even thinking about the actual deaths and the impacts of that.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, picicata said:

Behind closed doors games will be shit whatever. Don't fool yourself that this about entertainment, it's about fulfilling contracts.

Is the correct answer. It will absolute garbage to watch.

It reminds me when Homer Simpson stops drinking and goes to a baseball game and had no idea how boring it is.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

That's subjective...I'd say relegation fights are only exciting to the teams involved. Think many fans of the big sides watch the relegation scraps? I doubt it. 

The European places is incredibly important to sort out and the finish the season with no relegation idea seems the most reasonable so far

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jareth said:

Yep, but if they say finish the league and you can't go down, who wouldn't take that? Let's make Drinkwater play every game. 

Love this idea. It will get us better prepared if we have to play more games next season too. Whilst we won't play more games this season it will certainly feel longer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Yes that’s exactly how I feel. The only thing is if we play and finish in the bottom 3 staying up would feel hollow if there’s no relegation 

1 hour ago, Nabby said:

Relegation battle as a sceptical is down to the crowd reaction as much as anything on the pitch .Take that away and its already compromised 

Yep, fans care more than the players. If West Ham for example go down thats not the same as a bunch of crying fans or pissed off protests against the board. 

15 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Yes that’s exactly how I feel. The only thing is if we play and finish in the bottom 3 staying up would feel hollow if there’s no relegation 

I’m sure it would be easy to get over 😉

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Yep, fans care more than the players. If West Ham for example go down thats not the same as a bunch of crying fans or pissed off protests against the board. 

Here's the thing fans care the most even with neutral  grounds do they honestly think some fans won't turn up ..unless they keep it secret ..VP is listed as one venue to be used so Liverpool there and can win the league.How many police will be allocated to keep people away from the grounds ? As it not a full match day to the same blocking of roads apply and up to 3 times a week ?