Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

32 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Hmmmmmm.  The Guardian. 

Most others are saying they plan to. 

If they did that and outbid the NHS for desperately needed testing machines I think there would be complete uproar. 

I think in the article they point out that these particular machines are not desirable to the NHS. It all sounds like building a case for selfish football to restart. As for the Guardian, they hover IMHO from useful to out of touch propaganda often, but I struggle to go anywhere else for some accuracy... 

Behind closed doors at a single neutral venue - like a training ground or at Burton - would reduce the number of people you'd need in attendance.

I think one thing that's worth talking about is how utterly rubbish the football is going to be - not just because of the lack of atmosphere = but because of the lack of motivation for some of the teams involved.

Team by team:

• Liverpool - win one maybe two games then bring in the kids for the last seven games.
  • Man City - 12 points clear of dropping out of the top four - does Pep even need to come back to the country? They'll win a game or two and send the first team back home.
  • Leicester - 8 points clear of dropping out - if they can get through four games, they can put their feet up too - could pick and choose.
  • Chelsea - battling with Man Utd - will be giving it their all
  • Man Utd - battling with Chelsea - will be giving it their all
  • Wolves - battling for UEFA - will be giving it their all
  • Sheffield Utd - battling for UEFA - will be giving it their all
  • Spurs - battling for UEFA - will be giving it their all if Jose is in the mood
  • Arsenal - battling for UEFA - will be giving it their all, or at least in so far as they do
  • Burnley - long shot for UEFA - will give it a go for a few games - players won't be up for it - drift away and send the kids out for the last three
  • Crystal Palace - long shot for UEFA - will give it a go for a few games - players won't be up for it - drift away and send the kids out for the last three
  • Everton - long shot for UEFA - will give it a go for a few games - players won't be up for it - drift away and send the kids out for the last three
  • Newcastle - safe - not going anywhere - play the kids
  • Southampton - safe - not going anywhere - play the kids
  • Brighton - in danger of relegation - will give it their all until safe or doomed
  • West Ham - in danger of relegation - will give it their all until safe or doomed
  • Watford - in danger of relegation - will give it their all until safe or doomed
  • Bournemouth - in danger of relegation - will give it their all until safe or doomed
  • Villa - in danger of relegation - will give it their all until safe or doomed
  • Norwich - six points and goal difference from safety - if they don't win one of their first two, they'll pack it in.

Fates will be decided by the ordering of fixtures and by the motivation of the teams we face.

We've got:

• Winnable games against; Newcastle, Liverpool and Crystal Palace.
  • Tough games against; Chelsea, Wolves, Man Utd, West Ham
  • Games that could be easy depending on the UEFA positions by the time we play, Arsenal, Everton and Sheffield Utd.

it's going to get very strange.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I just don't see how any pitch, even spread out over say 3 or 4 pitches could possibly cope with so many games in such a short space of time. 

• Like 1

Does anybody know any more about this ‘project restart’....any smidges of information of how it would work....obviously no info on dates but surely some leaked info would’ve come out or is it just they it will restart.  

If genuine there would have to be incredible amount of planning and I’ve only heard a few bits which sound like ideas rather than anything from the plan, which suggests it’s not really genuine.

Have I missed something?

German side Cologne have had 3 players test positive ..no worries  rest of squad gona just carry on training whilst the 3 players quarantine for 14 days 

Imagine we had 3 players test positive and can't train /play for 14 days during a returned season..14 days likely to be 3 games ...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nabby said:

German side Cologne have had 3 players test positive ..no worries  rest of squad gona just carry on training whilst the 3 players quarantine for 14 days 

Imagine we had 3 players test positive and can't train /play for 14 days during a returned season..14 days likely to be 3 games ...

Doesn't matter unless one is Grealish ;)

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

Essentially, mid table teams going through the motions for 9 games BCD will damage the prem brand. That must be a major consideration for them 

You might actually find that the teams like us down the bottom who feel they are scrapping for survival are in the zone and pick up points and a lot of those less motivated disinterested mid table teams start an alarming slide they will find hard to get out of.   Maybe other teams slip into the zone. 

There are still a lot of points to play for and none of the mid table teams are that far ahead.  Someone normally drops into it unexpectedly in a normal season so I think you can pretty much guarantee it in that strange environment. 

I still think it will come down to who has to play against the most on the beach teams compared to our rivals. 

And let's hope we will be playing the Liverpool under 23s. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

You might actually find that the teams like us down the bottom who feel they are scrapping for survival are in the zone and pick up points and a lot of those less motivated disinterested mid table teams start an alarming slide they will find hard to get out of.   Maybe other teams slip into the zone. 

There are still a lot of points to play for and none of the mid table teams are that far ahead.  Someone normally drops into it unexpectedly in a normal season so I think you can pretty much guarantee it in that strange environment. 

I still think it will come down to who has to play against the most on the beach teams compared to our rivals. 

And let's hope we will be playing the Liverpool under 23s. 

That's what I think ...its going to be pot luck 

The way the Premier League are handling this is making me feel sick, depressed and annoyed to say the least.

People are dying at an astonishing daily rate. Husbands, wives, sons, daughters, extended family, friends etc and the money men are playing lip service to it all. 

It's utter nonsense, yet the people running the game are supposedly clever and smart. They are not showing that at all. It's sickening how they are just going head on with trying to get the league finished.

They have even been so crass to market it as ''project restart'' It's sickening. Do these people not watch the news and see the nurses, doctors, carers and all involved going through hell to save peoples lives?

Why can't they take a reality check? Why can't they see or are they merely going through the motions?

I think they are just making themselves look pathetic in a world that has absolutely no idea how or when this virus will be under control.

At the moment the football authorities are making themselves look greedy and yet again out of touch with reality and totally immoral.

football....meh 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Spoony said:

Ban all football until it’s over, let the top flight players be a bit fat and over-boozed. Like the good old days. Let clubs go bust and start again earning money through gate receipts, bar scarves, warm beer and pies. 

Bring back the rattles 

12 hours ago, sidcow said:

I just don't see how any pitch, even spread out over say 3 or 4 pitches could possibly cope with so many games in such a short space of time. 

St George's has 13 pitches, 5 of which are flood-lit, so if they plan to play EFL games as well you're 100% right.

I could also see quite a few fans, going through the fields and trees around it, to try to get some sort of view. They would have some job stopping them. 

Also, what if someone like Aguero does decide he would rather not play, will teams that aren't too motivated just go on and play games without them? Where's the integrity and fairness in that?  

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Finishing the season on a neutral pitch out of the country looking like the most realistic option.

Basically like a gigantic pre season

PreSeason that impacts which league you are in.

No way will they play abroad whatever the options are.  Sounds easy but the mechanics are it are immense especially as most of the likely places abroad that could cope with this are suffering like we are.  It’s essentially like a major tournament like euros or World Cup.  Not many places can hold something like that and those that can are currently suffering.  As for ideas like Qatar, the heat will kill this idea....it’s already 32c and will get hotter as the weeks go by.

Void it, void it, void it, void it, void it, void it, void it, void it, void it, void it, void it, void it, void it, void it, void it, void it, void it, void it, void it, void it, void it, void it, void it, void it, void it, void it, void it, void it, void it, void it, void it, void it, void it, void it, void it, void it, void it, void it, void it, void it, void it, void it, void it, void it, void it, void it, void it, void it, void it, void it, void it, void it, void it, void it, void it, void it, void it! 

Focus on the possibility of having a 20/21 season, because even that seems doubtful to me right now. 

1 minute ago, It's Your Round said:

Focus on the possibility of having a 20/21 season, because even that seems doubtful to me right now. 

Isn't happening.

Much easier and realistic to finish 10 games.

If it weren't for noney/tv etc it would have been an idea maybe to just freeze this season, pick it up exactly as it is now and restart the same weekend it stopped next year . No transfers this year etc. Just call it the 19-21 season. At least by next March crowds cd attend hopefully and our season tckts cd just be valid for the missing games etc. Radical maybe but money and tv will dictate i guess. Closed doors and neutral venues though, they may as well not bother for me. 

Just now, villalad21 said:

Isn't happening.

Much easier and realistic to finish 10 games.

The financial losses of losing next season would be far more damaging to club’s survival than losing the last 10 games of this one. Without next season’s TV money, many clubs simply wouldn’t survive at all. 

There’s only a few weeks in which this season can be feasibly finished without completely ruining the integrity of the league. Start it after June and it’s pushing next season back, if/when we get a second spike in cases, then it pushes it back even further. Why risk more lives to try and squeeze ten games in when it’s not safe to do so. 

Do you believe that finishing this season is more important than the chance of safely starting next season? 

• Like 1