Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

Primary schools pencilled in to reopen June 1st - cannot see football starting before that - would make no sense in terms of message to the public, footballers back before secondary school kids?. Therefore, given the need for training beforehand - this season is toast. 

18 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Primary schools pencilled in to reopen June 1st - cannot see football starting before that - would make no sense in terms of message to the public, footballers back before secondary school kids?. Therefore, given the need for training beforehand - this season is toast. 

I thought that was the earliest date they would even consider and not pencilled in date.

I’m wondering what they are thinking because you can’t really open businesses and not schools.  Parents have to go to work then but who looks after their kids.  Jobs restarting and schools open would surely have to be open at the same time.

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I thought that was the earliest date they would even consider and not pencilled in date.

I’m wondering what they are thinking because you can’t really open businesses and not schools.  Parents have to go to work then but who looks after their kids.  Jobs restarting and schools open would surely have to be open at the same time.

It's a Cummings special, leaked to a friendly rag and deniable if outrage. It was in the Telegraph, I shan't do them a favour by linking to the cretins - but Bozza will say this 'apparantly' next Sunday - so a whole week beforehand for us all to react, they can't be too sure of themselves on this one...

Just watching Sunday Supplement and Darren Lewis - whose opinion I normally take with a large pinch of salt - has come up with a very balanced argument about why the season shouldn’t be resumed.

it seems there’s a gathering momentum by players and clubs to not resume playing.

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Rugby will be even more dangerous to get going, scrums for example would be a lot more dangerous for players picking it up. You wouldn't get that many football players in the same spot at same time

_104151758_fight2.jpg

7 minutes ago, Robbie09 said:

Just watching Sunday Supplement and Darren Lewis - whose opinion I normally take with a large pinch of salt - has come up with a very balanced argument about why the season shouldn’t be resumed.

it seems there’s a gathering momentum by players and clubs to not resume playing.

There absolutely should be a momentum gathering amongst the players to stand against a resumption of playing, they’re human beings, not machines that can be put forward as cannon fodder to achieve the Generals ambitions. I think I’m still, just about, of the opinion that most of the noise coming from the Premier League is just that, noise. Noise & words designed to display that, legally and ethically, they tried everything possible to fulfill their contractual obligations, that no loopholes have been sought.  I simply cannot see any but a handful of clubs agreeing to the whole St Georges Park fiasco, or any other idea of playing behind closed doors during the summer break and transfer window. The season either gets finished as it started (with games played in front of home and away crowds), or it gets stopped and reset. I couldn’t care less if someone decides to award Liverpool the title or not, but if they do then I would imagine they would then legally be forced to nominate promotions and relegations. Which would then bring further legal proceedings from many clubs. The cleanest way out of all of this is to void the season if it cannot be completed, and so no title for Liverscum. Never mind, next season will be their season!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

The cleanest way out of all of this is to void the season if it cannot be completed, and so no title for Liverscum. Never mind, next season will be their season!

I would so completely and utterly love it if this happens AND the other squads catch up on quality and they never get another shot at it for years. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Only2McInallys said:

Does anyone remember the MMR scandal?Many people thought these vaccine caused medical problems.

These were vaccine that had been developed over many years been tested thoroughly in mass clinical trials and still people thought they had side effects.

To do a mass clinical trial will need 20,000 people .How long is it going to take to see if it works,has no side effects etc

After that they will need to manufacture it in mass quantities .All those things will take longer than 6 months

No one is going introduce something at huge cost and expense unless they are sure it works and has no side effects

On top of that there is no proof if you get it you can’t catch it again.

Sorry if I am glass half empty guy

Bill Gates is funding vaccine development at big companies and he's got plenty of money to throw at it. He's even saying that he will be able to get the vaccine out first because he has the money readily available to put into the research. 

Get ready for the implants that say what your antibody status is and the Microsoft scanners to read it 😎 - all of you believe in Conspiracy theories of course. However, the part about Gates funding it is true. 

• Like 1

I mean IF football does restart anyone that’s not up for it will just have to say I’m feeling unwell. If things start going south for teams getting results they can just say oh well the whole team has come down with something can’t play for a few weeks? 

1 hour ago, OxfordVillan said:

There absolutely should be a momentum gathering amongst the players to stand against a resumption of playing, they’re human beings, not machines that can be put forward as cannon fodder to achieve the Generals ambitions. I think I’m still, just about, of the opinion that most of the noise coming from the Premier League is just that, noise. Noise & words designed to display that, legally and ethically, they tried everything possible to fulfill their contractual obligations, that no loopholes have been sought.  I simply cannot see any but a handful of clubs agreeing to the whole St Georges Park fiasco, or any other idea of playing behind closed doors during the summer break and transfer window. The season either gets finished as it started (with games played in front of home and away crowds), or it gets stopped and reset. I couldn’t care less if someone decides to award Liverpool the title or not, but if they do then I would imagine they would then legally be forced to nominate promotions and relegations. Which would then bring further legal proceedings from many clubs. The cleanest way out of all of this is to void the season if it cannot be completed, and so no title for Liverscum. Never mind, next season will be their season!

From what I hear many footballers are bored out of their minds and would welcome a return 

If we are looking to society to normalise a bit  before football starts looking at schools would be a good indicator.

If primary schools open to all students on june 1st it means we've abandoned social distancing. Social distancing is not possible in schools.  I'm a secondary teacher and have continued being in school, kids can't socially distance even if theres only 10 of them! To enforce social distancing we'ed have to have a max of 6 or 7 pupils per class. There's no way all pupils can be in as there's not enough rooms or teachers. I think more likely is that there'll be a rota of 1 or 2 classes in primary each day on a rota. 

Bringing this back to football, imo there's a big problem in bringing back football and saying it's safe, ifs it's not safe for kids to be in school. I dont think footballers will see their kids staying at home and joyfully toddle off to play football  There's a danger that football would look greedier and more detached from reality than ever. 

• Like 1

The German government in support of restart in May.

Though i thought the plan was next weekend already.

Premier League has done the right thing to await any rash decision. If everything goes as planned in Germany there is no reason to void anything.

Edited by villalad21

15 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

The German government in support of restart in May.

Though i thought the plan was next weekend already.

Premier League has done the right thing to await any rash decision. If everything goes as planned in Germany there is no reason to void anything.

but they havent approved anything yet, meeting is not until Wednesday. Germany are about a month or 6 weeks ahead of the UK. Some of the regional leaders in Germany are against the idea

Even then they probably wont get all games finished by June 30th

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 1

Are players likely to have the hearr for it as well? Defenders might be scared to go in for a tackle or a header against a opposition player.

I think we are going to see alot of mot interested displays from players as they are scared to play.

Restarting the season will involve taking deliberate risks with the health of all the people involved. Football is not an essential service so doesn't have the right that 'key worker' services have to compel their workers to breach social distancing just for the sake of entertainment. Would any one care to guess at the percentage of players currently prepared to jeopardise the health and safety of their family and loved ones in order to accommodate the selfish one eyed focus of a billionaire entertainment business? 

Voiding the season on the basis of government advice, will help to protect the health of all concerned during this ongoing potentially fatal pandemic. It is the only sensible, decent and moral option.

Football will be with us for the rest of our lives, whereas Covid19 will 'hopefully' be no more than a frightening memory in a relatively short space of time. The PL and the EFL have no right to deliberately put more lives at risk by targeting a premature restart while we are still in the grip of a very dangerous health crisis.

• Like 3

There is a headline today on BBC website that teams are being enticed to agree the neutral venue solution in exchange for no relegation. 

If they do carry on which I still think is ridiculous, this is a fair solution. They get to pocket the cash, their dream of Liverpool winning the title comes to fruition, they can decide European places and teams like us don't get relegated in an unfair setting. 

If the TV people think they are going to get enthralling entertaining football they have another thing coming though. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

Doesn't make sense to cancel relegation but to then carry on playing anyway, it seems a crazy enough idea to go ahead and play at the mo as it is, but would be even more crazier if they started playing again but there wasn't nothing to play for, if you're going to void relegation then might as well just cancel the season and give Liverpool the title.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, sidcow said:

There is a headline today on BBC website that teams are being enticed to agree the neutral venue solution in exchange for no relegation. 

If they do carry on which I still think is ridiculous, this is a fair solution. They get to pocket the cash, their dream of Liverpool winning the title comes to fruition, they can decide European places and teams like us don't get relegated in an unfair setting. 

If the TV people think they are going to get enthralling entertaining football they have another thing coming though. 

Brighton and West Ham have been very vocal about the relegation thing. We have been very quiet on the subject

The neutral grounds are also going to be mainly Premier League stadiums so we can guess which ones, at least 2 in Manchester, 1 in Liverpool and 4 or 5 in London