Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

On a serious note there would still be a lot for the CLUBS to play for.  Every position higher in the league is worth something like an extra £2m per place. 

I doubt the players will think like this is motivation enough but a few places higher in the league can add big money. 

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

Yes that’s exactly how I feel. The only thing is if we play and finish in the bottom 3 staying up would feel hollow if there’s no relegation 

Really? 

I don't think I'd give a **** if I'm honest, probably shrug my shoulders and say the games should never have been played anyway

Unless of course we got battered in every game 

If these games are played behind closed doors in neutral grounds crammed in just to push it over the line I think I'm going to consider the premier league in general more hollow than villas survival... And my opinion of the PL isn't high to start with, stay up or go down I'm going to struggle to think its anything less than a money grabbing shambles 

• Thanks 1

If for some reason relegation is scraped but the season still goes ahead, then I think teams are still going to want to finish outside of the relegation zone, no one's going to really want to face the accusation that they only survived because of relegation being cancelled.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Really? 

I don't think I'd give a **** if I'm honest, probably shrug my shoulders and say the games should never have been played anyway

If these games are played behind closed doors in neutral grounds crammed in just to push it over the line I think I'm going to consider the premier league in general more hollow than villas survival... And my opinion of the PL isn't high to start with, stay up or go down I'm going to struggle to think its anything less than a money grabbing shambles 

Us fans will get over it but the media won’t forget about it in a hurry. I still would want us to finish outside the bottom 3 and the players show a bit of fight. There will be a lot of negative  energy going into next season otherwise. Smiths job could still be on the line. He shouldn’t get a free pass if we finish in the bottom 3 

10 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Really? 

Was chatting to mates about this earlier. I think a lot of older fans may turn their back on football. It feels like it won’t be the same again. The covid generation. 

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

Us fans will get over it but the media won’t forget about it in a hurry. I still would want us to finish outside the bottom 3 and the players show a bit of fight. There will be a lot of negative  energy going into next season otherwise. Smiths job could still be on the line. He shouldn’t get a free pass if we finish in the bottom 3 

Definitely, it will go to the strange measurement of watching us play and how we perform... If we finish bottom 3 but Smith shows something (anything...) that gives you hope for next season then you let it slide (change formation, bring in Barry and a few others, pull something out of the bag) if we merely turn up stroll round for a bit and lose every game 3-0 then the zero ramifications shouldn't matter 

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

Was chatting to mates about this earlier. I think a lot of older fans may turn their back on football. It feels like it won’t be the same again. The covid generation. 

Agree but think it's always the same with football - when it starts up again it'll soon drag you back in then it will be summer 21 the euros will be shit and it'll be going in the bin again... Then it'll have the Qatar world cup tester... It always comes back 

Insert pacino gif

Just now, villa4europe said:

Agree but think it's always the same with football - when it starts up again it'll soon drag you back in then it will be summer 21 the euros will be shit and it'll be going in the bin again... Then it'll have the Qatar world cup tester... It always comes back 

Insert pacino gif

That’s true. I have to admit I watched some World Cup classics on bbc yesterday and it gave me goosebumps. International football has had a bad rap in recent years but you can’t beat the World Cup and Euros for the pure emotion. 

The German Sports Minister has said that if any member of a team is infected, the whole club has to go into quarantine and any team they have played as well for 2 weeks. Just takes one player to stop the season

16 minutes ago, PaulC said:

We are in the middle of a global pandemic, most people genuinely won't care what the media think. A lot of Villa fans have probably got sick or died during this time, some pathetic small digs by Sky Sports or The Scum newspaper are not really relevant

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Jareth said:

If they need to play out the games to decide places and ban relegation then they might as well do one to New Zealand and complete it there - no tests needed other than upon arrival. 

Im in favour of this option tbf

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

The German Sports Minister has said that if any member of a team is infected, the whole club has to go into quarantine and any team they have played as well for 2 weeks. Just takes one player to stop the season

Well that's the end of playing the season out then. We should play our outstanding game against Sheffield Utd  if both teams have fully tested and 14 day quarantined players. 

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

What about Koln, apparently they have three players testing positive for Covid-19?

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

On a serious note there would still be a lot for the CLUBS to play for.  Every position higher in the league is worth something like an extra £2m per place. 

I doubt the players will think like this is motivation enough but a few places higher in the league can add big money. 

Going against my own desires....but anyway

If there is no relegation then players down there, like at Villa will not want to play and would we want to put them at risk.  It’ll be a farce anyway BCD at a neutral venue which is an easy excuse to use to get away from flak but why would we risk the likes of Jack in that environment, we just wouldn’t play him or put him in the squad.  

We still don’t know the long term effects of this virus either, we still don’t know what the insurance coverage is, so from purely business point of view why would you risk your biggest asset....I wouldn’t if there is nothing to play for.  I couldn’t give a damn if we end up in the bottom 3 if we don’t get relegated now.  

Everybody knows they are only playing for the money....integrity is false excuse and just a cover.  Worst case we just pretend that Jack has an injury like calf muscle or something.

p.s. Before anybody shouts, the above is purely talking business, obviously in real life, every person is equal and should be protected from the virus not just Jack.  Just putting it in business context, which I know is wrong but......

If they insist on doing this then they could do what they do in Argentina and base relegation on a points per game played over the 2 seasons. I think its over 3 seasons in Argentina.  I am hardly a expert in South American football (give Tim Vickery a call) but I wasn't aware they did this until recently.

That will give some meaning to these sterile BCD games  but not to have relegation entirely decided on it. If Villa are one of the third worst teams over two years  on a  points per game basis then frankly we would deserve to go down.

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Im in favour of this option tbf

I'm not as once they play games overseas's it opens it up to happen once we get back to ''normal'' 

Relegation at best of times is a shit show but this season you would go to the EFL who are struggling and where gate recepits are a bigger part of income , no fans all season will kill any club goin down with the loss of TV revenue.Then factor in even teams in PL are struggling and talk of hardly any transfers then we would find me might have to sell likes of Jack and Levy type prices .In our case if FFP is relaxed the owners might take the hit for a season

On Smith if the season hadn't suspended he was rumoured to have Chelsea to save his job , interesting to see if the season restarts and we lose that if he is given more time.

This whole restarting the season again is obviously about money which i get as that’s what the premier league is all about but I can’t help thinking that if Liverpool were not so far clear and add in the fact they haven’t one the league for 30 years I don’t think the would be such a big will to start. If Man City were two points clear I think most people would just say it’s unlucky 

18 hours ago, sidcow said:

There is a headline today on BBC website that teams are being enticed to agree the neutral venue solution in exchange for no relegation. 

If they do carry on which I still think is ridiculous, this is a fair solution. They get to pocket the cash, their dream of Liverpool winning the title comes to fruition, they can decide European places and teams like us don't get relegated in an unfair setting. 

If the TV people think they are going to get enthralling entertaining football they have another thing coming though. 

This story seems to be gathering pace.  Lots of coverage on BBC breakfast this morning. 

10 hours ago, Zatman said:

Well doesn't that now rule out any Koln games?  They've had 3 players diagnosed. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, nick76 said:

We still don’t know the long term effects of this virus either, we still don’t know what the insurance coverage is, so from purely business point of view why would you risk your biggest asset....

Players personal accident insurance is eye-wateringly expensive.  IF they also add to that cost by insuring disease as well I can 100% guarantee that if it doesn't already exclude pandemic, it definitely will at next renewal. 

What would be a logical date to have your players accident insurance due for renewal?