Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

16 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Maybe I’m saying this because it would turn out ok for Villa but when I see the reaction of some grown men that are Leeds and Liverpool fans at the suggestion of cancelling the season. It really does make me think people need to take a good look at themselves.  It’s a f**king game! 

Absolutely! But could you imagine the reaction from Villa fans if we were to be relegated would be any different? 

7 minutes ago, jim said:

Absolutely! But could you imagine the reaction from Villa fans if we were to be relegated would be any different? 

That’s true. Personally I don’t think I would care. My wife disagrees. She thinks I’d be distraught.

Maybe I’m just losing my love for the game. 

PS if they decide to end the season and not relegate us. I’m happy to void our bet ;)

13 hours ago, imavillan said:

So thats ok for Fulham, Brentford and Nottingham Forest who could go on a winning run like we did last season and overhaul either teams???

I just do not get how you can promote teams with 10 games to go. Like i've said previously, on that basis you would relegate the teams in the bottom. Whats the difference in doing that??

Are Coventry and Rotherham going to get promoted to the Championship? What about Oxford who are 2 points behind?

Crewe, Swindon Plymouth promoted from League 2? What about Exeter who are 1  point behind?

It goes on and on to all the clubs in the lower non league ladders

The feeling is to promote Leeds and West Brom because they are so far in front !!! Its 6 points, thats all, it's nothing in the run in with the pressures that that brings.

So you can promote teams based on not a full season but not relegate any??!!!

You simply can't have one rule for one and not the other.

Promoting teams and not relegating any could be based on positive discrimination, or whatever the legal term might be. The idea being obviously not doing harm to anyone, and taking only the positives.

However, this does not take away the relative unfairness to those teams below promotion teams currently in the Championship and lower leagues, who are dreaming of promotion. But in reality there is no way that can happen now. The alternative would be to cancel the season, and in that scenario those teams would not be promoted anyway.

Taking all this into account I feel like promoting two teams to higher leagues from each league and not relegating any would be pretty close to a best possible solution for everyone. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, imavillan said:

The suggestion that Leeds and WBA get promoted is an absolute nonsense. How on earth is that supposed to work then given that other teams can overhaul them with the amount of games left.

If you are going to promote with the outcome unknown, you may as well say relegate the three that are in the bottom now. Its just the same theory.

Under the most dramatic circumstances with a world pandemic, the only right and proper way to do this is to call the whole season void.

You just cannot give or take away things on the basis of probabilities and might be's.

Lets be real here. If we were in leeds or wba situation and this sort of argument was given against us and then they supported this decision we would be fuming.

Imagine we had to stay in championship and we had to sell grealish and mcginn as we never went up? With leeds they would have this scenerio with phillips. We would be going mental and say everyone is against us.

I dont like either club but it simply would not be fair to them if they voided and they had to go again in the championship.

If the league is voided then i think the best thing would be they come up and then either three come up following season and five go down, or two come up and four go down for one season only.

Championship top one comes up auto and 2nd to 5th play offs

• Like 1

Re: promotion/relegation

It’s the structure of the EFL that makes it hard for me to rationalize anyone being promoted or relegated. Every team plays every other home and away. It’s a balanced schedule for all. Cancelling the last 10 games takes away that balance.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Life isn't fair sometimes.

It isn't fair that we got promoted, despite finishing 5th. West Brom and Leeds have achieved nothing this season. Liverpool have more of a realistic argument, but again, they've achieved nothing.

The idea that things should be awarded before something is finished is just madness IMO. Shall we aware the title after 28 games next season too?

Exactly. It also isn’t fair that people are dying from a virus that originated 1000s of miles away.   I think people need some perspective. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jim said:

Don't think I'd be frothing at the mouth but after a fairly shit season which I haven't really enjoyed that much for various reasons from us being shit, refs being shit, VAR being shit, sky and commentators being shit.. I think if we were relegated now Id walk away

Doesn't matter if they finish the season in July, make us play Sheffield utd in a one off cup final type game or end the league now if we went down it would never be anything other than utter bollocks for me now 

2 hours ago, M_Afro said:

It’s truly ridiculous. People are still burying their heads in the sand. These are scary times when the year on year underfunding of the nhs will be exposed to all and people will die as a result.

My wife is a respiratory doctor. The head of service at her hospital gave a presentation on Friday showing how they may have to use tents within the hospital grounds to provide temporary beds to really sick patients. People think that this is going to just disappear but it won’t. The next 2 to 3 months could be devastating for our Country. I’m sorry but football just does not matter in these circumstances,

I think everyone here realises the seriousness of our situation, we have spoke about little else for the past week.

No one is downplaying the threat just want to focus on something lighter for a few moments.

This is an escape thread, if you dont want to do that then just keep away from this one. 

The sad reality is that I do not envision a scenario where there will be any football for the rest of 2020. Even with an enforced winter break or suspension of domestic cup competition. The winter wave of the virus will hit much harder. And the governmental response, boosted by powers granted, will prevent such large gatherings and events happening. I don’t even know if they can guarantee full season in 20/21, given the rates in other countries and here. We might just all have to decide such matters over FIFA or PES. 

Wayne Rooney made some valid points about how footballers and fans were treated like Guinea pigs, it shouldn’t have taken Arteta’s illness to bring about postponement. Even if we charitably accept their explanation, and muddled governmental thinking and planning.

Of course, I want Villa to stay in this league, despite the utter nativity in our defence, and with these final games could still stay up. Nothing is determined, not at the bottom nor at the top of the Championship. If companies like Virgin can demand bailouts, I wonder when clubs will ask the same. The treatment of the likes of Bury and others has been nothing short of a scandal, not to mention the overspends in the Championship and in this league on wages. It was never sustainable, and somehow, a pandemic has exposed this faults further. I foresee a scenario in 3-4 of a cancellation notice. I think other sports like the NHL and others will do the same. It’s a horrible situation but I don’t see a viable alternative.

• Like 1

I'm now mainly worried that this goes on for so long that footy won't restart till after November / December at which time they might accept that there is no way to play a full 2020/2021 season so they use the Jan - March period to finish this season off properly. 

I hope the player contract situation knocks that down though. 

49 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

The sad reality is that I do not envision a scenario where there will be any football for the rest of 2020. Even with an enforced winter break or suspension of domestic cup competition. The winter wave of the virus will hit much harder. And the governmental response, boosted by powers granted, will prevent such large gatherings and events happening. I don’t even know if they can guarantee full season in 20/21, given the rates in other countries and here. We might just all have to decide such matters over FIFA or PES. 

Wayne Rooney made some valid points about how footballers and fans were treated like Guinea pigs, it shouldn’t have taken Arteta’s illness to bring about postponement. Even if we charitably accept their explanation, and muddled governmental thinking and planning.

Of course, I want Villa to stay in this league, despite the utter nativity in our defence, and with these final games could still stay up. Nothing is determined, not at the bottom nor at the top of the Championship. If companies like Virgin can demand bailouts, I wonder when clubs will ask the same. The treatment of the likes of Bury and others has been nothing short of a scandal, not to mention the overspends in the Championship and in this league on wages. It was never sustainable, and somehow, a pandemic has exposed this faults further. I foresee a scenario in 3-4 of a cancellation notice. I think other sports like the NHL and others will do the same. It’s a horrible situation but I don’t see a viable alternative.

I'm completely with you on the no more football this calendar year.