Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

They will delay it again to about May and then probably have to cancel the season unless the numbers don't go up like the experts (sorry I mean boffins) predict. Even if they do cancel the Euros I can't see how they can squeeze in about 11/12 rounds of football in about  2 months, plus some sort of mini summer break for the players. I do have sympathy for the suits as they are not going to please everyone no matter what they decide on.

Edited by The Fun Factory

4 minutes ago, Londonastonvilla said:

I am missing football and it’s only been 1 day.

Least we haven't lost today. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

Least we haven't lost today. 

There is a big dilemma here,is it better to have no football and no pain (no woman no cry)

Or to have hope and most likely despair watching us trying to stay in the premier league.

If we are going to be encouraged to stay indoors for the next 3 months what are we going to do?Would watching Villa take our minds off the impending catastrophe or make it worse?

9 minutes ago, Londonastonvilla said:

Would watching Villa take our minds off the impending catastrophe or make it worse?

For me if they void the season it will be what keeps me going through the boredom of the next few months in the hope we go again in August.

4 minutes ago, tinker said:

We should just play our game in hand against Sheffield and so should city and arsenal then the league positions from there should be  used. 

Not sure that is fair either.  One win for any team makes a difference around us and there is still quarter of the season left.

Given WBA and Leeds are quite clear, have no relegation, promote those two for 22 league just for next season.

This money is too big to relegate teams based on not a full season.  I reckon there would be long legal proceedings if they did what you suggest because relegated teams wouldn’t accept it especially because of the money loss.

9 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

I wonder how the league would finish if they took all remaining fixtures and just used the result from the reverse fixtures.

It would be a farce if they did that but would be interesting. Pretty sure we'd still be in the bottom 3.

Kevin Friend would do the double of us that way

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tinker said:

We should just play our game in hand against Sheffield and so should city and arsenal then the league positions from there should be  used. 

Still not fair though. We’d still have 5 home games left and some rivals have 4. Haven’t played same clubs twice. It’s a mess. I’m 100% certain this will be a voided season or at least there will be no relegation.

6 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

I think the unprecedented nature of this pandemic means you can make it up as you go along a bit. 

Clearly the PL don't have a set in stone codified plan for an abandoned season or it would already be reported. Given that, let's try to minimise unfairness as best we can. 

At this stage, if the season is cancelled entirely and stricken from the records, Liverpool and their idiot supporters are unbelievably, crushingly hard done by. Bookies haven't even been taking bets on them to win the title for weeks. Relegation is still very much a 6-way dogfight. 

It's sport. We need to be sporting about it. 

sorry but this is utter tosh !!!!

how the hell do you think it's ok to ''make it up as you go along'' ???

on that basis i reckon we would have gone on another 10 game winning streak and finish on 55 points !!!!

Liverpool are going to lose the next 9

Man City are going to win the next 10

Who knows who will finish where and therefore take whatever prize money is on offer for each finishing position is? You are talking millions from position to position.

Then there is the Championship, League 1 & 2 to consider. What about Coventry? 7 Points in front, give the title to them? 

It's tough, but If the season is not going to be completed the only fair way is to call it null and void and write it off. That in my view is completely fair on everyone. 

And i'm not just saying that because we are in the bottom 3. 

Edited by imavillan
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Not sure that is fair either.  One win for any team makes a difference around us and there is still quarter of the season left.

Given WBA and Leeds are quite clear, have no relegation, promote those two for 22 league just for next season.

This money is too big to relegate teams based on not a full season.  I reckon there would be long legal proceedings if they did what you suggest because relegated teams wouldn’t accept it especially because of the money loss.

So thats ok for Fulham, Brentford and Nottingham Forest who could go on a winning run like we did last season and overhaul either teams???

I just do not get how you can promote teams with 10 games to go. Like i've said previously, on that basis you would relegate the teams in the bottom. Whats the difference in doing that??

Are Coventry and Rotherham going to get promoted to the Championship? What about Oxford who are 2 points behind?

Crewe, Swindon Plymouth promoted from League 2? What about Exeter who are 1  point behind?

It goes on and on to all the clubs in the lower non league ladders

The feeling is to promote Leeds and West Brom because they are so far in front !!! Its 6 points, thats all, it's nothing in the run in with the pressures that that brings.

So you can promote teams based on not a full season but not relegate any??!!!

You simply can't have one rule for one and not the other.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, imavillan said:

So you can promote teams based on not a full season but not relegate any??!!!

You simply can't have one rule for one and not the other.

I don't like it but you are right and I am afraid this will end up sinking us.

5 minutes ago, BigJim said:

I don't like it but you are right and I am afraid this will end up sinking us.

I disagree. PL clubs alone, of which we have a vote and influence, decide what will happen. They are not going to agree to a new rule part way through season to relegate clubs with loads of fixtures left.

If season not complete we are safe. PL could chose to invite the EFL to promote clubs too if they wished. The PL can always decide to increase or decrease the size of the division when they see fit with a 14 plus majority vote.

2 hours ago, Londonastonvilla said:

There is a big dilemma here,is it better to have no football and no pain (no woman no cry)

Or to have hope and most likely despair watching us trying to stay in the premier league.

"'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all"- Tennyson