Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

All this talk about promoting Leeds and Baggies, where does their prize money come from?  They are supposed to get, what £170m each? PL needs to find and extra £300m to give to them, can't see other clubs willing to reduce their projected prize money either. 

They could use the future now voided parachute payments I guess but that sure puts a kybosh on using that to help out lower league football. 

Edited by sidcow

10 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Well if the reports are correct and they think this will last until 2021 then next season could be a write off as well. What is happening? I want my mundane footballing existence back.

That's what worries me that they might abandon 2020/2021 and instead play the rest of 2019/2020 instead. 

I hope the player contracts issue means that can't happen though. The squads would have to be different. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, sidcow said:

That's what worries me that they might abandon 2020/2021 and instead play the rest of 2019/2020 instead. 

I hope the player contracts issue means that can't happen though. The squads would have to be different. 

The money aspect is I why I think they will have to abandon this season. If they play this season into next and end up with 1 completed season in almost 2 years, then they will lose billions in tv revenue and still have players to pay.

If they void this season they will get circa 75% of tv revenue and then they will try and fit in next season in full, even if that’s playing a lot of midweek games. That’s the only way I can see the PL maximising their income and I think we can all guess that will be their objective.

• Like 1

UEFA talking about postponing the euros and indicating that it will give the domestic leagues chance to complete their seasons.

i have a horrible feeling we'll be playing these last 10 games at some stage

• Sad 1

How can they postpone past June 30, with so many players out of contract as well.  Can’t remember Reinas contract but if he finishes 30th June and Heaton isn’t back that means we are short in goal (I know Nyland is there but keep with me).  All the options suggested have major problems with them and April is going to come and go fast with no ease on the virus.  This is going to get messy because whatever decision they make many are going to be shafted.

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

How can they postpone past June 30, with so many players out of contract as well.  Can’t remember Reinas contract but if he finishes 30th June and Heaton isn’t back that means we are short in goal (I know Nyland is there but keep with me).  All the options suggested have major problems with them and April is going to come and go fast with no ease on the virus.  This is going to get messy because whatever decision they make many are going to be shafted.

No idea if it would work, still don't think they'll be able to finish this season anytime soon. Better to just void it IMO

Contract chaos looms for footballers with season set to extend into the summer

New temporary contracts could be given the green light for players coming to the end of their current deals this season

Hundreds of professional footballers are sweating over the impact the coronavirus will have on their livelihoods and futures, despite the fact clubs expect to be given the green light to offer players coming towards the end of their contracts new temporary deals if the League season has to be extended.

The Premier League and Football League suspended all football until April 4 at the earliest because of the coronavirus outbreak, with another meeting on the subject scheduled for Thursday.

Uefa are expected to announce the postponement of this summer’s European Championships on Tuesday, which would potentially free up space for domestic football to be played into the summer.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/03/15/contract-chaos-looms-footballers-season-set-extend-summer/

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Yep I think the league cup is for it next season regardless in order to fit in more midweek games. Maybe even the FA Cup 

Would be sensible although the EFL and FA will probably want to protect revenue for the smaller clubs. They could try to have less rounds involving PL clubs somehow or allow those that want to opt out to do so.

Edited by Elton

13 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Well if the reports are correct and they think this will last until 2021 then next season could be a write off as well. What is happening? I want my mundane footballing existence back.

I don't think there will be the same sort of restrictions after the summer. Even if the virus comes back, which is likely, most people will have developed immunity, some treatments are likely to have been established, and those vulnerable people who survive this round will have a far less stretched health service to rely on. 

I really can't see them maintaining the sort of restrictions that we have now - the economic and social cost is massive.

Edited by PatrickCousens
  • Like 1

I think thise that think it be void are just being hopeful. They will explore every option to finish the season. 

Whether thats playing 3 games a week, starting the season later in july or august with the following season starting later and scraping the cups.

I cant see them scraping the season due to the lawsuits and problems it will cause

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think thise that think it be void are just being hopeful. They will explore every option to finish the season. 

Whether thats playing 3 games a week, starting the season later in july or august with the following season starting later and scraping the cups.

I cant see them scraping the season due to the lawsuits and problems it will cause

agreed. i reckon domestic and possibly even continental cups will be scrapped and you'd just condense the remaining 10 games + the full fixtures into next season. few week break in between for a transfer window perhaps

I read something over the weekend where a sports lawyer said that the best legal option was to void the season, that was option that would bring the least problems. 
Im guessing, but it’s possible this will come down to what the FA & Premier League authorities rule, guided by a vote of its members, ie the clubs.  So if the Premier League decided to void the season, backed by a majority of Premier League clubs, then they’d be in a stronger legal position. Ditto the FA. Majority vote could come into play.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

agreed. i reckon domestic and possibly even continental cups will be scrapped and you'd just condense the remaining 10 games + the full fixtures into next season. few week break in between for a transfer window perhaps

on that basis though how would a transfer window work? i know the has been a lot of talk about contracts expiring etc but how could a club prepare themselves for next season adequately if the season goes on till say Mid/end of July because lets be realistic about this its going to be mid may at the earliest before things could feasibly get going again and perhaps even latter. just pushing back the end of the season solves one problem and creates another 10. As with every possible solution if the leagues don't start playing by a certain point in the season then it makes completing the season very unlikely. I think all of the football leagues need to agree some timescales and outcomes against those timescales.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

The problem you’d have with that is the relegated clubs from Premier League will say that a few weeks is not enough to make the required changes needed. And sponsors of cup competitions will, rightly, argue for big compensation if other football goes ahead whilst their expensively sponsored competition gets shelved. Then there’s out of contract players and the transfer window to think about. Do we allow clubs to buy new players for the final 10 games? Or what if a club,such as Villa, lose a player like Grealish? Would that be fair for the final 10 games? Because it’d harm Grealishs career if he was forced to play the final 10 games of this season, get relegated, and have no transfer window following that to go to a club in the Premier League. The potential ramifications of trying to finish this season past June are huge. I honestly think that the football authorities need to start thinking of majority member voting to give any decisions some substance. And IMO I think a majority of members would vote to void the season. 

• Like 1

the problem with putting it to a vote is that so many teams have an ulterior motive for voting to void the season. any team who's not mathematically safe will obviously vote to void the season. as would teams such as spurs who've had a largely disappointing season. i dont see how you could put to a vote as it just wouldn't be fair.

based on what few messages have come out i really do think that they're going to do everything possible to complete the domestic seasons across europe. yes it would give them much more of a headache than just voiding them all for the valid concerns raised above regards to transfer windows, contracts etc, but those that run the game these days really are a daft bunch. whichever way they do it, i have no doubt they're going to royally balls it up

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

The problem you’d have with that is the relegated clubs from Premier League will say that a few weeks is not enough to make the required changes needed. And sponsors of cup competitions will, rightly, argue for big compensation if other football goes ahead whilst their expensively sponsored competition gets shelved. Then there’s out of contract players and the transfer window to think about. Do we allow clubs to buy new players for the final 10 games? Or what if a club,such as Villa, lose a player like Grealish? Would that be fair for the final 10 games? Because it’d harm Grealishs career if he was forced to play the final 10 games of this season, get relegated, and have no transfer window following that to go to a club in the Premier League. The potential ramifications of trying to finish this season past June are huge. I honestly think that the football authorities need to start thinking of majority member voting to give any decisions some substance. And IMO I think a majority of members would vote to void the season. 

They will keep the window open for longer i suspect.

I think there would be more legal action if the seaosn was void than finishing the season tbh

For me it's just so problematic whichever way you look at it. I agree the simplest option instead of trying to shoehorn a load of games into a ridiculously difficult set of circumstances is to just void it & re-run it. Of course there will be a few clubs annoyed & fans crying that the World is against them but frankly they have to just get a grip & realise that we are in the midst of the worst Pandemic since the Spanish Flu but with even worse ramifications due to the way the World is interlinked now in a much more intrinsic way. Saving lives is the only concern at this time, remember we may have in excess of 1.5 MILLION deaths+ just in the UK if worst case is realised. Football should just be voided and the season restarted from scratch once the coast is clear. Of course it would be hard on Liverpool & a few others but goodness me who cares in this situation. It would be hugely disrespectful to all of the dead & suffering on a never before seen scale to pipe up about what "might have been" in a flipping football season amidst these incredibly sad times.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OxfordVillan said:

I read something over the weekend where a sports lawyer said that the best legal option was to void the season, that was option that would bring the least problems. 
Im guessing, but it’s possible this will come down to what the FA & Premier League authorities rule, guided by a vote of its members, ie the clubs.  So if the Premier League decided to void the season, backed by a majority of Premier League clubs, then they’d be in a stronger legal position. Ditto the FA. Majority vote could come into play.

The Premier League IS the clubs. Whatever decision they make will be a vote of the 20 clubs, of which we are one of them. So you are exactly right but it’s not ‘vote could come into play’ - that will be the only decision-making process (beyond government rules of course).