Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

1 hour ago, Five Ken McNaughts said:

Yes, most likely scenario is a line through the whole season.

Second most likely (IMO) involves Liverpool being awarded the title while Leeds and West Brom are awarded promotion. Graded compensation for Championship teams in 3rd to 6th.

A 22-team PL would be the perfect excuse to scrap the League Cup and, even after two years of four going down to restore a 20-team PL, I doubt it would ever be seen again.

The final 8 of the Champions League would be played out in the US in late July / early August (one-leg matches), taking the place of the usual pre-season tournament there. Ditto the final 8 of the Europa League somewhere in the gulf states.

Both tournaments would provide the necessary boost for these summer "International Champions Trophy" competitions (or whatever the hell they are called) to complete the step-up from friendly games to officially sanctioned UEFA tournaments – being able to claim a shared heritage with the real deal. Thus making UEFA and the host countries very happy.

That's my best guess anyway.

Agree with this in general, except I think Liverpool will be awarded the title regardless. 

Liverpool fans will burn the league down at this stage given their lead, and nobody else will really complain vigorously if they're named as champions. Only Man City can catch them, and I feel like even Man City would do the sporting thing and concede it if asked. 

The PR move with the least risk is to award Liverpool the title. It's an unprecedented situation so the PL can basically make it up as they go, and they'll be aiming to keep it as fair and reasonable as possible to avoid a massive controversy. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, kidlewis said:

The idea on twitter I saw was a good one tbh.

award Liverpool the title and leave league as is.

promote Leeds and West Brom and relegate no one.

sides currently in playoffs have a late summer playoff. (Late July). 

23 league season in 2021 and five teams relegated. 

Remove premier league from the league cup as a result. 

I think that’s about as fair as you can do it. 

Still not fair really. Teams in the Championship in the playoff places are separated by a couple of points. With 9 games left, anything is possible.

Only fair thing is to completely void the season. Giving Liverpool the title is fine, they would have wrapped it up next weekend anyway.

• Like 3

Best solution for me is promote any team from any division who are in auto promotion spots. Don't relegate anyone as it is wrong to punish any team when technically they could have escaped. Then find a way to allow play offs for teams in playoff positions even if done on the eve of the new season. Each division then runs with a few extra teams for a year or two until balance is restored through adjusted relegation & promotions numbers.

I know i would say this as a Villa fan but it really is unfair to punish someone for a crime that has not been committed and similarly unfair to relegate a team when they had ample chance to escape.

A few extra games next season would be much easier to implement than trying to cram in a full 10 game fixture list with the current risks involved.

It would also be a great way to relaunch football with a bumper new season to look forward to and would also provide a good bargaining tool for the FA to get some leverage with the broadcasting companies who will no doubt want some sort of re-compensation.

Edited by danceoftheshamen
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, danceoftheshamen said:

I know i would say this as a Villa fan but it really is unfair to punish someone for a crime that has not been committed

Which is why voiding the season is the only thing that makes sense.

Liverpool have not won the title.
Leeds/West Brom have not won promotion.
Norwich/Villa/Watford/West Ham/Brighton/Bournemouth have not been relegated.

So why should any of the above things change? Just replay this season again. 

• Like 4

If it is all played out starting in a few weeks time. Probably mentioned already. But some players will be out of contract and cant play for their "old" team. Some may already have contracts to play for another team. Some teams may have planned work to be done to their grounds. Sponsors contracts may have run out. It could even cause teams to be bankrupt, paying players and  no revenue.

It would be a logistical nightmare to replay al the games. Lets just start again PLEASE

The last season to be stopped before it finished was 39/40 (WW2), although it's different as only 3 games were played - nobody was awarded the title, no promotion, no relegation. If a match is abandoned part way through, the game is replayed, regardless of the score.

This is the only real precedent we have of any kind. Both result in essentially pretending that event did not exist, and it's started over from scratch.

• Like 2

its not fair on any club.. liverpool have not won the league, they could loose every game & city win all theirs.

villa last year went on a mad winning run so any thing can happen, villa could win last 10 games ..30 points, we all know we can not but it could happen like last year.

draw a line through the season in every league & simply start again if & when its safe again

the legals in the clubs would go mad if the bottom 5 in prem were relegated . is it set in the rules ? NO ! so it can not happen.

the virus is getting worse, players will get it,no games will start in 3 weeks 

I keep reading it'll peak in May/June.

Even if it slows down in May and ends in June. Players will need to train, they can't be out of football for 2 months and be expected to play every 3 days. That means you're potentially looking at the season restarting again in the middle of June, and possibly not finishing until middle of August. Then they'll need pre-season break. There's just no way I can see them starting next season in October, not when they then potentially have the Euros to fit in the following summer.

12 hours ago, AVTuco said:

It only takes killing a couple hundred thousand people to keep Villa up. I'm all for it.

I like a joke as much as the next bloke  but this is in extremely bad taste, very offensive and not at all funny. There may be people on the forum who have lost loved ones already so to joke about ‘killing people’ is way out of line. (Sorry for post on poster, admins, but needs must)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Still not fair really. Teams in the Championship in the playoff places are separated by a couple of points. With 9 games left, anything is possible.

Only fair thing is to completely void the season. Giving Liverpool the title is fine, they would have wrapped it up next weekend anyway.

But it’s also not fair to void the season