Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

8 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

This is useful - I would add Man United voting to void it though.

But this is also before all the issues around player contracts etc. So I think 2/3 would just want to void it by default but more will when there are more issues arising. Either way I think the decision is weeks if not months away.

• Thanks 1

If Liverpool kicked up a fuss, I would suggest all clubs agree they win it and get the trophy.

It would be the shittiest way to claim a championship after all these years and they would be a laughing stock for having agreed to it. 

1 hour ago, PatrickCousens said:

I don't think there will be the same sort of restrictions after the summer. Even if the virus comes back, which is likely, most people will have developed immunity, some treatments are likely to have been established, and those vulnerable people who survive this round will have a far less stretched health service to rely on. 

I really can't see them maintaining the sort of restrictions that we have now - the economic and social cost is massive.

I think there is every chance that the restrictions will be in place for a long, long time. It may boil down to the case of weighing the economic & social cost, against the cost of the loss of additional human lives, due to the premature lifting or loosening of restrictions.   

Edited by John
  • Like 1

Leicester and Sheffield utd will stand to lose more than anyone else, Sheffield fans are convinced they'll beat us in their game in hand and get city's CL place so they'll go down fighting, sticking spurs in a CL spot would be utter bullshit

can seethe other clubs "gifting" it to Liverpool

will be really political though, if Liverpool vote to relegate the 3 teams currently in the bottom 3 then there's 3 no votes, + city + utd so theres 5...no doubt everton will see how friendly they all are and gobble them off for the good of the city

25 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

This is entirely assuming clubs will only vote for whatever outcome suits the club more, and ignore any implications or health issues to players, staff and their extended families. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

This is useful - I would add Man United voting to void it though.

But this is also before all the issues around player contracts etc. So I think 2/3 would just want to void it by default but more will when there are more issues arising. Either way I think the decision is weeks if not months away.

It looks like the clubs will vote selfishly for the option that best suits them. No shock there then. In the same way, the PL will want to complete this season, to protect the television income. I have no trust in their motivation for making the decision. Whether their decision will really matter is unclear, this virus may determine when we can safely play again in any case.   

I think maybe the fairest solution would be no relegation in any division and allow top 2 up so therefore a 22 team premier league nest season with 4 down 2 up to readjust the number for the following season . I don’t think there’s Much chance of restarting the season in the next 4 months 

I really don't think the TV money or sponsorship would be a big issue, the negative PR a company would get for suing clubs or the PL for missed fixtures in the wake of a global pandemic is simply not worth it for these companies. If sky decided to sue the PL and clubs ended up in severe financial trouble on the back of it you'd see people cancelling sky en masse and even the PL refusing to deal with them afterwards. It just wouldn't be worth it. I think they won't kick up a fuss, get their contracts extended by a year as compensation and take the hit.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, weedman said:

I really don't think the TV money or sponsorship would be a big issue, the negative PR a company would get for suing clubs or the PL for missed fixtures in the wake of a global pandemic is simply not worth it for these companies. If sky decided to sue the PL and clubs ended up in severe financial trouble on the back of it you'd see people cancelling sky en masse and even the PL refusing to deal with them afterwards. It just wouldn't be worth it. I think they won't kick up a fuss, get their contracts extended by a year as compensation and take the hit.

Interesting to see How sky deal with the subscribers not getting the service they are paying for too - lives are far more important than sport or money ultimately  

Edited by Eastie

The only actual fair way of dealing with this is to null and void the season.

Yes, it’s unfair to those well positioned to achieve something but it’s one rule applied across everyone involved, if you start pulling teams out and awarding them prizes based off assumptions then it becomes skewed and selective.

Void off the entire season, make it happen.

• Like 4

I think they'll try and complete it by making teams play games behind closed doors. Then a few teams will have to self isolate again as players inevitably come down with it and they will end up having to abandon it. 

Basically, they'll **** it up. 

• Like 1

Just now, picicata said:

I think they'll try and complete it by making teams play games behind closed doors. Then a few teams will have to self isolate again as players inevitably come down with it and they will end up having to abandon it. 

Basically, they'll **** it up. 

yep sounds about right!

1 hour ago, Eastie said:

Interesting to see How sky deal with the subscribers not getting the service they are paying for too - lives are far more important than sport or money ultimately  

Subscribers are not paying for PL football - they are paying for a channel.

If Sky decided that from tomorrow SkySports shows nothing but Teletubbies, I guess that is their right to do so and people who are under contract with Sky will still have to pay. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Subscribers are not paying for PL football - they are paying for a channel.

If Sky decided that from tomorrow SkySports shows nothing but Teletubbies, I guess that is their right to do so and people who are under contract with Sky will still have to pay. 

maybe another potential silver lining - people will finally **** sky off

as someone who hasn't had it for nearly 3 years now I can tell you the idea of going back is mental to me

45 minutes ago, PaulC said:

The intention of the Premier League is to complete the season. They all agreed on sky yesterday that it should be completed as well  and I think it will. 

All? 😱 Was that all of the pundits, or all of the clubs? It would be turkeys voting for Christmas, in the case of Norwich and us, to name but two. 

just peering around other forums and it looks like Watford would be the most hit club if it came to extending contracts. According to their forum, Ben Foster, Mariappa, and Holebas all have contracts expiring on the 30th. Throw in Pearson's and they could be looking at a pretty different squad.

36 minutes ago, John said:

All? 😱 Was that all of the pundits, or all of the clubs? It would be turkeys voting for Christmas, in the case of Norwich and us, to name but two. 

I don't think it can be all of the clubs, when West Ham and Spurs both suggested voiding the season at last weeks meeting. Would be a pretty big U Turn from them to suddenly say 'let's finish the season'

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, John said:

clubs are probably paying lip service, saying things like 'rather we stayed up on merit' but realistically we'd love to avoid relegation due season being cancelled

we watch this lot week in week out...no chance we're avoiding relegation if we have to play these matches