Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

7 hours ago, stewiek2 said:

I think they'll reel it back to every teams points tally after 28 games and decide the league positions based on that.

Wouldn't that be unfair for those team who got tougher fixtures at an earlier point in the season? 

11 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Wouldn't that be unfair for those team who got tougher fixtures at an earlier point in the season? 

Agreed also our home form is miles better than our away form so the fact we have 6 home games left and only 4 away has to be argued.

There should be no ifs and buts only finish or void.

Some winners some losers if its voided but I think if it gets worse like they are predicting then people will be more worried about having a job!

Hopefully it does not come to that and we can get back to normal by the start of next season.

Well Norway seem to think it's unlikely to see a normalised society until October, and that's with us shutting down for the initial stage. God knows how the UK who keeps everything going will get affected. Cheltenham going on I see. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robtaylor200 said:

At the moment no team that I am aware of has won or lost anything - all scenarios are mathematical possible. Lets call the whole thing off 

That way there's no either, either, neither, neither about it. 

• Haha 1

There's talk of having no domestic cups next season - possibly no European competition either - just the domestic league seasons, starting whenever they can whether that be September, October, November, whatever. In fairness, I'm not against that.

The deadline for this season will be player contracts - we've got 10 games still to play and that's going to take at least five weeks to get done - with contracts ending and renewing on 1st July, we can count back five weeks from 30th June and we need to be playing the first one by 26th May - that means we'd be looking for the country to be pretty much out of this by mid-May. I can't see that happening.

If we go beyond that, then we could end up playing Newcastle with Reina in goal for them and Keinan leading their line. Players that are out of contract or on loan could transfer before the season completed - it's hard to see how the league could stop that happening without interfering with the right of those players to work and earn a living - and it would make a mockery of the sporting integrity of the season.

I can't see any way this season gets finished. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I guess one option can be starting the last 10 matches upcoming Autumn then the next season is just one match against each team, i.e. 19 matches. Home and away decided by draw. Then restart fresh after that. 

By August you'd have different squads - it wouldn't be the same competition.

• Like 2

Yep. Even taking out the fact that it would massively benefit us, scrapping the seaosn is clearly the least worst option by far. The only question really is how it's done.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 3

IMO there are only two viable options, the season either gets completed or it gets voided. Anything else would bring multiple protests/legal actions. As somebody above has said, if the season is voided then the reality is that that nobody has won or lost anything, only theoretical outcomes. The peak of this virus is predicted in June, can we realistically expect to be back to “normal” before then? I’d say no chance. So unless the authorities are prepared to scrap domestic cups, European competitions etc, and finish this season into the autumn and then immediately run into the 2020/21 season, then there is no chance of completing the current season.  I can’t imagine any of the sponsors of cup competitions being content with the scrapping of them. This will have to be a majority European decision on the voiding or continuation of football seasons.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

IMO there are only two viable options, the season either gets completed or it gets voided. Anything else would bring multiple protests/legal actions. As somebody above has said, if the season is voided then the reality is that that nobody has won or lost anything, only theoretical outcomes. The peak of this virus is predicted in June, can we realistically expect to be back to “normal” before then? I’d say no chance. So unless the authorities are prepared to scrap domestic cups, European competitions etc, and finish this season into the autumn and then immediately run into the 2020/21 season, then there is no chance of completing the current season.  I can’t imagine any of the sponsors of cup competitions being content with the scrapping of them. This will have to be a majority European decision on the voiding or continuation of football seasons.

it's easier or harder, whichever way you look at it, that liverpool are so far ahead. no one can say with a straight face that liverpool winning the league is a 'theoretical outcome'. it's going to happen. they need 3 points.

if teams at the top were neck and neck, voiding the season would be the logical option

• Like 1

Whilst I have enjoyed some games this season, the same does not apply to quite a few of our matches. I therefore have no desire to prolong this season into the late summer or autumn, just to finish it. There is also no guarantee, that we will be able to play football again within six months (after all, they said that WW1 would be over by Christmas in 1914).

This season should also not be finished, at the cost of making next season a drastically shortened one. This season must always remain frozen in time, we can hopefully then start a new season and complete that one. Not every club will be happy about that, but anything else would be likely to be even less favourably received. You can't please all of the people, but this would satisfy more than a few. 👍

• Like 1

I just don't see how you can crown Liverpool as champions but no teams get relegated. Whilst it's still mathematically possible that Liverpool won't win the league, they shouldn't be given the title in the event that the season is cancelled.

That isn't said because I don't want Liverpool to win the title, they clearly deserve it, but... They haven't won it yet. 

• Thanks 1

Sod Liverpool. They should've beat Watford instead of screwing us over. If they had done what the were supposed to do they would be Champions already so tough luck. 

• Like 3

this skysports stuff is complete and utter bollocks

speaking only under the condition of anonymity meaning that they're under no circumstances allowed to tell you who he is a senior source at a premier league club has started telling that weasel of a journalist Kaveh exactly what happened at yesterdays meeting

of course he **** did

40 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I just don't see how you can crown Liverpool as champions but no teams get relegated. Whilst it's still mathematically possible that Liverpool won't win the league, they shouldn't be given the title in the event that the season is cancelled.

That isn't said because I don't want Liverpool to win the title, they clearly deserve it, but... They haven't won it yet. 

Liverpool are 25 points clear and could win the title this weekend if games were played. Nobody can get relegated for at least another 4 weeks (imo). 

• Like 1

One way to get season finished,take full squads of all teams in premier league away together ,expose them to virus so everybody gets it.

Play rest of games behind closed doors.

Voiding season could cause big financial problems.Sky and BT are not going to pay teams full season amount unless games are played.

Who pays players salaries for next 6 months if no football ?