Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

I think we will know more after this Uefa meeting as all major leagues in Europe will have to act consistently.  I think the probability will be 2020 Euros pushed to 2021 and initially push the leagues back to a May starting point and then probably just scrap them and start again in the autumn in a condensed 2020-21, which will probably finish off the League Cup. Cheez can't believe I am saying it.

15 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

They should scrap ffp for this season if  this was the case

But even wealthy owners will be hit by this. Can you imagine sales of Adidas products going through the roof at this moment? 

There are not that many companies that can survive if their cash stream is turned of instantly. And that's what's happening in many industries. There will be less tourism and people will stay more at home, creating problems in other industries as well. With an uncertain situation, people will also be more careful with how they spend their money.

What would happen to Villa if the owners run out of cash, we're relegated and have to play games behind closed doors? It's a worst case scenario of course, but clubs depening on wealthy owners could easily find that their owners don't have quite the same amount of cash to invest. 

What is needed now is stabilty. There will be economic long term effects on this Corona virus which is far more important than just getting a winner and relegating three clubs. 

Having said that, I think we're one of the more fortunate clubs because our owners have deep pockets. But they are also involved in other companies who might need a lot of cash.

Looks like they will go all out to finish the club season no matter what it takes so we'll probably end up relegated despite all this.

Still hope they will scrap the season but apparently the various leagues around Europe are adamant it should finish. Money talks. Shame for us.

8 minutes ago, sne said:

Looks like they will go all out to finish the club season no matter what it takes so we'll probably end up relegated despite all this.

Still hope they will scrap the season but apparently the various leagues around Europe are adamant it should finish. Money talks. Shame for us.

Your statement is in contrast to everything we are hearing. The world is in lockdown and you think football will somehow miraculously continue?

Just now, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Your statement is in contrast to everything we are hearing. The world is in lockdown and you think football will somehow miraculously continue?

Not continue. But the noise coming out from UEFA is that they will move the EURO's to either this winter or next summer so the leagues can have a chance to play their remaining games this summer or even in August-September. A restart sometime this summer is what they are pushing for.

Personally I think this will drag on for longer than they hope so that this will not be possible either and they'll be forced to finally scrap the season. But at least La Liga and a few more are desperate for the games this season to be played and this league season to finish no matter what.

After the UEFA video meeting they will announce a one year postponement of the Euros and an intention to complete all domestic leagues in full during May and June to establish relegation, promotion and European qualifications. If games are postponed until June and July, the domestic leagues will still complete but the 2020/21 season will have a delayed start in September with individual countries to manage their own congestion during a slightly compressed new season (for example, not playing the League Cup).

Of course, they could announce the voiding of all domestic leagues but that could cause threats of court action by clubs seeking promotion so, at this time, I will be surprised if they announce anything other than the intention (above) and a ‘wait and see’ comment. I don’t think they will announce contingencies should games be delayed beyond June.

All just guesswork and a short but appreciated distraction for me,

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, brommy said:

After the UEFA video meeting they will announce a one year postponement of the Euros and an intention to complete all domestic leagues in full during May and June to establish relegation, promotion and European qualifications. If games are postponed until June and July, the domestic leagues will still complete but the 2020/21 season will have a delayed start in September with individual countries to manage their own congestion during a slightly compressed new season (for example, not playing the League Cup).

Of course, they could announce the voiding of all domestic leagues but that could cause threats of court action by clubs seeking promotion so, at this time, I will be surprised if they announce anything other than the intention (above) and a ‘wait and see’ comment. I don’t think they will announce contingencies should games be delayed beyond June.

Yup, pretty much exactly this.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, sne said:

Not continue. But the noise coming out from UEFA is that they will move the EURO's to either this winter or next summer so the leagues can have a chance to play their remaining games this summer or even in August-September. A restart sometime this summer is what they are pushing for.

Personally I think this will drag on for longer than they hope so that this will not be possible either and they'll be forced to finally scrap the season. But at least La Liga and a few more are desperate for the games this season to be played and this league season to finish no matter what.

Despite my wishes (for obvious Villa related reasons!), I think there will be a push to complete the leagues whenever possible. Even if that were in October and November with a shortened new season starting at Christmas (perhaps home or away, drawn by lots).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brommy said:

This is exactly what i think will happen. They wont get much of a pre season but they would ahve had a few months off now so i dont think they need a long pre season 

EURO's moved to next season so that the domestic leagues will have a chance to finish, as expected.

11th June - 11th July 2021 it is. Still to be played in the same retarded format apparently.

It will change again. Players will continue to get infections, much like the wider population. Especially given the current advice. A Hertha Berlin player tested positive, having caught the headline earlier. 

It's woefully naive of UEFA to think this resolves the domestic situations, it won't. Expect further announcements in a few weeks. We still don't know the risks of infected people going back into large populations will have, and, as cases in Japan have shown, people get infected again. The priority should be financial compensation for clubs, their staff, and fans. It remains focused on the opposite. It's a sad state of affairs. 

Edited by The_Steve
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, nick76 said:

No disrespect but this would have to be the one of the lowest options possible, way below voiding the season or that.  Moving teams to another country especially gulf countries would be a logistical nightmare.  Not only PL but Spanish, German, Italian and all the other leagues.  You couldnt just do one league plus I think they are going to decide as a European thing.  Then is it just top league and not the lower leagues, how does that work.  Then players conditioning playing in the gulf summer weather when they arent prepared for for a long duration of a month or two in that type of weather.  What about security, training facilities etc....these things take time/years for countries to set up for major tournaments and now a proposal for a month or so for more teams.  I just dont think it is workable, I think it creates far more problems than solution.  

But it will be one of the few solutions Sky would ask for. Especially if there were funding from the countries here. I doubt there is enough time or if its a realistic solution. But PL and Sky will push for continuing the League and I can’t see it completed in the UK. 

Exactly I agree especially when we’re talking about the lower leagues, that would be a problem more than other European leagues. I don’t think there is a solution rather than voiding the season but they’ll look at different scenarios I guess.

I think they are just playing for time. Postponing  for one event that happens every four years is one thing, to potentially make every league this season in Europe null and void is a different thing altogether. I can hear suits being hired as we speak. It could be one almighty row.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

It will change again. Players will continue to get infections, much like the wider population. Especially given the current advice. A Hertha Berlin player tested positive, having caught the headline earlier. 

It's woefully naive of UEFA to think this resolves the domestic situations, it won't. Expect further announcements in a few weeks. We still don't know the risks of infected people going back into large populations will have, and, as cases in Japan have shown, people get infected again. The priority should be financial compensation for clubs, their staff, and fans. It remains focused on the opposite. It's a sad state of affairs. 

I think what we’re seeing/hearing is the process that uefa/authorities have to go through, legally. They have to be seen to have  tried every option possible to complete the season in a reasonable timescale. When the inevitable abandonment of the season happens, potential legal actions are nullified. 
The next part I expect to hear is the reported date of June 30th for ALL domestic football seasons to have been completed. For that to happen would require a minimum 5wks for the Premier League, which would mean returning to games by, latest, May 23rd. The peak of this virus is predicted late May into June. So games would need to restart at the expected PEAK of this outbreak. I really don’t imagine many clubs/players/staff etc wanting to return then. 

3 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

I think what we’re seeing/hearing is the process that uefa/authorities have to go through, legally. They have to be seen to have  tried every option possible to complete the season in a reasonable timescale. When the inevitable abandonment of the season happens, potential legal actions are nullified. 
The next part I expect to hear is the reported date of June 30th for ALL domestic football seasons to have been completed. For that to happen would require a minimum 5wks for the Premier League, which would mean returning to games by, latest, May 23rd. The peak of this virus is predicted late May into June. So games would need to restart at the expected PEAK of this outbreak. I really don’t imagine many clubs/players/staff etc wanting to return then. 

Good points, you're most likely correct about the legalities of it. This is such an unprecedented situation after all 

34 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I think they are just playing for time. Postponing  for one event that happens every four years is one thing, to potentially make every league this season in Europe null and void is a different thing altogether. I can hear suits being hired as we speak. It could be one almighty row.

That's correct I think. They won't announce to the world on March 17th that the season will be voided.

They are not health experts and can say little about what the situation will look like in June. And the same goes for everyone else.

But it would look very strange if UEFA cancel their tournament based on domestic leages should be able to finish, and the very same day the FA and Premier League decide to void the season as they don't think they will be able to play games in June/July.

But the season will be voided at some point in time as it will be impossible to finish it. They expect the Corona to reach epidemic stages in May, which means players will have it and whole squads might be in quarantine. The easy solution to this is to void the season, have the transfer window opened on July 1st and let everyone play 20/21 in the division they currently are in. That season should start when it's supposed to start, even if it means some early games would be played behind closed doors.

They will have enough trouble as it is by organizing the 20/21 season and don't need to add another 10 games. However, they won't admit that today.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, abdulaziz1 said:

But it will be one of the few solutions Sky would ask for. Especially if there were funding from the countries here. I doubt there is enough time or if its a realistic solution. But PL and Sky will push for continuing the League and I can’t see it completed in the UK. 

Exactly I agree especially when we’re talking about the lower leagues, that would be a problem more than other European leagues. I don’t think there is a solution rather than voiding the season but they’ll look at different scenarios I guess.

Seeing this happening now, all their "experts" saying that the league should be finished and it would be ridiculous to null and void it. Without a care in the world about what's actually going on out there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sne said:

I don't see how. If there's a rule set for the premier league to finish, then all leagues finish. That includes the further down the step scale you go. I know clubs who have a huge backlog of fixtures anyway due to flooding, and players with families who have summer holidays booked around the football season. Or time booked off work to be with their loved ones in the summer and they wouldn't want to be playing football. This isn't just what suits the premier leagux, this decision has to suit all levels of the game. Playing in the summer doesn't suit all levels of the game. I think the authorities will face huge problems from its members if they are forced to play on. It could change the face of the game as a whole. Particularly further down the scale.