Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

43 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

clubs are probably paying lip service, saying things like 'rather we stayed up on merit' but realistically we'd love to avoid relegation due season being cancelled

we watch this lot week in week out...no chance we're avoiding relegation if we have to play these matches

I agree, its not as if relegating Villa will benefit anyone. If lets say relegating Villa would mean they’ll find a medicine which would help people or or or I’d say yes its more important than football. Relegate whoever. But when it comes to these circumstances our board need to get the best for the club. They’ll not be the world saviors. Infact us asking for cancelling the season is more safer for players and fans. So its two in one.

I can’t blame Liverpool, West Brom and Leeds for asking other things which are in their benefits. They’re not forcing for teams to play (which would be selfish and not think of the general damage). They just want to force for something in their benefit (without harming society or whatever). 

I don’t think its wise for anyone to not keep pushing for his club benefit. Its not contradicting with ethics or whatever. Its not as if they started pricing medical things higher or things like that. They are responsible of the club benefit. As long as it doesn’t affect the society then its their right to fight for their clubs. Their investments could be well gone if they just didn’t try.

13 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

Does this statement from the Government effectively end the 2019/2020 season?

The government will also no longer support mass gatherings with emergency workers.

I would guess so yes, as emergency services are a requirement to run games aren't they?

6 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

I would guess so yes, as emergency services are a requirement to run games aren't they?

Plus the estimates of it hitting it's peak in 12 weeks time means it's peak is around 5th June. The peak of the pandemic. Think this season as done and dusted.

15 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

Plus the estimates of it hitting it's peak in 12 weeks time means it's peak is around 5th June. The peak of the pandemic. Think this season as done and dusted.

When is the new season meant to start?

3 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

When is the new season meant to start?

First week of August usually, I can’t see how they’ll fit the remaining games and a closed season in before then. It’s highly likely the European championships will be cancelled but it’s still looking like a write off. 

The longer it goes the worse it will be to resume because of fitness of players, they will turn into summer training schedules and match fitness will be gone by June so it will be closer to preseason type games, getting match fitness again.  Then do we crush the final games into a month so it doesn’t impact next season or do they stretch it a bit so we almost roll into next season.  Transfer windows, expiring contracts at the end of June (not all players want to stay at their current club or clubs want to expire some contracts).  

The fact that estimations still have the peak of this virus not for another month or two in the uk means it’s months after that that we can even think about football back to normal.  

Feel sorry for those who are going to have to sort this out because whatever decision they make somebody is going to get shafted.....I hope it’s not us.

Yes, I think more clubs will want it void than people think.  They will want certainty about players and contracts. Especially when income is tight anyway because of missed games.  They will want certainty about budgets.  The sooner the decision is made the sooner they know what is what. 

Hopefully FFP is  completely abandoned also. 

Tbh.

If the FA/PL and clubs do the right thing, the league will be cancelled.

If the FA/PL care more about the money than doing the right thing, they will try and get the season underway again.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

The meltdown of plop fans if season cancelled and no title will be one of biblical proportions.

They have already told me they will boycott football. So come on PL do us a favour 😂

52 minutes ago, Zatman said:

They have already told me they will boycott football. So come on PL do us a favour 😂

Covid is awful and I feel dreadful for all who are anxious or suffering, but if there is one tiny silver lining to it, it is seeing their fans absolutely apoplectic with rage. In the words of Martin Tyler " I swear you'll never see anything like this ever again!" 

I think they might consider playing games in other countries if things improved there. Not sure wether it will be with behind closed doors or not. But I think it's a hard one as more importantly, it's the lower leagues that'll be affected more apart from Liverpool.

The cost of moving whole teams will be too much, unless they're hosted by a certain country (well most likely in Gulf region).

I still think that won't happen. Although I'd selfishly like the look of it for Villa to play in our country for couple of games, but I'm not sure we'll guarantee staying up.

Anyway that would depend about the situation here before deciding anything. I don't even think it's a likely scenario but I think it's still a possibility. Because Sky and PL will try their best to force a season. I don't think there will be enough time to play it in Europe.

Now all of our countries are closed for the next two weeks, I think if things improved some Gulf countries will open into each other again. So that can also help in terms of using other countries facilities. Especially with local leagues coming back again.

Again, in any other scenario I'd have liked the PL to be played here. But it would be harsh on us to play 6 home games not infront of our own fans. We'd lose that advantage.

4 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

I think they might consider playing games in other countries if things improved there. Not sure wether it will be with behind closed doors or not. But I think it's a hard one as more importantly, it's the lower leagues that'll be affected more apart from Liverpool.

The cost of moving whole teams will be too much, unless they're hosted by a certain country (well most likely in Gulf region).

I still think that won't happen. Although I'd selfishly like the look of it for Villa to play in our country for couple of games, but I'm not sure we'll guarantee staying up.

Anyway that would depend about the situation here before deciding anything. I don't even think it's a likely scenario but I think it's still a possibility. Because Sky and PL will try their best to force a season. I don't think there will be enough time to play it in Europe.

Now all of our countries are closed for the next two weeks, I think if things improved some Gulf countries will open into each other again. So that can also help in terms of using other countries facilities. Especially with local leagues coming back again.

Again, in any other scenario I'd have liked the PL to be played here. But it would be harsh on us to play 6 home games not infront of our own fans. We'd lose that advantage.

No disrespect but this would have to be the one of the lowest options possible, way below voiding the season or that.  Moving teams to another country especially gulf countries would be a logistical nightmare.  Not only PL but Spanish, German, Italian and all the other leagues.  You couldnt just do one league plus I think they are going to decide as a European thing.  Then is it just top league and not the lower leagues, how does that work.  Then players conditioning playing in the gulf summer weather when they arent prepared for for a long duration of a month or two in that type of weather.  What about security, training facilities etc....these things take time/years for countries to set up for major tournaments and now a proposal for a month or so for more teams.  I just dont think it is workable, I think it creates far more problems than solution.  

Sorry, but spending the summer to finish the season won't work.

Players are not immune to Corona, and there will be individual players and perhaps whole teams that can't play. That will influence both the strenght of the team and if a game can be played or not. Even if it's played behind closed doors. That's unfair.

There is a summer transfer window to come. This is when players change their jobs. Should we spend like a Premier League club, only to start the season in the Championship? Should the transfer deadline be delayed? What about players with contracts expiring on July 1st? 

I think starting a season in August will be difficult enough, but by July 1st clubs and players should know which season they're supposed to start in. 

Do an extra playoff round or two to decide European qualification, void the season and let's hope that by July 1st the situation is as close to normal that clubs can prepare for a new season.

Seems to me, the way things are headed, that any decision other than to void the season will fly in the face of everything else going on. Anyone seeking to carry on for financial or personal reasons will be in the middle of a PR shitstorm. And rightly so. Almost every other industry/profession is being told to stay at home, to socially isolate where possible. The football authorities have no other viable option other than to void either this season or next season, ie if this season is to be completed then it’ll have to happen sometime into what would be the 20/21 season.