Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

Several comments i have read saying that it will potentially affect next season in the same way too but having just listened to an interview with a University lecturer who is helping with research on the virus it appears they are making progress on a vaccine although of course it still has to be completed & then tested on humans which would take several months to complete. So you would think that the impact would likely be much less next season ... Again simply voiding or cancelling this season with a few adjustments like crowning Liverpool champs, promoting teams but not relegating them would appear to be the least disruptive option. Then next season starts with hopefully a vaccine all but ready for the winter months and everything goes back to normal with a 22/23 team Premier League "super season" so to speak. As has been said cancel the League & FA cups for a year to compensate for the extra games & jobs done.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Londonastonvilla said:

One way to get season finished,take full squads of all teams in premier league away together ,expose them to virus so everybody gets it.

Who gets to go to prison for pre meditated murder when one or two of them die? 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Who gets to go to prison for pre meditated murder when one or two of them die? 

Players will need to sign to document accepting full risk.

They have choice lose 1/4 of this years wages or finish season.

On a more serious point this could be where big money funding premier league stops for a while .People are going to be cancelling their sky sports subscriptions .How are Clubs with very big wage bills going to pay their players?

13 minutes ago, Londonastonvilla said:

They have choice lose 1/4 of this years wages or finish season.

So subject themselves to a virus or have their wages docked?

You're all heart you pal. 

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The best solution I have heard so far is Liverpool are crowned champions. Leeds and Albion are promoted. No relegation. Following season 4 go down and 2 come up.

I don’t know how this will determine European places though.

don't know how anyone could think that not relegating teams as the season hasn't finished but promoting teams because they happen to be in those positions at the moment makes any sense. Leeds/WBA have not won the league, they are not guaranteed a top two finish so why on earth would they be promoted. Same with the other leagues, Look at wycome in L1 they are currently 8th, not even in the play offs but if they win their game in hand they are joint 2nd. League 2 the top 5 are split by 5 points & two teams have played a game less...

If the seasons do not finish & they have no pre determined rule as to what would happen should the season fail to finish then the only sensible option is to completely void everything and start afresh with the same teams in the same competitions next season when possible & effectively just replay the entire season

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Like 1

Some teams are going to get s rough deal here, but if clubs were to take legal action:

1) Any team relegated before the conclusion of the season would likely win.

2) Any team arguing that they should have been promoted before the conclusion of the season would definitely lose. 

Like most things in football the financial aspect will play a huge a part, and for that reason I have little doubt that the season will be declared void. 

I think legally we have good points in our side, we’re not far adrift, have game in hand. Most of our coming fixtures are at home. I think we even have a right to ask for European places more than last season top 8, or even this voided season if it voided or whatever. We’re the only official runners up in a recognized competition (and the winner is banned from Europe).

Will they need all 20 teams to agree that Liverpool have won the league? Can they legally consider the season gone already because the 75% BS? 

40 minutes ago, Londonastonvilla said:

Personal injury waivers don't stand up in court and are not worth the paper they are written on, and that's just for civil compensation purposes.  They certainly wouldn't stop a criminal conviction. 

2 hours ago, danceoftheshamen said:

Several comments i have read saying that it will potentially affect next season in the same way too but having just listened to an interview with a University lecturer who is helping with research on the virus it appears they are making progress on a vaccine although of course it still has to be completed & then tested on humans which would take several months to complete. So you would think that the impact would likely be much less next season ... Again simply voiding or cancelling this season with a few adjustments like crowning Liverpool champs, promoting teams but not relegating them would appear to be the least disruptive option. Then next season starts with hopefully a vaccine all but ready for the winter months and everything goes back to normal with a 22/23 team Premier League "super season" so to speak. As has been said cancel the League & FA cups for a year to compensate for the extra games & jobs done.

According to the experts, a vaccine will take a year to be ready for use by the population.

The Times reports today that a senior figure in broadcasting said, "the commercial reality for the PL is that if they don't complete their seasons then they are in breach of their broadcasting contracts.You would have broadcasters from all around the world saying, "in that case we are not paying for the season" surely in these circumstances they would be expected to pay for the already televised games? 

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The best solution I have heard so far is Liverpool are crowned champions. Leeds and Albion are promoted. No relegation. Following season 4 go down and 2 come up.

I don’t know how this will determine European places though.

That does seem the most sporting solution to me too. Let's face it in it may well have saved us as I can't see how they will restart the season on the 3rd. By that time given how the UK is not taking WHO advice cases will be through the roof in the UK. Can't see anything other than a cancellation. Possibly a late start to next season, a vaccine is months away still and until that comes the only sensible option is containment. 

24 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

According to the experts, a vaccine will take a year to be ready for use by the population.

Off topic but Kate Broderick at the american lab I can't remember the name of has already tested positively in animals and will start human testing in April, the Dutch lab who were working on Sars have crossed over their work to covid19 and tests are positive so far, but they have yet to start human trials as well. Then there's the small matter of mass production....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, John said:

The Times reports today that a senior figure in broadcasting said, "the commercial reality for the PL is that if they don't complete their seasons then they are in breach of their broadcasting contracts.You would have broadcasters from all around the world saying, "in that case we are not paying for the season" surely in these circumstances they would be expected to pay for the already televised games? 

I don't see this being an issue, given the broadcasting partners will want to maintain what i'm sure is a very lucrative relationship with the Premier League. There's also no way they can just demand a refund for the entire season when they've made billions in advertising off of what has already been broadcast.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, John said:

I don't see any case whatsoever for money to be repaid for the games which happened.

I expect they will cut a deal which would be favourable to the PL for the games which haven't happened. The broadcasters won't kick up too much fuss as they still want to be in the seat for next season.  I can't imagine the PL awarding future packages to broadcasters who take them to the cleaners over this. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Off topic but Kate Broderick at the american lab I can't remember the name of has already tested positively in animals and will start human testing in April,

She can test it on me any night of the week...

p0863ykw.jpg

• Haha 1