Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

Just now, bobzy said:

From memory, Weimann was given offside when he wasn't (for a disallowed goal) and our penalty was soft.  I can see why they think they'd been harshly done by.

To be fair the penalty decision was an absolute farce and I would have been fuming if that was given against us.

I'm not sure the Weimann one was that clear cut. I remember it as being right on the line, but I thought it was offside based on one angle and possibly not based on another.

• Thanks 1

The Nantes General Director Franck Kita had a press conference in the last couple of hours. There was this tidbit on Rongier (via DeepAI translate):

"The door is only half-opened. He is an ambitious boy, who had a good season last year and we would like to keep him. He won't go anywhere and we won't let him go anywhere."

Source: Nantes Official Youtube Channel and le10sport

le10sport's article does not refer to Villa at all. Rongier's main link appears to be with Marseilles at the moment, who are looking at a couple of midfield options. They do refer back to an older article thinking he could be purchased for around £13.5m (which I think we knew already).

2 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

To be fair the penalty decision was an absolute farce and I would have been fuming if that was given against us.

I'm not sure the Weimann one was that clear cut. I remember it as being right on the line, but I thought it was offside based on one angle and possibly not based on another.

Sadly it's a little too late to award them a goal and take Tammy's penalty off us. ;) Let's give them £15m for Webster and call it quits. :D

25 minutes ago, AV82 said:

It's clear to me that we're taking our time given every single club, at least in England, are taking the p*ss with their valuation of players. Whether that's a product of our promotion or it being the market in general these days is up for debate. The hold-up on Wesley I'd attribute to the work permit application.

25 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

I think most of the fees being 'demanded' by Championship clubs are made up/rounded up.

For most that are true, I find it difficult to believe players would stick around at a club that had little or no chance of promotion to the Premiership and had priced them out of a move. Player power/lack of loyalty is still toxic not saying it's necessarily anyone's specific dream to play for Villa (Lolley aside) but players want money above all else, so blocking them will not end well.

I think there are three different "prices". 

1) The "£30 million" joke prices being quoted by trash newspapers and clickbait media sites for all the players we're supposedly being knocked back for (including the pathetic lie sheet that is Birmingham live).

2) The more considered (but still over the top) prices that some Broadsheet journalists are guessing at.

3) The actual prices (that we will probably never know) being discussed, rejected, increased, discussed etc between Villa and the club that owns the player we're interested in.  (Jota and El Ghazi may be examples of that)

When we complete a deal it will be "undisclosed" because that is the way Villa insist on doing business.

There is absolutely no role in this transfer window for tabloids and clickbait media, so they create a role for themselves by surfing Twitter and fan forums for bits of supposed ITK, invite washed up ex pros to comment daily (usually on some one they know f--- all about) and run with it to sell their adverts.

We keep these people in a job, because very occasionally someone out there comes up with proper ITK .... sadly I include myself as a browser of this rubbish.😕

As others have said, the prices we pay will be higher than the real value of the players we end up getting, because we are known to really need these players and have owners rich enough to get these "over priced" deals done, but we wont be paying the stupid prices that the internet is  currently awash with.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

The Bristol defender was naive enough to push Hourihane in the back which gave the attacker the opportunity to claim a penalty and the referee had to make the call - is the push a foul.

Why the offside Weimann goal is being revisited, I’ve no idea. It was shown at the time to be very tight but about half a yard offside. This is assuming the lines on the pitch are straight which they do tend to be at an award winning pitch. Video stills have proven this.

I think some of the opposing fans don’t like the hard truth at the time and come back on occasions to stir up something that, when looked at closely, wasn’t even controversial. Hilarious.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, John said:

Sadly it's a little too late to award them a goal and take Tammy's penalty off us. ;) Let's give them £15m for Webster and call it quits. :D

Right now I'd quite happily take a bit of EFL manufactured drama to keep me entertained.

It might even distract me enough to save me from getting the sack due to half of my recent output being Googling 'Aston Villa'.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Wes said:

"The door is only half-opened. He is an ambitious boy, who had a good season last year and we would like to keep him. He won't go anywhere and we won't let him go anywhere."

Source: Nantes Official Youtube Channel and le10sport

I am about as ITK as the local bobby on the pissup, but that sounds to me like a club that's accepted a player will leave this window. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bobzy said:

From memory, Weimann was given offside when he wasn't (for a disallowed goal) and our penalty was soft.  I can see why they think they'd been harshly done by.

Both true, although they only managed 1 shot on target in the whole game, we had 11 and hit the woodwork, so they weren't exactly robbed of 3 points. Were it not for their keeper having an inspired day they would of been battered. I get being salty about decisions not going your way, but the way their manager reacted  it felt more like he was deflecting from a poor performance in a pivotal game.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I think there are three different "prices". 

1) The "£30 million" joke prices being quoted by trash newspapers and clickbait media sites for all the players we're supposedly being knocked back for (including the pathetic lie sheet that is Birmingham live).

2) The more considered (but still over the top) prices that some Broadsheet journalists are guessing at.

3) The actual prices (that we will probably never know) being discussed, rejected, increased, discussed etc between Villa and the club that owns the player we're interested in.  (Jota and El Ghazi may be examples of that)

When we complete a deal it will be "undisclosed" because that is the way Villa insist on doing business.

There is absolutely no role in this transfer window for tabloids and clickbait media, so they create a role for themselves by surfing Twitter and fan forums for bits of supposed ITK, invite washed up ex pros to comment daily (usually on some one they know f--- all about) and run with it to sell their adverts.

We keep these people in a job, because very occasionally someone out there comes up with proper ITK .... sadly I include myself as a browser of this rubbish.😕

As others have said, the prices we pay will be higher than the real value of the players we end up getting, because we are known to really need these players and have owners rich enough to get these "over priced" deals done, but we wont be paying the stupid prices that the internet is  currently awash with.

Couldn’t have put it better myself 

If that Fulham player had been red carded for stomping on Grealish in the playoff final the previous season the Bristol game would never have happened, so if my aunty had balls she'd by my uncle and all that

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Ponky said:

If that Fulham player had been red carded for stomping on Grealish in the playoff final the previous season the Bristol game would never have happened, so if my aunty had balls she'd by my uncle and all that

Doubt it. We still wouldn’t have scored.

43 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Well Weimann was offside from what I saw on replays and we had two goals disallowed which both looked onside to me as well as hitting the bar and post, keeper making multiple saves and I'm sure we could have had another penalty.

So aside from going 1-0 up, which I'm highly confident we'd have turned over with ease, no they were not.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Interesting that Leeds have sold Clarke for £8.5m 
Do they really want £30m for Phillips? Think that's incredibly unlikely. 

A guy i work with is a big Spurs fan and we were talking about the Villa & Spurs connections to Leeds players. A couple of weeks ago he stated that Bielsa & Poch are mates as Bielsa basically taught Poch management. Looks to me like an "old pals favour" being done in the Clarke deal. I don't for one second think we will end up buying our target Phillips mind you.

37 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I am about as ITK as the local bobby on the pissup, but that sounds to me like a club that's accepted a player will leave this window. 

But the door is only half open apparently?

Shouldn't the door be closed if he ain't going anywhere? 🤔🤣

• Haha 2