Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He’s an idiot. 2 seasons in a row he’s tried to be a hero and win a cup which has led to ridiculous number of games in a short space of time costing them the playoffs.

Then he moans about injuries and number of games. Now he has another 4 years to continue making the same mistakes! 

I get you may not like Johnson, and without wishing to completely derail the thread...

In our League cup run we played a pretty much fully rotated squad in the first 3 games, and our injury issues (9 out for 3+months at the same time) started in November, long before the semi final.

We then played a full youth team except Flint and the goalkeeper away at Watford in the FA Cup.

Last season we were out the League cup first round and only won 2 FA Cup games, both with rotated sides, as was the game we lost (full Portuguese international for Wolves in a midfield contest against someone with something like 3 appearences for us ever).

He absolutely tried to win the League Cup in 2017-18, but once you're at that stage you'd be mad not to. But any other claims are overstatements.

Anyway, back on topic, I give it a 34.2% chance if you guys signing someone today.

50 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

The only player we've been linked with from the Championship so far that has filled me with is Butland

What not even Lolley, Maupay or Phillips gets you excited, that's just uncalled for 🤔

Jarrod Bowen.

Just wanted to bump his name in this thread in the hope one of the lurking journos uses it for their next "transfer gossip" piece and I can indulge in the idea we might sign him. Can just be a "Villa considering a bid" or something like that, we don't have to pretend it's anything too concrete.

Ta.

• Like 1

However, I think the one thing we can take from the transfer window thus far is this schematic representation of the stages of our transfer business doneness.

I give you The Transfer Toast Doneness Scale

1 is obviously a name in the ether - us "eying", if you like, where 9 is obviously ITSOTP and interview.

So could all ITK now refer to what number toast we are at so we can manage our expectations?

Thanks in advance

5c781472a1f0e_TOAST.jpg

Edited by privateer

1 minute ago, privateer said:

However, I think the one thing we can take from the transfer window thus far is this schematic representation of the stages of our transfer business doneness.

I give you The Transfer Toast Doneness Scale

1 is obviously a name in the ether - us "eying", if you like, where 9 is obviously ITSOTP and interview.

5c781472a1f0e_TOAST.jpg

To me, toast being at a 9, is the equivalent of us paying £80m for a Championship player with 24 games under his belt. That toast is WAY overdone. 5 or 6 looks perfect. The bottom line of toast would all end up in my bin.

• Like 1

Just now, bannedfromHandV said:

I once got fired from a job for being drunk.

I was so drunk I turned up the next night none-the-wiser only to be sacked for a second time.

Not my finest moment.

This better be true.  Amazing.

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

This better be true.  Amazing.

100% true.

You know what makes it even worse - my boss was a fricking bloser.

It was on a bar in Spain.....just for the record, so I was working with alcohol..........be a bit worse if I was a paramedic or something ha!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

To me, toast being at a 9, is the equivalent of us paying £80m for a Championship player with 24 games under his belt. That toast is WAY overdone. 5 or 6 looks perfect. The bottom line of toast would all end up in my bin.

Good point. 6 is the new 9, anything on the bottom row is us being rinsed. Us being done done.

14 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I was so drunk I turned up the next night none-the-wiser only to be sacked for a second time.

Not my finest moment.

This could well be the best post in this entire thread. Bravo

25 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

What not even Lolley, Maupay or Phillips gets you excited, that's just uncalled for 🤔

They are top Championship players for sure. Add Bowen and Benrahma to the list too. I'd absolutely take them if we were still in the Champ. Are they gonna struggle in the Prem? I don't know, but many players who've shone in the Champ have struggled in the Prem, Lolley included when at Huddersfield. Unless they're 18,19,20 and far too good for the league (think Alli, Sessegnon, Sigurdsson), you never know if they can step up and more often than not they don't. Even Sessegnon struggled at a poor Fulham team but I've no doubt he'll play at a top level in future. 

Have a feeling Benrahma could be a good move but once again Brentford want silly money for him.

Both signings from foreign leagues and the Champ are risks, but we seem to be being asked to pay silly prices for Champ players. That's why we must cast the net wider. El Ghazi was an exceptional find and that's the sort of talent we should be looking to find in Europe for the positions we need to fill.

11 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Not my finest moment.

I heard a story once about a guy who asked his boss one Monday if he could have the next day off. His boss said no as he’d already had a lot of time off.

He pleaded that he really needed Tuesday off, but his boss was adamant. He told him that if he didn’t show up on Tuesday, don’t bother coming in on Wednesday. The guy showed up on Thursday and his boss asked him what he was doing there as he considered him to be sacked. The bloke just said, I thought you didn’t need me on Wednesday if I couldn’t make Tuesday!

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Just seen that Cardiff are signing Joe Day from Newport (goalkeeper)........may be an indication that Etheridge could be about to move........

If he were called Wednes Day instead i'd say it was a dead cert.

• Haha 2