Frédéric Guilbert

Villaphan04

56 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

seems a great professional but it tells a story when DS would rather have Elmo as RB cover 

Yeah it tells the story that someone wanted Guilbert and no-one wanted Elmo ;)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

Gerrard would like him. He's a 100% whistle to whistle player, with a decent bit of pace and wants to attack and cross the ball. Whether he's ultimately got the ability to do what the manager wants reliably, or whether he's prepared to be a backup, second XI guy, is to be discovered.

I like him, I'd keep him here if he wants to stay. Cash is the kind of player that's going to miss a few games through suspensions or the odd niggle, and we need a squad that isn't **** over if a first choice player is missing. Guilbert can be useful.

Pretty much my thoughts. Guilbert has his limitations but not a bad player to have around at all.

• Like 1

His stats from Strasbourg and his energy levels and commitment would suggest he's perfect for Gerrard's system.   The problem I have with him is that I still can't forget how disappointed I was with his woeful crossing and unwillingness to take on the defender in the final third.  He was great the length of the pitch up until we needed him to beat a man and/or deliver a good ball to the attackers.

39 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Gerrard would like him. He's a 100% whistle to whistle player, with a decent bit of pace and wants to attack and cross the ball. Whether he's ultimately got the ability to do what the manager wants reliably, or whether he's prepared to be a backup, second XI guy, is to be discovered.

I like him, I'd keep him here if he wants to stay. Cash is the kind of player that's going to miss a few games through suspensions or the odd niggle, and we need a squad that isn't **** over if a first choice player is missing. Guilbert can be useful.

Totally agree. I agreed with most of what Deano did here but was never really sure why Fred got so frozen out. Hopefully with a few more French speakers around too he is happy to settle and play a part in the squad. 

• Like 3

He's the kind of player we will need if we get into Europe, a decent back up who can still play all the cup games, early European ones and provide cover in the league when needed. I can't blame him if he wants to go and play first team football elsewhere right now because he wont get many chances here.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CarryOnVilla said:

I've always thought he had the attitude and tenacity to make a good impression on SG.

If he ends up staying, his biggest obstacle is Cash, but imagine if he were to finally feel at " home " at the club he signed for a couple years ago?!

He's sort of a French Matty Cash IMO.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3

Preece probably didn't have a clue whether he's been impressing in pre-season or not, probably seemed a safe statement to make as it would have seemed obvious that Guilbert would have been given game time.

He also said that Chrisene had been impressing in pre-season, at the time the squad had only been back one or two days.

23 hours ago, Chindie said:

Cash has one recorded career injury that caused him to miss games and that was a broken foot! That obviously won't last forever, but the evidence so far suggests he is very much not the type of player to frequently miss games because of niggling injuries. 

Â