Frédéric Guilbert

Villaphan04

4 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Doubt he will have any trouble finding another club.

1 year left on his contract, we need to be cashing in, not loaning him out for his final year and getting no return.

If we cant find a buyer i would just keep him around the first team squad as backup etc, apart from salary saving, serves us absolutely zero value sending him out on loan until his contract expires.

• Like 3

I think the only question remaining around Monsieur Guilbert is "how much?".

He's a decent player who wasn't happy here - he's been excellent in France for two seasons and hopefully there will be a bit of interest.

Is £7m ambitious?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

1 year left on his contract, we need to be cashing in, not loaning him out for his final year and getting no return.

If we cant find a buyer i would just keep him around the first team squad as backup etc, apart from salary saving, serves us absolutely zero value sending him out on loan until his contract expires.

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think the only question remaining around Monsieur Guilbert is "how much?".

He's a decent player who wasn't happy here - he's been excellent in France for two seasons and hopefully there will be a bit of interest.

Is £7m ambitious?

Looking at his stats I'd say 7m is fair. Doubt we will keep him as I think KKH might be back up next year. I like Fred, hope he finds the right spot and does well.

4 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Because he wasn't playing you mean?

I mean England I think - by the sound of his comments he wasn't happy here in the Midlands, I don't know if that's a football thing, a cultural thing or a family thing, but I don't think he'd want to come back here and I'm not sure he'd consider another Premier league team - some players just don't fit into some cultures.

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I mean England I think - by the sound of his comments he wasn't happy here in the Midlands, I don't know if that's a football thing, a cultural thing or a family thing, but I don't think he'd want to come back here and I'm not sure he'd consider another Premier league team - some players just don't fit into some cultures.

Which comments? I'm pretty sure there were always rumours that he wasn't happy, but I'm also pretty sure he always denied them (via Instagram stories usually) and said he was.

Edited by Tom13
  • Like 1

I said it before our best bet in retaining our value in him is swapping him for someone else in Ligue 1. I just don't believe the midtable clubs in France are gonna be able to pay 5-10 Mill on him which is clearly his value. 

We need to identity a young player we like and offer them Freddie in return and maybe a future 20% fee on there youth player. 

1 hour ago, Phil Silvers said:

Looking at his stats I'd say 7m is fair. Doubt we will keep him as I think KKH might be back up next year. I like Fred, hope he finds the right spot and does well.

tbh i would be happy to just get back what we paid (4m ish?), then again anything would be better than him leaving on a free next summer.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

If we can't find a buyer for 5m+ (or swap deal for a team with a youth prospect),  we'd be much better off keeping him for a season. 

He'd put pressure on Cash knowing his place in the starting 11 isn't guaranteed, and be able to rotate in for the early cup rounds without (I believe) weakening the team.

It's an easy choice.  If we loan him out again I'll be disappointed, but I'll get over it. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

We should have a look at him in preseason at least.

Unless he's gone straight to Gerrard and said "Je voudrais allez a la France, Rodney", it would be remiss of Gerrard not to at least take a look at him. Particularly in this motorised wing back system we have been playing.

Would like him to stay and finish his contract. At his best he can be decent competition for Mr Cash and him staying gives Kesler another season getting games and experience on loan, hopefully in the Champ. 

• Like 3

Â