Frédéric Guilbert

Villaphan04

I like Fred on the pitch. He's a solid player and would be excellent back-up, although KKH is the future and it's right that he's behind Cash if he's not going out on loan.

I just get a feeling though that despite his outward commitment and determination, Fred is a mardy little shit who doesn't get on well with many people. Based on nothing but a hunch but surely he can't have been bombed out in so many different situations for absolutely nothing, despite his clearly strong performances in France and reasonable level of ability.

Probably go out on loan yet again and we'll sell him for nominal fee in Jan.

In fairness we signed him for a couple of million so won't be a big loss compared to a few others we signed in 2019.

He at least in his Villa career has had a run of starts, Sanson hasn't so that's the more unjust Villa career so far.

13 hours ago, MellbergsBeard said:

Training with the kids by the looks of things, really ruined his career by coming here, feel bad for him.

Not really though. He's not a PL player it's that simple. He's full blooded and wears his heart on his sleeve but he's technically really bad and things on the pitch that unfold are just too quick for him.

Strengths: slide tackles. Says it all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don’t know why so many are making Guilbert out to be the victim here or hard done by,  Smith nor Gerrard rate/ratted him ,  something is of behind the scenes with this guy. That and the fact he isn’t good enough.

Edited by gwi1890

14 hours ago, MellbergsBeard said:

Training with the kids by the looks of things, really ruined his career by coming here, feel bad for him.

Are you serious? He spent 2 seasons playing in the league he will most likely end up but paid a much higher wage than his teammates! 

He got a great deal. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Are you serious? He spent 2 seasons playing in the league he will most likely end up but paid a much higher wage than his teammates! 

He got a great deal. 

Yes, because all that matters is money.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He got a great deal. 

Premier league wages for playing in Ligue 1.

Not ideal for having a great relationship with your colleagues, but he's always seemed happy to be here and happy playing in France so guess he sees the upside too.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The alternative would have been playing in that league but on a Ligue 1 salary. 

Yep, I’m sure he would have preferred that.

Yes, but he wouldn't have had to (presumably) uproot his family, move to a new country etc and then have one season of playing a little bit before getting dropped and loaned out, back to France... where he could have just stayed if he knew that his "big move" wasn't quite what he thought it would be.

Some people view footballers in a really weird way.  Having a new baby?  Shouldn't affect you, you earn loads.  Get abuse on social media?  Shouldn't affect you, you earn loads.  Moving to a new country and career stalling?  Shouldn't affect you, you earn loads.  They're still people :D 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Risso said:

I thought he was decent our first season back, one of our better players. I thought he'd be a decent back up to Cash, but to be fair KKH looks a hell of a talent. Not sure Guilbert deserves the bomb squad treatement though.

Basically this.  I thought he looked decent - something has happened, for whatever reason.  But yes, KKH is the future.

41 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Yes, but he wouldn't have had to (presumably) uproot his family, move to a new country etc and then have one season of playing a little bit before getting dropped and loaned out, back to France... where he could have just stayed if he knew that his "big move" wasn't quite what he thought it would be.

Some people view footballers in a really weird way.  Having a new baby?  Shouldn't affect you, you earn loads.  Get abuse on social media?  Shouldn't affect you, you earn loads.  Moving to a new country and career stalling?  Shouldn't affect you, you earn loads.  They're still people :D 

I get all that but career ruined and feel sorry for him? Really?

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

And moving jobs / countries isn't the end of the world, lots of people do it and lots of times it doesn't work. Freddie is in the fortunate that moving house for him is less of an inconvenience than it would be for non footballing people as they have a huge financial benefit that will stay with them for the rest of their lives. I am quite sure Freddie and his family will cope with the stress of it all

Â