Frédéric Guilbert

Villaphan04

3 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

I think an injury to Cash forces a change in tactics

3 - 5 - 2 with Digne pushed up to LWB/ Left Wing?

Bailey/ EMI on the right.

Ming's, Carlos, Konsa/Chambers as a back 3 perhaps?

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

3 - 5 - 2 with Digne pushed up to LWB/ Left Wing?

Bailey/ EMI on the right.

Ming's, Carlos, Konsa/Chambers as a back 3 perhaps?

Possibly a 4-2-3-1 with less attacking full backs and wide players instead.

• Like 1

He played fine today! As people said, the second half was more stop start than the first, but he didn't look out of place at all. Utter nonsense to suggest he isn't suitable as back up to Cash. He'd be first choice in several Premier League clubs. Is he a starter? Not when Cash is playing well, but can he do a job on rotation? Absolutely!

Whether he stays or goes will be a choice for him and/or the club, but suggesting he isn't good enough to play Premier League football at any level shows a total lack of sense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ingram85 said:

Why is Guilbert not wanting to be back up and going out on loan instead of sticking around and fighting for a place ok as he is a “character” but Targett doing the same means he is a snake pos? 

Guilbert actually wants to hang around and fight but the management never fancy him,  and he simply isn’t good enough anyway.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Why is Guilbert not wanting to be back up and going out on loan instead of sticking around and fighting for a place ok as he is a “character” but Targett doing the same means he is a snake pos? 

He had a good 18 months of being backup to AEM and Cash. Targett gave it about two days after we signed Digne to want out.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, useless said:

The simple truth is is that Targett is a much better player than Guilbert, so he found it easier to get a move, as more teams would be willing to buy him.

I don’t believe he is Guilbert is better defending.

• Like 1

I’d put Fred and Target at about the same level, Fred is better going forward for me as Target’s forward play was always enhanced by Grealish. 

Whenever I’ve seen Fred play for us he always seems pissed off with not getting the ball when attacking, as if his team mates aren’t seeing his runs as he gets into some good positions. Cash came on leaps and bounds last year, Fred might do the same under Gerrard perhaps?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, useless said:

The simple truth is is that Targett is a much better player than Guilbert, so he found it easier to get a move, as more teams would be willing to buy him.

Targett is left footed though, which account for about 10% of the population, so good left backs are much less likely to exist. All round I'd say there is little between them

Just now, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Burchy at the back post! Where you heard this?

Some random on Twitter. Makes sense though, Fred for a year and then bring in KKH next season to challenge Cash. 

On 18/07/2022 at 20:54, WooJung said:

Targett is left footed though, which account for about 10% of the population, so good left backs are much less likely to exist. All round I'd say there is little between them

You would think that, but good left backs are clearly not 9 times less common than good right backs as one would expect at the top level. I think left-footed people are also a lot more likely to pursue a football career compared to right-footed ones due to the natural advantage they have. Such that at the highest level, the difference in the number of top level left-footed and right-footed players ends being much less considerable.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

20 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Not even on the bench today--potential injury or impending move away.

nor is ashley young - there's only so many spaces on the bench

Â