Frédéric Guilbert

Villaphan04

1 minute ago, avfc1982am said:

Better than Cash

Both are quite similar IMO. Not great in tight spaces on the ball. You're probably right though, he does put a better ball in than Cash.

Edited by Tom13

I think a lot of people are forgetting how frustrated we got with Guilbert's crossing when he was playing regularly in his first season.   We all had high hopes for him after preseason because he seemed to have skill and was great at bombing forward, but he ultimately had the same problem we see with Cash:   He'd get forward in good positions and then hit the first defender with the cross or hit it out of play.   He's obviously doing much better in Ligue 1.  Perhaps his crossing has improved tremendously, or maybe overlapping fullbacks are just given a lot more time to cross without being pressured.    We may never know.   It's worth having a look in preseason to see if it's the former.   I doubt he'll be here after the summer window, though.   If Gerrard decides he needs an upgrade on Cash he'll aim higher than Guilbert.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

I think a lot of people are forgetting how frustrated we got with Guilbert's crossing when he was playing regularly in his first season.   We all had high hopes for him after preseason because he seemed to have skill and was great at bombing forward, but he ultimately had the same problem we see with Cash:   He'd get forward in good positions and then hit the first defender with the cross or hit it out of play.   He's obviously doing much better in Ligue 1.  Perhaps his crossing has improved tremendously, or maybe overlapping fullbacks are just given a lot more time to cross without being pressured.    We may never know.   It's worth having a look in preseason to see if it's the former.   I doubt he'll be here after the summer window, though.   If Gerrard decides he needs an upgrade on Cash he'll aim higher than Guilbert.

He also played in a shit relegation threatened team. Forwards he was aiming for was Wesley, Samatta and Davis

His Ligue Un stats are impressive and we are a better team than 2 years ago. He deserves a chance and Kesler can have another season on loan

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He also played in a shit relegation threatened team. Forwards he was aiming for was Wesley, Samatta and Davis

His Ligue Un stats are impressive and we are a better team than 2 years ago. He deserves a chance and Kesler can have another season on loan

Unless the forwards were standing right next to the first defender or in back of the goal, the forwards he was aiming at shouldn't have any impact on whether his crosses got anywhere near the box.

6 hours ago, il_serpente said:

Unless the forwards were standing right next to the first defender or in back of the goal, the forwards he was aiming at shouldn't have any impact on whether his crosses got anywhere near the box.

Then neither should the league he’s playing in and he’s managing it in Ligue 1…

I definitely think he’s worth looking at. 

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I think it's the exact opposite of that. Playing regularly and impressing.

In the French league I accept but he did little to consistently impress here and yet based on performances in a lesser league in a country he is totally comfortable in  is being touted as a replacement for Cash who is playing against far better players than he is week in week out. I’m not saying we don’t need to improve on Cash in the future but I don’t think Guilbert is the answer.

Edited by smg

56 minutes ago, smg said:

In the French league I accept but he did little to consistently impress here and yet based on performances in a lesser league in a country he is totally comfortable in  is being touted as a replacement for Cash who is playing against far better players than he is week in week out. I’m not saying we don’t need to improve on Cash in the future but I don’t think Guilbert is the answer.

Sorry to pick on this (nothing personal and just picking up a point I was making on the Summer Transfer thread) but this is a classic case in point.  People want us to sign players who will be a (considerable) upgrade on what we have.  Yet when we are quoted prices that would shatter our transfer record the normal response is "oh that is way too much", "how can we afford that?" and "we should be signing player x from league y who is only worth a quarter of that but is a much better player".  And yet then when we talk about players like Guilbert who are in that cheaper option and doing well in an inferior league the response is almost always "yeah but that league is ****, they won't be able to adjust to the extra quality / pace / intensity of the PL".  For what it is worth I agree with you and I don't think that Guilbert is the answer.  But we really are a tough crowd to please.  I mean according to some, even players starting for one of the best teams in the world are "not good enough" because apparently the Italian league is sooooooo much slower than the PL.

Apologies again @smg for using your post as a slightly random segue into my general point.

Edited by allani
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, allani said:

Sorry to pick on this (nothing personal and just picking up a point I was making on the Summer Transfer thread) but this is a classic case in point.  People want us to sign players who will be a (considerable) upgrade on what we have.  Yet when we are quoted prices that would shatter our transfer record the normal response is "oh that is way too much", "how can we afford that?" and "we should be signing player x from league y who is only worth a quarter of that but is a much better player".  And yet then when we talk about players like Guilbert who are in that cheaper option and doing well in an inferior league the response is almost always "yeah but that league is ****, they won't be able to adjust to the extra quality / pace / intensity of the PL".  For what it is worth I agree with you and I don't think that Guilbert is the answer.  But we really are a tough crowd to please.  I mean according to sum even players starting for one of the best teams in the world are "not good enough" because apparently the Italian league is sooooooo much slower than the PL.

Apologies again @smg for using your post as a slightly random segue into my general point.

It's almost as if most fans don't actually have a clue, and are basing their knowledge on Fifa or Football Manager.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smg said:

He played 1 season when we barely avoided relegation. I seem to remember the narrative was we needed a new LB and not a new RB. Guilbert had done well enough relative to the rest of the team. Whatever went on between him and Deano was main reason he left on Loan for what will be 18 months come this summer.

14 hours ago, il_serpente said:

He definitely hasn't got skill. He could be quite awkward on the ball, that's what limited him so much IMO.

Â