Frédéric Guilbert

Villaphan04

Some suggested he wasn't happy here recently... but all the posts he's ever made on his insta/twitter have suggested he was very happy and settled. He's rubbished claims in papers that said he wasn't,  saying thjngs along the lines of "papers love to make up stories that aren't there".

He would definitely have stayed and played his part, but he hasn't been wanted. Presumably on grounds of ability, although for me he seems perfectly capable.

• Like 3

I have always thought he was decent, certainly an able understudy to Cash. Been doing well in back in France, so pleased to see him back. 

Will be very surprised if he has not got a permanent move by the time the window closes, probably back to France. I see similarities to the Targett situation in that while he impressed on loan, the guy who plays in his position is just better. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

He's not very good.

He's got a bit of a moneyball player about him hasn't he, a standout stat that makes him interesting, I'm guessing this from a hazy memory but the season before we bought him he was top 5 in Europe for interceptions among RBs

was worth a punt but he hasn't worked out, there's something there that makes him an ok player but as a complete RB he's not the answer

Wouldn't be surprised if he wants to move on again, same as Digne at LB, it's not a competition cash will start when fit, actually worse than LB because KKH is next in line, if Guilbert stays here this season he's a 2nd choice gap filler, that's not a role anyone will want 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

He's not very good.

What an overreaction!

We’ve had far worse right backs at the club and as back up/understudy to Cash he’s more than good enough to fill in.

• Like 4

Just now, theboyangel said:

What an overreaction!

We’ve had far worse right backs at the club and as back up/understudy to Cash he’s more than good enough to fill in.

Genuinely think he's really quite poor. Maybe to be more charitable he's perhaps not very well suited to the game in this country, because his stats in France seem a lot better than his performances for us when he was in the team.

Anyway, it's not up to fans. Smith clearly didn't rate him - he preferred to keep Elmo after all - but Gerrard hasn't had a chance to take a look at him yet and he should. I'm sure Guilbert will probably get some friendly time, at least in the earlier ones.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

He's not very good.

6 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

What an overreaction!

You reckon the first post is the overreaction?! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

53 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

What an overreaction!

Sorry mate I've calmed down a bit.

He doesn't want to fill in and Cash is a billion times better than him

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Genuinely think he's really quite poor. Maybe to be more charitable he's perhaps not very well suited to the game in this country, because his stats in France seem a lot better than his performances for us when he was in the team.

Anyway, it's not up to fans. Smith clearly didn't rate him - he preferred to keep Elmo after all - but Gerrard hasn't had a chance to take a look at him yet and he should. I'm sure Guilbert will probably get some friendly time, at least in the earlier ones.

I think something happened between him and Smith, I am sure was a post from Guilbert that he felt he was lied to and then I dont think we ever really saw him again

I think Gerrard might be curious though because he can play both full back sides and the odd game at centre back last season

• Like 1

The lads a fighter, when he signed and we loaned him back he came to the play off finals with his Mrs cheering on our team. Didn't need to as had just been relegated with caen.

In France he is up there stats and respect wise, he is a bit of a mix between an old school full back a bit Stuart Pearce like with added pace and tries to support the attack.

When we needed to battle he very rarely let the side down and at one stage was the only player willing to challenge in the air in our first season back.

If we can get 5 to 8 Mill for him if he's not going to be used then we take the money. 

Hasn't let the side down and never slated the club.

• Like 3

Honestly he seems to be exactly the type of fullback that would excel in Gerrard's system. Maybe they can play him further forward or something, I would rather have him on then some of our attackers tbh. Really wanted him to succeed here, its a long shot but who knows. Just when you look on paper then Guilbert definitely has the athleticism and attacking, liverpool style ethos that Gerrard wants in his fullbacks

On 06/07/2022 at 20:18, rodders0223 said:

He's not very good.

Living proof stats shouldn’t be the only thing considered.

would be completely amazed and disappointed if he wears a Villa again in the PL.

Good luck Frederic.

1 hour ago, CarryOnVilla said:

If we signed him from Strasbourg based upon his form there, we’d be pretty excited to have him as back up 

Yup.

What did he do to offend some people so much in his short time playing for us? In the 19/20 season, our record with him (26 points from 24 games) was significantly better than our record without him (9 points from 14 games).

(I'm including the game we lost against Leicester where he came on at 4-1 down and it finished that scoreline as a loss without him)

He really isn't anywhere close to being terrible, and form over the two seasons since suggest he'd be an excellent signing.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

Yup.

What did he do to offend some people so much in his short time playing for us? In the 19/20 season, our record with him (26 points from 24 games) was significantly better than our record without him (9 points from 14 games).

(I'm including the game we lost against Leicester where he came on at 4-1 down and it finished that scoreline as a loss without him)

He really isn't anywhere close to being terrible, and form over the two seasons since suggest he'd be an excellent signing.

He’s not really done anything to ‘offend’ anyone he was bought when we looked to be heading for another season in the championship as it turned out we got promoted and he really wasn’t up to the task. That is why he was loaned out.

seems a great professional but it tells a story when DS would rather have Elmo as RB cover 

Â