Frédéric Guilbert

Villaphan04

11 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

Yep the player who has spent the last 30 games being a top 5 rb in Europe and outperforming Anchraf Hakimi who cost 60 million is definitely not good enough to be used as a regular backup. 

Er, what.

Is this by some whoscored.com metric or something. He isn’t in the top 100 right backs in Europe. He’s dreadful.

Edited by Cizzler
  • Like 1

People keep going on about how well he's doing out on loan, but he was doing well in France before we signed him, I think there was some sort of stat suggsting he was one of the best right backs in Ligue One at the time, but that wasn't reflected in his performances for us, so no reason to think how well he's currently doing would be reflected in his performances for us if he came back.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

This is for this season. Seems to be doing well again. 

Guess the Sunday matches bumped him to number 8 from 10.

Another think I'd like to point out is that whoscored is biased towards attacking players. In a way, I think that kind of mimics reality, look at how many attacking players win individual player awards. We just care a lot about goals and assists.

So for Fred to be up there at number 8 as a defender with no goals and only 2 assists is quite impressive. Everyone higher than him has at least a combined 6 goals/assists to their name.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

Given that Matty Cash has been one of the few decent players for us recently, would we try Guilbert at LB? Could we play Cash in front of Guilbert as a right mid?

Seems to me that Guilbert wouldn't be happy with being a squad player, so hard to know what we do with him. Shame, as he obviously has plenty of ability.

• Like 2

The whoscored rating thing is weird with him, there are certain things he does well like slide tackles and has a decent engine but looking at him as a footballer he lacks any composure on the ball and is not a particularly good passer or crosser of the ball. The slide tackles must skew the ratings somehow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

No. Cash has nowhere near enough guile/skill to play as a mid/winger.

Yeah, how cash ever played as a midfielder/winger i dont know, he struggles in possession at RB to be brutally honest.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

The whoscored rating thing is weird with him, there are certain things he does well like slide tackles and has a decent engine but looking at him as a footballer he lacks any composure on the ball and is not a particularly good passer or crosser of the ball. The slide tackles must skew the ratings somehow.

He is very awkward on the ball at times. Watford at home the season we just stayed up I remember him putting us in a sticky situation or two. I love his personality and his attitude, but he's never gonna be the answer for us.

Edited by Tom13

5 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Given that Matty Cash has been one of the few decent players for us recently, would we try Guilbert at LB? Could we play Cash in front of Guilbert as a right mid?

Seems to me that Guilbert wouldn't be happy with being a squad player, so hard to know what we do with him. Shame, as he obviously has plenty of ability.

No but Cash could get injured. He is probably our only outfielder not to be injured this season 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Zatman said:

No but Cash could get injured. He is probably our only outfielder not to be injured this season 

Agreed, but as established, Guilbert isn’t up for being a bench warmer (whereas Elmo was, and played pretty well off the bench).

Very hard to manage this kind of situation.

Fred has always given 100% for Villa whenever I've seen him and he was part of a very poor side that struggled when we came up yet he was nowhere near our worst player. A lot of people seem to think he was dreadful.

I'm going to remind you the full back we had before him for 5+ years was Alan Hutton, who also gave 100% but couldn't pass, cross or doing anything with the ball that was considered attacking yet he's considered as some sort of hero. The mind boggles.

FWIW, if the new manager did go to 3 at the back he could fit into a system similar to how Azpi does for Chelsea. I think he still offers us some value if he was part of the squad but can understand the want to play first team football.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Agreed, but as established, Guilbert isn’t up for being a bench warmer (whereas Elmo was, and played pretty well off the bench).

Very hard to manage this kind of situation.

People keep saying that but I don't remember Guilbert giving any indication of that. The problem is that he wasn't even being picked to warm the bench. What decent player wouldn't want out at that point?

There's been a lot of claims about Guilbert(like the one earlier about him supposedly being a miserable bastard or that he was homesick) that seem to be nothing but pure speculation to try and justify Smith's decision of getting rid of him.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

Can't we actually loan him to a club in France who can actually spend some money?

I mean if he went to Rennes and did well they'd sign him for about 4-5m.

Just another frustrating one who we don't want, he's doing o.k back in his homeland yet we can't seem to sell him until he'll go for virtually nothing.

9 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Can't we actually loan him to a club in France who can actually spend some money?

Just another frustrating one who we don't want, he's doing o.k back in his homeland yet we can't seem to sell him until he'll go for virtually nothing.

You do realise other French clubs can bid for him right?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

We need to use him in a swap I swear that's the only way we will get some value for him from a French club. 

Â