Frédéric Guilbert

Villaphan04

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

I rate him, Dean doesn't which is fair enough thats football its about opinions. 

The outrage is just people again looking for a dig at somebody, who is usually Dean Smith 

Yes, agreed.

I will say though, while I don't agree specifically about Guilbert, I do understand the feelings of those who do rate him. I remember how mad I was getting in Albrighton's last season when we couldn't score at all and he was regularly coming off the bench and providing our only creativity, and how obvious it was Lambert just didn't rate him. I think history has vindicated those of us who thought Lambert was an idiot about that, but at the end of the day it's the manager's job on the line so it's their decision that matters. And unlike Lambert in 2015, Smith in 2021 has enough credit in the bank that I think you're right to be phlegmatic about it.

If Guilbert goes on to be a late blooming world beater, Smith will rightly have to take the lumps. I just don't think he's got much to worry about on that score.

• Like 1

thing with fred, is i think we as villa fans like players that have a bit of attitude...but the good kind of attitude. not the ross barkley petulant type, but the pissed off passionate type. i think that's what endeared him to some us. when he had a shocker at southampton away, he came on social media and said "sorry for my shit performance", rather than the media trained "not our day today, on to the next game". this probably upset smith et al but the fans liked the brutal honesty and as such overlooked the fact that if we're all honest, he probably isn't good enough for where we're aiming for and the fact that there have been no solid links with any other prem team pretty much confirms that. he's been available for transfer for a while now, and the only move he could get was a loan.

we just need to accept that a LOT of people that know considerably more about football than most of us don't think he's any good, so it's probably true.

18 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yes, agreed.

I will say though, while I don't agree specifically about Guilbert, I do understand the feelings of those who do rate him. I remember how mad I was getting in Albrighton's last season when we couldn't score at all and he was regularly coming off the bench and providing our only creativity, and how obvious it was Lambert just didn't rate him. I think history has vindicated those of us who thought Lambert was an idiot about that, but at the end of the day it's the manager's job on the line so it's their decision that matters. And unlike Lambert in 2015, Smith in 2021 has enough credit in the bank that I think you're right to be phlegmatic about it.

If Guilbert goes on to be a late blooming world beater, Smith will rightly have to take the lumps. I just don't think he's got much to worry about on that score.

sure but all managers have these players even the great managers like Mourinho or Ferguson have players they dont rate and then came back to haunt them.

I dont think Smith job security depends on Freddy Guilbert 

• Like 1

Just now, Zatman said:

sure but all managers have these players even the great managers like Mourinho or Ferguson have players they dont rate and then came back to haunt them.

I dont think Smith job security depends on Freddy Guilbert 

No, definitely not, that's not what I mean! I just mean if people become annoyed for other reasons (ie losing games) then people will bring it up more. If we win matches, everyone will forget about it. Same as it ever was.

I like Guilbert, but I think his reputation tends to improve every time Cash has a spell of bad form. It’s grass is greener syndrome.

When he was starting regularly for us I remember him looking weak on set pieces, drifting out of position, and diving in too often. His other defenders seemed to get frustrated with him, which suggests maybe he wasn’t listening to calls from the CBs.

Still a pretty decent player, but can see why maybe Smith feels he isn’t good enough to start, and doesn’t have the right personality to be a squad player. Realistically, part of what we love about Fred is how much he hates warming the bench.

• Like 1

Guilbert going out on loan was inevitable. Smith has clearly made his mind up about him (as he did with Engels) and when that happens it's time for the player to move on.

Freddie knew he wasn't wanted and didn't want to be here, as you could plainly see by his reaction after scoring a very good goal against Barrow. He was clearly p*ssed off and wanted out.

The right decision was made, although a sale earlier in the window rather than a loan right at the end would have been preferable.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Young has played as many games in RB as he has LB. Konsa and Tuanzebe have played ~20% of their games at RB.

So if Cash and Targett were injured we'd have a back 4 of Young, Mings, Konsa, Tuanzebe - seems fine to me that back 4. 

Kessler can be recalled in Jan if we need to, Guilbert too potentially.

Young played 3 games RM last season and about 20 LM according to one of the stats websites. I assume that's as a wing back, so he didn't play anywhere near as many games at right back as left.

Tuanzebe played about 4 games last season as a right back according to the same site.

Relying on these as backups is going to guarantee that will be a weak spot for us. 

1 minute ago, MrBlack said:

Young played 3 games RM last season and about 20 LM according to one of the stats websites. I assume that's as a wing back, so he didn't play anywhere near as many games at right back as left.

Tuanzebe played about 4 games last season as a right back according to the same site.

Relying on these as backups is going to guarantee that will be a weak spot for us. 

Did I mention this being based on last season only? I used the career stats from transfermarkt 

Young for example played 56 times at RB and 57 times at LB for Man United. 

Ashley Young - Detailed stats | Transfermarkt

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

I don’t think relying on them as backups is much worse (if at all) than relying on Guilbert tbh.

IMO Freddie needs to be a first team player week in week out, and just isn’t the right fit to be understudy to a younger player. He publicly called out Smith very early in his spell here on Instagram when Elmo was starting our first few PL games, and probably never had much of a chance after that.

Edited by KentVillan

11 hours ago, tomav84 said:

he cost less than 3m i believe. not really a big waste of money

all signs are pointing to him pissing off the manager in some way. he looks delighted to be back at strasbourg, it seems like he was really unhappy here

I didnt realise he was that cheap tbf. Cheers! That actually does make me feel better.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

Did I mention this being based on last season only? I used the career stats from transfermarkt 

Young for example played 56 times at RB and 57 times at LB for Man United. 

Ashley Young - Detailed stats | Transfermarkt

How many years ago though.  Looking at historic appearances, in a much better team  at a much younger age isn't a viable comparison. I stand by the fact we will be much much worse off playing either of those at right back over Guilbert. I sincerely hope we never have to find out. 

9 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I like Guilbert, but I think his reputation tends to improve every time Cash has a spell of bad form. It’s grass is greener syndrome.

When he was starting regularly for us I remember him looking weak on set pieces, drifting out of position, and diving in too often. His other defenders seemed to get frustrated with him, which suggests maybe he wasn’t listening to calls from the CBs.

Still a pretty decent player, but can see why maybe Smith feels he isn’t good enough to start, and doesn’t have the right personality to be a squad player. Realistically, part of what we love about Fred is how much he hates warming the bench.

I'm not sure that's the case, for the most part people who favour Fred realise he's not good enough to be our starting 11 but is adequate cover for Cash, has a similar playing style to Cash, and if we were to sell him we probably wouldn't get enough money to buy a suitable replacement.

Unless Dean thinks we already have a replacement in Young, Konsa or Tuanzebe, which seems to be the case.

That's where I stand on it anyway.

9 hours ago, MrBlack said:

How many years ago though.  Looking at historic appearances, in a much better team  at a much younger age isn't a viable comparison. I stand by the fact we will be much much worse off playing either of those at right back over Guilbert. I sincerely hope we never have to find out. 

That's your opinion and a few people would share that we should have kept Guilbert as RB cover. Fact remains Young is a vastly experienced player and can play both full back positions, he's also right footed so playing RB is no issue for him at all. We also have Tuanzebe and Konsa who can play RB. 

Guilbert can be recalled in Jan if we need to and can be registered. We also can recall Kessler at any point as he's an u23 player and doesn't need to be registered so could play immediately. If we suffered a long term injury to Cash we'd do one of those options for sure. 

So we've 6 players who can possibly play RB, Cash, Young, Tuanzebe, Konsa, Guilbert, Kessler. It's the position we have the most cover in unlike say GK 

16 hours ago, MrBlack said:

Don’t worry, he somehow played as CM last game and done well. 😁

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Â