Frédéric Guilbert

Villaphan04

13 hours ago, MaVilla said:

The Guilbert scenario for me is a really weird one.

One of the best/better performers in the French League, especially for a full back, but we seem to keep loaning him out and either a) not bringing him back as backup, or b) selling him on for some cash.

The constant loans seem like a strange nowhere ground, as he has proven he is fairly decent, yet no-one is interested in signing him?, seems wacky to me (or maybe we have had bids and rejected, or he wants to run his contract down? - dunno).

We don't want him/rate him

No other premier league wants him

In France most clubs are skint after the collapse of the tv deal wouldn't be able to afford his wages

Hence the loans

18 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

These confuse me sometimes.

So Guibert is " Very Strong " at Key Passes, but also shit at passing 🤔.

That actually isn't uncommon. Sanson and Mcginn has that as well. It just means that he has a low passing accuracy, but has a high key pass rate.

In fact, it actually makes a bit of sense that these 2 would go together. If you're making a lot of risky passes(or most likely crosses) in Guilbert's case to try and create chances, a higher proportion of those passes are going to be misplaced(or blocked or intercepted) than usual. However, if you're taking more risks, you're also going to get more reward. Hence, a higher proportion of key passes compared to the usual will be made.

Its quite rare I think for a player to have high stats in both passing accuracy and key passes. Even the likes of De Bruyne and Grealish last season had lower than average passing accuracies for their position I believe.

Cash having a weak passing attribute yet not being strong in key passes is quite concerning however. I highlighted a couple of weeks back how Cash was often the Villa outfield player with the most misplaced passes in a match. However, it seems like its not translating to more chances so it can't just be chalked off as just Cash taking more risks for more reward. This is also supported by the few amount of assists he has made in these 2 seasons so far.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Could it be a similar scenario to Rafa/Digne though?

Fell out with Deano and had no way back?

Could be.

But Digne :-

has a whole string of French international caps 

Has a few seasons prem experience. 

Had plenty of suitors willing to pay £20m+ for his services. 

Guilbert has one very mixed season in the PL - where a replacement was sought as soon as the season ended.

No one appears to want to pay a fee for him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Laughable Chimp said:

That actually isn't uncommon. Sanson and Mcginn has that as well. It just means that he has a low passing accuracy, but has a high key pass rate.

In fact, it actually makes a bit of sense that these 2 would go together. If you're making a lot of risky passes(or most likely crosses) in Guilbert's case to try and create chances, a higher proportion of those passes are going to be misplaced(or blocked or intercepted) than usual. However, if you're taking more risks, you're also going to get more reward. Hence, a higher proportion of key passes compared to the usual will be made.

Its quite rare I think for a player to have high stats in both passing accuracy and key passes. Even the likes of De Bruyne and Grealish last season had lower than average passing accuracies for their position I believe.

Cash having a weak passing attribute yet not being strong in key passes is quite concerning however. I highlighted a couple of weeks back how Cash was often the Villa outfield player with the most misplaced passes in a match. However, it seems like its not translating to more chances so it can't just be chalked off as just Cash taking more risks for more reward. This is also supported by the few amount of assists he has made in these 2 seasons so far.

Makes sens when you break it down to be fair.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, avfc1982am said:

I'd love us to bring him back in the summer. He is having a fantastic season and has improved a lot imo. I think Gerrard would like him too.  

I was thinking that earlier - he seems to fit Gerrard's system. 

Im sure he will be here in pre-season

1 minute ago, Xela said:

I was thinking that earlier - he seems to fit Gerrard's system. 

Im sure he will be here in pre-season

I think it's suits him far more than sitting deep to be fair. Great going forward, and his crossing is decent too. The thing that I really liked about him, apart from his all in trait, is his ability to look for the return out wide. He wants to run the line, get the cross in. I really like the lad.  

5 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

I think it's suits him far more than sitting deep to be fair. Great going forward, and his crossing is decent too. The thing that I really liked about him, apart from his all in trait, is his ability to look for the return out wide. He wants to run the line, get the cross in. I really like the lad.  

Statistically, he's better at going forward than Cash, but he isn't an attacking fullback.  He's very much a defensive fullback in France.  

20 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Guilbert is great going forward?

Â