Frédéric Guilbert

Villaphan04

10 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

I don’t know about that. Based on fbref stats he’s significantly better offensively compared to Cash. It’s much bigger upgrade than Digne over Targett.

That's not how I interpret those stats. Cash would probably be one of the best full backs in France, there's a massive difference in quality. 

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

when's his contract up? thought it was end of the season?

if not, SG will give him a fair crack i'd imagine

2023, so 18 months left.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

The Guilbert scenario for me is a really weird one.

One of the best/better performers in the French League, especially for a full back, but we seem to keep loaning him out and either a) not bringing him back as backup, or b) selling him on for some cash.

The constant loans seem like a strange nowhere ground, as he has proven he is fairly decent, yet no-one is interested in signing him?, seems wacky to me (or maybe we have had bids and rejected, or he wants to run his contract down? - dunno).

It's not that weird when you think about it.   Most likely:

• Dean told him that Cash was going to be first choice, end of discussion.  We'd just spent $12M on him.
  • Either Freddie decided he didn't want to be backup if he wasn't going to have a chance to fight for the spot and asked to go on loan or be sold, or the club decided we don't need 3 right backs.  Or both.
  • We had Elmo, who was fine with being backup and had no potential sell-on value because of his age and the fact his contract was coming to an end, so it made more sense to let Freddie go.
  • Freddie wasn't sold because at the time he would need to have a chance to impress prospective buyers in order for us not to lose money on him.   Remember, he was out most of the 2nd half of the previous season.

It may have made sense to keep him this year as backup or competition for Cash until KKH is ready, but it does appear Deano didn't rate him or they had a falling out.   As someone else pointed out, even if Gerrard doesn't rate him, he would probably easily make the club a profit if we sell him now or in the summer.  I suspect one reason Stevie G wanted to bring KKH back and have a look is so he can decide whether we can unload Freddie permanently now while his value is at a peak or need to keep him on the books as potential backup until summer.

I don't think he'll stay past the summer.  For all his energy and eagerness to get forward, he was atrocious in the final third for us.  Gerrard will want someone better offensively, even as a backup.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, villan-scott said:

8-D54-B483-0-C88-426-D-88-B1-7-B0-C66-FF

Seems as though he will be back soon, likely end of the season or sooner if we loan out KKH again? 

I do wonder if something happened between him and Smith and now he's been offered a fresh start by Gerrard? 

Obviously he's on loan so can't return right now. 

Gerrard wants to give everyone a chance. That will include Guilbert. I think the issue was he wasn't fancied by Dean Smith for whatever reason and wanted to be playing regular football. Cash was alwas going to start at right back under Smith so there wasn't really competition for places. 

I think under Gerrard he needs a squad of players all competing for starting time and good performances in training get rewarded with places in the team. I think for Gerrard and Lange they need to look at that right back position and decide if KKH is ready for competing with Cash for that spot next season or if he needs a loan to say the Championship. Then with Guilbert into his final year what is best for the club, selling him or retaining him for his final year. 

I think on the balance of things, Guilbert will be sold in summer along with Trez, AEG and probably Traore

16 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

He’s no worse than Cash in terms of crossing, I think Cash is a bit more solid defensively though and can recover more quickly / better when caught out of position.

Seeing as we've got the cover from the CMs when the wing-backs bomb forward, this might suit Guilbert a lot more. 

1 minute ago, lexicon said:

Seeing as we've got the cover from the CMs when the wing-backs bomb forward, this might suit Guilbert a lot more. 

Maybe, I think he’s an able backup for Cash but I don’t see him displacing him as a regular starter, unless his game has improved over the past two years out on loan.

I like Guilbert, but I also like Cash and I think Cash is the better player though there’s not a major gulf between the two.

4 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Maybe, I think he’s an able backup for Cash but I don’t see him displacing him as a regular starter, unless his game has improved over the past two years out on loan.

I like Guilbert, but I also like Cash and I think Cash is the better player though there’s not a major gulf between the two.

I think Cash is under pressure to improve his attacking output - it seems to be a key feature in a Gerrard team and he's not showing enough just yet. 

2 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I think Cash is under pressure to improve his attacking output - it seems to be a key feature in a Gerrard team and he's not showing enough just yet. 

I think his general play and willingness to get forward and support attacks is fine, he’s also pretty good at carrying the ball inside on occasions, his end product is letting him down but that’s a team issue right now as much as its a problem for him specifically.

Contrast that with Targett on the left though and you can see why we’ve addressed that so emphatically with signing Digne.

15 minutes ago, LondonVillian said:

According to FM his contract is up the end of this season usually its quite accurate but could be wrong.

Strange one for me that he was loaned out - decent backup for Cash imo.

Would explain why KKH has been recalled over FG. Everywhere else I've seen his contract expires summer 23. It's odd that he hasn't been recalled unless we have someone watching him over there (then why not recall him, doing well) or the deal is a no recall option deal if such things exist.

Cash is fine for the time being but he'd be next on my upgrade list after this window. Unless he finds another level.

5 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I think his general play and willingness to get forward and support attacks is fine, he’s also pretty good at carrying the ball inside on occasions, his end product is letting him down but that’s a team issue right now as much as its a problem for him specifically.

Contrast that with Targett on the left though and you can see why we’ve addressed that so emphatically with signing Digne.

Tbh, I think that it's a lot to do with style and the new role requirements of the full backs. Both of them can defend now and had improved that area of their games a lot prior to Gerrard coming in, but Cash had always been more comfortable on the ball. The issue for me is that there is a requirement to score goals and put in a good cross now, and while I definitely agree with you that Cash is ahead of Targett in that respect and is a better technical player/more comfy on the ball, the production is what Gerrard really cares about and that's why I'm not sure how long Cash will be first choice. Gerrard, to me, is ruthlessly pragmatic and will not have that loyalty to players if he doesn't think they can deliver what he wants to get the success he craves.

• Like 1

Â