Kortney Hause

Sam3773

On 21/12/2020 at 19:57, blunther said:

Was worried about our lack of depth in this position but he's done really well. In fairness though both games have suited his strengths with his aerial ability. I'd still be wary of putting him in against a decent footballing team, but he's done us proud for now. Our squad players have really stepped up the last week or two. 

A combination of a year more at the club, a year more settled in to the UK (for the new imports last summer) and playing in a winning side has worked well for certain players.  For the last few years now we have been bringing in young/foreign players and expecting them to hit the ground running - which is tough.  Our goalkeeping position is probably the prime example of this.

I did feel sorry for Mings last year - he got a lot of criticism for being rash etc. but was having to play in only his second full season as a CB and his first real taste of the premier league largely with three new defensive partners and a DCM who also had no real experience of the PL and, to make matters worse, lost the only one with any real experience of the PL, Heaton, half way through the season.   And all this whilst he was expected to be the leader following a big money transfer.  Brighton brought in Webster for similar money, who has been allowed to bed in alongside an established PL defence including Lewis Dunk. Given all that, Mings has done exceptionally well and established himself in the England squad.

I think Hause and Konsa shared many of the same issues (not necessarily expecting to be a leader) but were younger and playing in a bit of a rudderless defence.  Much like when Clark and Baker came through and were forced to play together.  Most young CB's, especially when stepping in to the PL for the first time, need an established leader alongside them and a strong keeper behind them if they are going to succeed.

We now have the building blocks to ensure that future new recruits can come in gradually and participate alongside/benefit from the support of quality team mates.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, samjp26 said:

He will dominate Benteke today. As much as I love CB, I watched the last few palace games and in my opinion he still doesn't look at it. It is a shame because I still believe he could have been one of the best in the world, he had everything, but it just isn't there any more for whatever reason. I see Hause being instrumental to our defence being up against him, if they're smart they will try to utilise CB in order to bring their other players into the attack.

Hope Hause keeps up his form because if he stays switched on he'll win his battles today I'm sure of it.

It isn't there for Benteke because he was put for 250+ days 3 years in a row. 

What a super performance by Hause, very well done! He won everything in the air and was up against Benteke who is one of the best target players in the league. Some of his clearences were spot on, not only did he win the ball but he kept it in play instead of just wacking it away, big improvement. It's also not easy to be thrown in at this stage of the season. Is there anyone in the league who wins more headers? Very happy for him to score!

I didn't think he was even good enough for us in the championship tbh. At times he looked like he'd never seen a football before, so I was shitting myself at the prospect of him starting. 

He looks like a completely different player though. He needs to keep his place. One of a couple of players to be making me eat humble pie at the moment, and I'm delighted. 

Edited by Davkaus

Wow. There's a lot less pressure on the players as individuals as the team works so cohesively, allowing players like Hause to play to their strengths. Fantastic header of the ball and seems like a nice honest chap too. Will partner Konsa against Chelsea's formidable forward line which will be another tough test.

Just now, djdabush said:

We always talk about what a bargain McGinn was but House can't be too far behind. It's also really nice to have a defender who wins nearly every aerial challenge he makes too.

Really is a brilliant rotation option against the 'bigger sides'.

6 minutes ago, djdabush said:

We always talk about what a bargain McGinn was but House can't be too far behind. It's also really nice to have a defender who wins nearly every aerial challenge he makes too.

With the property market the way it is right now, we definitely got a bargain.

• Haha 1

Â