Lovre Kalinić

Tomaszk

2 hours ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

This might be the wrong place for this comment but when did we last have a player from Eastern Europe who was a success for us? 

Out of this list, I don’t think we can call any of them massive successes (despite my fondness for the memory of Savo): Kubicki, Milosevic, Curcic, Balaban, Kalinic.

I don’t mean this as some sort of national stereotype comment. I have always wondered why these players could never really do it at Villa when their national teams exude the sorts of qualities we’d like at the club.

1 hour ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

Haha how on earth did I forget him?! Sorry Stan!

I’m clutching at straws here but maybe his time at Celtic helped his cultural adaptation? 

*skulks off after failed post*

I'd probably agree that Celtic did help him settle.

what Villa have failed with on the past is bringing in people from the same nationality or culture. You often see clubs sign 2 players from the same nation at the same time, or they add players to the squad. I think one of the reasons we were so keen on Luiz (outside of his playing potential), is that he'd help Wes settle and vice. Then when trez came in, for his first few games he played with Elmo 

• Like 1

On 16/01/2020 at 03:06, Spoony said:

This has almost secretly gone down as our worst signing ever. At least the likes of N’Zogbia actually played games for the football club. And the likes of Beye didn’t cost £7.5m.

Nope, still not even close.

McCormack has to be #1, we really have to go some distance now to replace him in that spot.

• Like 3

On 16/01/2020 at 03:06, Spoony said:

This has almost secretly gone down as our worst signing ever. At least the likes of N’Zogbia actually played games for the football club. And the likes of Beye didn’t cost £7.5m.

30 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Nope, still not even close.

McCormack has to be #1, we really have to go some distance now to replace him in that spot.

As per @bannedfromHandV has said, certainly in recent times McCormack is easily the worst signing. Leading striker in championship we paid at least £12 million for. He was expected to fire us up the table and instead blew a gasket. Mentally he was completely wrong, for whatever reason that may have been. Given we paid out on his contract with a year to go and he still hasn't got a club really says it all. An utter waste of money sadly. 

Whilst Kalinic has struggled, it appears to have been because he got injured and other players were doing better (Steer, Heaton, even Nyland). Even in the limited time he has played he wasn't bad, just more it that it has not worked out. Whilst not a great signing, there is no chance this signing will be worse than McCormack. 

20 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I thought Balaban might top McCormack, but even adjusted for inflation, that's less than 10m. McCormack has the crown.

Considering age, length of contract and salary he simply has to take the crown.

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

On 60k a week according to one report I've just read.

We signed him on 30k deal and then his wages doubled on promotion.

People might be sceptical but suggests why there isn't a huge queue of clubs after him.

Only Villa could have their 5th choice keeper on £60k per week. Do we ever learn?

Â