Lovre Kalinić

Tomaszk

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Didn't he concede in average 2 goals per game when he played?

Fair enough Hutton and Taylor didn't make it easy for him, but he still looked complete shambles at times.

Wouldn't read too much into it.

Heaton conceded 2 goals every 45 minutes he played for England so far, or 4 in 93 minutes.

But yeah Kalinic looked shaky and I don't see him staying here, got that impression straight away after those first few games.

Harsh to judge him in the short time and the awful defence, but if I was going to judge him I would say he was nothing short of awful. He may have improved.

He will be moved on swiftly, on loan probably, but if we can get a fee, any fee, then great.

Why does everyone think he's off this window?  To me, the evidence points to Nyland's exit as more realistic than Kalinic's.  The club's leadership has said time and time again that they want two people competing for the starting spot in all roles.  IMO, Nyland isn't good enough, and Steer needs another season on loan to a Championship club to continue his development.  Kalinic & Heaton will be competing for the starting spot every week, IMO.  

1 hour ago, KMitch said:

Why does everyone think he's off this window?  To me, the evidence points to Nyland's exit as more realistic than Kalinic's.  The club's leadership has said time and time again that they want two people competing for the starting spot in all roles.  IMO, Nyland isn't good enough, and Steer needs another season on loan to a Championship club to continue his development.  Kalinic & Heaton will be competing for the starting spot every week, IMO.  

Kalinic is an international who clearly hasn't settled and was quickly found out of the manager's favour. As an international he'll want to play, and he'll be an easier sell than Nyland who has just come back from a serious injury and wasn't very good before it, so likely will be happy with being third choice for now. Steer has more than staked his claim for the No.1 so will be going nowhere.

Thus Kalinic is the easiest sale. He's clearly not settled, he's going to want to have games so likely will want to go, he's out of favour and he's still got some value and pedigree. He'll go, either for a low fee or on loan. Heaton and Steer will fight for No.1, Nyland will be third choice.

• Like 2

Again, I haven't seen anywhere other than rumors on Twitter and Villa Talk that Kalinic hasn't settled.  He picked up an injury shortly after his arrival and had to have surgery, which is why he was out of the team this past spring.  He's in the fold again and has gotten a lot of preseason minutes ahead of Nyland.  

Look at the keepers we now have.

Heaton has just arrived and will be tussling for no.1. 

Steer is evidently no.1 as things stand. He was given a chance, and took it, and was a key part of the promotion effort. He been rewarded with a new contract and is evidently in the management's good books. He's not without flaws but he's still fairly inexperienced. He's going to fight with Heaton for no.1, and most likely will be his understudy.

Kalinic played 7 times and conceded 12 goals in that time. In his last appearance he was taken off at half time and never returned from the bench for the remainder of the season before his injury. His time out also coincided with us going on our most successful run ever. He didn't play particularly well for us and unfortunately for him his replacement came in and smashed the opportunity. Kalinic is an international and will need to play to maintain his position internationally, and as things stand he's at best second choice, and more likely third given he was out of favour before injury. He does have some value still regardless of his performances here given his age and international status.

Nyland isn't very good. He didn't perform well for us and then got a bad injury. There's elements of his game that aren't too bad and he seems reasonably well liked at the club. He doesn't have a great deal of value and given his injury is probably happy as third choice at the moment.

So, in that case, Kalinic is the one that makes the most sense to go. He's not in favour, there's 2 keepers ahead of him in the pecking order now, personally he'll want to be playing, he still has value. Nyland would be harder to move on. Kalinic will go, most likely back to the continent on loan or at a slight loss. We'll go into the season with Heaton and Steer as no.1 prospects (it'll be Heaton eventually with Steer in the cups) and Nyland training very hard never too be seen again.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KMitch said:

Again, I haven't seen anywhere other than rumors on Twitter and Villa Talk that Kalinic hasn't settled.  He picked up an injury shortly after his arrival and had to have surgery, which is why he was out of the team this past spring.  He's in the fold again and has gotten a lot of preseason minutes ahead of Nyland.  

Where would you expect to see it?

It's not as though the club are going to release a statement saying how he's struggled to settle are they?!

13 hours ago, KMitch said:

He will want to remain No.1 for Croatia more than anything, he won't sitting on our bench.

• 4 weeks later...

Send him out on loan until January then if he’s done well we can either sell him to the club he’s at or he will have attracted attention elsewhere. There’s always someone desperate in January. Some desperados paid £7m for him last January........

Â