Lovre Kalinić

Tomaszk

I'd like to know how and why the opinions on him have soured so quickly with him not even playing a role since going off with a head injury right before our 10 match winning run. He seemed to be relatively competent for me coming in to a new country with a makeshift defense.... and not giving him another chance. Lad has only played 7/8 games for us 

On 21/12/2018 at 21:02, Junxs said:

5 year contract though.. not trying to be negative here but if it doesnt work out its a long time trying to shift someone

^Said this when we signed him. 

Wasn't impressed at all by his YouTube highlights, all his saves were shots straight at him. Now we are stuck with him.

12 hours ago, abdomlahor said:

i don't remember him being particularly bad in his limited game time to be honest.

certainly not as bad as nyland when he started

He actually looked better than Nyland last season, but that's no endorsement of his performances.

Just a weird keeper to me, has decent pedigree but looked all over the place. In particular he seems to struggle with shots that are near him, as if his reactions are poor and cannot get down quickly enough.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I don’t think he should be written off, he only played a handful of games for us 

It looks like the management/coaching staff don't rate him, though. It could be an attitude thing - they've made a big deal about how hard Nyland has worked to get better at the weaker parts of his game and adapt to the league but we've not heard a peep about Kalinic. I think he's a write-off. 

I must have watched a different keeper.

Yes, the defence was awful, yes, it was new league, yes he only played a handful of games...but I must say he is the stiffest and least agile goalkeeper I think I have ever seen play for us.

What do you look for in a goalkeeper - agility, reflexes, speed, reactions. He didn't show any of them to me.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Fingers crossed we can recoup some of the £7m we spent on him during this window. Otherwise I'm not sure why we recalled Sarkic and are brining in Reina.

I think that's the plan but I also think we've been trying to get rid of him for a while now. Maybe we've done our old classic of giving him a contract that's too big for the clubs that are interested in him. 

• Like 1

This might be the wrong place for this comment but when did we last have a player from Eastern Europe who was a success for us? 

Out of this list, I don’t think we can call any of them massive successes (despite my fondness for the memory of Savo): Kubicki, Milosevic, Curcic, Balaban, Kalinic.

I don’t mean this as some sort of national stereotype comment. I have always wondered why these players could never really do it at Villa when their national teams exude the sorts of qualities we’d like at the club.

Edited by KevinRichardsonsMoustache

24 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

This might be the wrong place for this comment but when did we last have a player from Eastern Europe who was a success for us? 

Out of this list, I don’t think we can call any of them massive successes (despite my fondness for the memory of Savo): Kubicki, Milosevic, Curcic, Balaban, Kalinic.

I don’t mean this as some sort of national stereotype comment. I have always wondered why these players could never really do it at Villa when their national teams exude the sorts of qualities we’d like at the club.

Then there was Petrov.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

Haha how on earth did I forget him?! Sorry Stan!

I’m clutching at straws here but maybe his time at Celtic helped his cultural adaptation? 

*skulks off after failed post*

Petrov's first few months in a Villa shirt were very forgettable, he was pants.

Â