Lovre Kalinić

Tomaszk

22 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Presume he didn’t leave?  This guy must be a real dud or his agent a real dud to not be able to find a new club across Europe.   

No club willing to pay enough of his wages for it to be worth villa letting him go is my guess. May as well have an international goalkeeper as 3rd choice

On 03/09/2019 at 19:25, YLN said:

No club willing to pay enough of his wages for it to be worth villa letting him go is my guess. May as well have an international goalkeeper as 3rd choice

Think he's 4th choice to be honest, behind Nyland. 

I’ve just come back from Croatia and was talking to someone out there about Lovre. He seems to think that, Lovre isn’t fully fit and had been struggling with an arm injury and has been since about February. Not sure where he got his info from or how accurate mind.

• Thanks 1

While his career says he must be better than what we have seen, he always looked like he was playing in oven gloves to me. So many shots just pushed straight back into the danger zone. I would imagine he doesn't cut a very happy figure around the training ground. Shame for everyone that we couldn't move him on, really.

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

I’ve just come back from Croatia and was talking to someone out there about Lovre. He seems to think that, Lovre isn’t fully fit and had been struggling with an arm injury and has been since about February. Not sure where he got his info from or how accurate mind.

he said himself he is fit and willing to wait for his chance at the villa: https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fsportske.jutarnji.hr%2Fnogomet%2Freprezentacija%2Fvatreni-prolazi-teske-trenutke-a-slicno-mu-se-vec-dogodilo-na-poljudu-i-tada-sam-bio-bacen-sa-strane-ali-sto-da-radim-da-budem-zivcan%2F9314918%2F

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slovenian said:

Good, I think he is a very capable goalkeeper and he hasn’t really had the opportunity to show it in a Villa shirt, competition for places is always good 

12 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Good, I think he is a very capable goalkeeper and he hasn’t really had the opportunity to show it in a Villa shirt, competition for places is always good 

I guess that, but it's really great to see Heaton, he's a top keeper. When you consider how many keepers we had in the last 10 years, when you try to choose one of them you fail. I think the only decent one was Johnstone. His form with the tesco bags isn't the best, but he was doing really good with us.

Steer was ok, not long enough to judge. Although he's already one of our hero's. I don't think we'll, forget Steer, El Ghazi and even Jedinak. They had there moments in the playoffs. Ofcourse McGinn, Grealish and Hourihane had the contributions in terms of goals. Mings who changed our season. Ofcourse we can't forget Axel and Tammy too. I think this story will be remembered for too long. Steer saves in particular, and El Ghazi goal. I think these two highlights will let these two as hero's (while everyone knows that they're not more than decent).

Anyway, I agree that Kalinic was unfortunate with coming in our worst form. While Steer took his chance with our greatest form. Fully deserved as he's been around for a long time.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Is he still alive?

I know you don't expect to have to use a sub keeper, but how many millions of pounds did we spend on this guy? Less than a year ago? And he's been deemed so hopeless we start Steer and have Nyland on the bench? Has he been seen goose-stepping while chanting SOTV or something? 

On 08/09/2019 at 03:08, abdulaziz1 said:

I guess that, but it's really great to see Heaton, he's a top keeper. When you consider how many keepers we had in the last 10 years, when you try to choose one of them you fail. I think the only decent one was Johnstone. His form with the tesco bags isn't the best, but he was doing really good with us.

Steer was ok, not long enough to judge. Although he's already one of our hero's. I don't think we'll, forget Steer, El Ghazi and even Jedinak. They had there moments in the playoffs. Ofcourse McGinn, Grealish and Hourihane had the contributions in terms of goals. Mings who changed our season. Ofcourse we can't forget Axel and Tammy too. I think this story will be remembered for too long. Steer saves in particular, and El Ghazi goal. I think these two highlights will let these two as hero's (while everyone knows that they're not more than decent).

Anyway, I agree that Kalinic was unfortunate with coming in our worst form. While Steer took his chance with our greatest form. Fully deserved as he's been around for a long time.

What about Brad Guzan and Brad Friedel?

11 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Is he still alive?

I know you don't expect to have to use a sub keeper, but how many millions of pounds did we spend on this guy? Less than a year ago? And he's been deemed so hopeless we start Steer and have Nyland on the bench? Has he been seen goose-stepping while chanting SOTV or something? 

£7m spent on him, I wouldn’t rule him out of having success here, he hasn’t really had a fair crack at the whip for me. He’s only played 9 games for us according to wiki, are we in a position where we can just discard a £7 Croatia international goalkeeper? I don’t think so

1 minute ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

£7m spent on him, I wouldn’t rule him out of having success here, he hasn’t really had a fair crack at the whip for me. He’s only played 9 games for us according to wiki, are we in a position where we can just discard a £7 Croatia international goalkeeper? I don’t think so

Barring a career ending injury I imagine Heaton will be our first choice keeper for this season and the next, at least.

Can't see Kalinic sticking around for 2 years as a fringe player waiting for his chance to shine.

Unless he's on crazy money and is content on not playing.

And since we can only field 1 keeper at a time I struggle to see how he could have any kind of success here.

4 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Don’t disagree with you at all SGC, but do we know if he wants a crack at it here?  For all we know, his attitude could be poor and he wants out, which may explain his absence from the squad?  

8 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

He's clearly 4th choice keeper at this point, I wouldn't be suprised if he never even gets another game for us, in fact that's probably what will happen unless we have a really bad injury crisis or all 3 of our other keepers suddenly turn to shit or both. And if he never gets another game for us, he isn't going to get  the opportunity to show that he deserves the spot.

If the fact that we wouldn't discard a 7(million) pound Croatia international goalkeeper is the reason why he will eventually get a game, then why hasn't his price tag justified putting him on even the substitutes bench before this? Smith isn't going to randomly decide mid way through the season, "Wait, I have this 7 million pound international goalkeeper in my squad, I should probably give him some game time", 

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, sne said:

And since we can only field 1 keeper at a time I struggle to see how he could have any kind of success here.

on current showings I'd give him a go up front , can only be an improvement

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, sne said:

Barring a career ending injury I imagine Heaton will be our first choice keeper for this season and the next, at least.

Can't see Kalinic sticking around for 2 years as a fringe player waiting for his chance to shine.

Unless he's on crazy money and is content on not playing.

A lot of posters on here were praising Smith for his transfer policy of signing young, unproven players with potential and then he goes and signs Heaton. I’m not saying that Heaton is a bad keeper but he isn’t a long term signing.

Kalinic will be first out of the door in January I imagine but I don’t think he has had enough opportunities here and won’t be surprised if he has success at another club here or elsewhere 

1 minute ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

A lot of posters on here were praising Smith for his transfer policy of signing young, unproven players with potential and then he goes and signs Heaton. I’m not saying that Heaton is a bad keeper but he isn’t a long term signing.

Kalinic will be first out of the door in January I imagine but I don’t think he has had enough opportunities here and won’t be surprised if he has success at another club here or elsewhere 

He's already had success at other clubs, keeper of the year in Belgium a couple of seasons back so I'm sure he can do well again at another club.

But can't see it being here.

Just now, sne said:

He's already had success at other clubs, keeper of the year in Belgium a couple of seasons back so I'm sure he can do well again at another club.

But can't see it being here.

Why not? Are we ‘’better’’ than these other clubs?

17 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Don’t disagree with you at all SGC, but do we know if he wants a crack at it here?  For all we know, his attitude could be poor and he wants out, which may explain his absence from the squad?  

If his attitude was poor, he shouldn’t have been signed in the first place, Smith should’ve done his homework 

Â