Dean Smith

Demitri_C

27 minutes ago, andyjsg said:

He gets a pass from me, didn’t have too many options and half the team that did start didnt look fit to me. I’m not sure that is “on” anyone, I think we have been unfortunate in the pre-season/build up to this game. Hopefully another week and some of the players will be improved but I still think we are a couple of weeks away from being in full flow unfortunately.

The team not being fit and ready is surely on the manager? 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

There's bound to be a bit of unrest.

I echo what @JAMAICAN-VILLAN rightly states in his recent post.

For many parts last season the team struggled when Grealish got injured.

So far this season we've now lost Grealish altogether. Add to that, we've also seen RO'K and JT leave the staff. That is going to have an impact for sure.

It' a huge blow but It's down to Dean now to do his best to try and get through this and weather the storm.

There's always going to be change, whether it's players leaving or coaches moving on.

I don't believe there's anything sinister with JT or ROK leaving it was their time, but it may impact on some of the players.

Grealish sucked the oxygen out of the club for two weeks, some of the players would be felt left down. He's left a vacuum and it needs to be filled and believe that is what Smith was trying to get across with the leadership comments. It can't be done by one person unless they go and buy that type of player, it will need to be filled by others, but they don't have time to try it out.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I actually can't believe he openly said that. Europe being the aim. 

He must have known he'd be putting massive pressure on himself by such statement. 

I can only imagine these demands has come from the owners. 

Europe has to be the aim otherwise we will just keep losing the better players to the clubs at the top. That's obvious, surely? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I know some always try their best to polish a turd.

But I refuse to believe that the combo of

- Jack pissing off

_ Terry leaving

_ ROK leaving

All in the space of a couple of weeks/days hasn't somewhat unsettled us.

Not giving Dean excuses, but I kind of feel for the bloke.

It’s definitely had an impact. Not sure any of the above would have had any impact on yesterday results though. They were fitter and stronger which is understandable given our preseason. Throw in 4 or 5 woeful performances from our players and it’s little wonder we lost. Smith will need 5/6 games before he knows what is his best 11.

Good to see the Smith bashing squad out and about early doors…

FWIW I don’t think the club expected Greaslberg to leave and Buendia and Bailey were scouted to play with him. It has thrown a massive spanner in the works imo, even more than the disrupted pre-season schedule. That’s not on the manager. 

The Ings signing, while high quality, doesn’t address the loss of JG and mucks up the balance of the side. He’s neither a direct replacement or equipped to play as a lone striker. It’s an odd one. 

Damsgaard makes a lot more sense as someone to restore the balance in 4-2-3-1, but that puts Ings on the bench when Ollie is fit - probably the best outcome. 

The real issue is central midfield, as it has been for two seasons. A new DM is obviously crucial and the players we’re linked to demonstrates that Deano is thinking the same. 

We’re going through a period of massive change in squad and staff, but Smith is the man to bring us through it into a new and better normal - and it will take time. 

Of the starting XI yesterday AEG and Marv should be leaving this summer, neither are good enough whatever the system we play. Upgrading Marv with Doucoure, Conor with JWP (or similar) and AEG with Damsgaard (for example)  would put us in a much better place and able to kick on.  

4 minutes ago, macandally said:

What a totally bizarre post and totally without foundation in my opinion.

Really?

Lets see.

The board set a release clause they did not believe would be met. It was and they were taken by surprise.

Two coaches have left for ‘reasons’

We have signed two players who’s preferred position is on the right and a striker who doesn’t fit our system. Unbalanced.

Smith has said twice in the last few days we are happy with what we’ve got. Hinting at no more signings.

We are in profit so far this window.

Plenty of foundation there IMO of course.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jim said:

Really?

Lets see.

The board set a release clause they did not believe would be met. It was and they were taken by surprise.

Two coaches have left for ‘reasons’

We have signed two players who’s preferred position is on the right and a striker who doesn’t fit our system. Unbalanced.

Smith has said twice in the last few days we are happy with what we’ve got. Hinting at no more signings.

We are in profit so far this window.

Plenty of foundation there IMO of course.

Were they, everyone has said there was a contingency plan for Gresford going but you obviously have inside info so do share?

The club has explained reasons why coaches have left, you can do conspiracy and see skeletons where you want if you like, however it achieves nothing and is based on your own theories again.

We are sat on £100m, but if we said that everyone will bump price up, are you that naive?

Does Dean know his best team yet, probably no and he took a calculated gamble in fitness/formation and it was exposed.  In a perfect world, this would have been addressed pre-season but with injuries and isolations it hasn’t happened, so buckle up because the first few weeks may be rocky. 

• Haha 1

The owners have a clearly defined goal, and they will do and spend whatever is required to get there.

That was a poor performance yesterday, and there have been too many like it over the last few seasons.

I think Smith is under pressure this season, and there is no doubt in my mind that the owners will move him on if he does not meet their expectations.

He is a good guy, and very likeable, but with this job comes expectations.

9 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

The owners have a clearly defined goal, and they will do and spend whatever is required to get there.

That was a poor performance yesterday, and there have been too many like it over the last few seasons.

I think Smith is under pressure this season, and there is no doubt in my mind that the owners will move him on if he does not meet their expectations.

I think that you have summed up Smith's situation simply and succinctly. I hope he can make the step up that is required.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Rightfully so. My hope is he comes out of his comfort zone a bit, he is a little bit more nastier in his decision making and in press conferences. I cannot believe he hasn't snapped back at Grealish questions from reporters - like the media are questioning your managerial record & ability when they ask you about Jack after a defeat against Watford. Tell them to do one! There is a time and a place to be emotional. 

Dean will learn from yesterday's defeat. We will improve greatly in the coming games as the squad gel and match fitness improves. I like that he is working within a new coaching set-up that will challenge him too and potentially help him progress. Big season for him, make or break.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KAZZAM said:

Think there needs to be an investigation into our poor preseason. I mean who organised it ? Surely Dean has a big input on it? Watford played 6 preseason games vs our 4 and just randomly checking the Newcastle vs West ham game they played 6 and 7 preseason games. Why did we only play 4? when others played so many more ? I even noticed Liverpool had friendly's on consecutive days for each half of there squad.Where was the planning? it just feels all so casual and not serious enough from Dean and co.

Targett and Cash both looked a million miles of the pace and i can only put that down to not being match fit.And the team in general defo didnt looked 'jelled' at all.

That’s a really good point. Also the quality of the opposition. Last year, from memory we played Man U and Arsenal and we reaped the benefits in our start to the season. This year it was all lower league opposition and unfortunately the Seville game got called off. It’s also annoying to see Luiz’s Brazil team mates already featuring for their clubs.  

Plenty of stuff has been out of our control but we definitely could have done better. 

Very annoyed that this happened but that defeat was so easy to call, which sadly i did. The reason was just so obvious, it was the worst pre-season preparation i have ever seen, a bit of a shambles actually. It was obvious that a newly promoted Watford team would be fired up & well prepared on their big day back & we were nowhere near..... which is exactly where it was obvious we would be after such awful preparation (& to think the club motif used to say "prepared"). I don't know who organised it but that pre-season was embarrsingly bad and it's no wonder we didn't turn up at Watford. Even with all that it was startling to see the extent of the half cocked approach. I struggle to fathom how a bunch of players can fail to get themselves up & in the zone for an opening day fixture?! Worrying!

Now the pressure is on to get a result on Saturday with our team still playing catch-up fitness wise and with lots of new faces still getting to know each other.

Not sure how much of this falls on DS directly but someone needs words.

Oh & surely but surely it is now adundantly clear we need that CDM we have been lacking for several years now?

Edited by danceoftheshamen
  • Like 2

The pre-season thing is weird, last year we seemed to have a particularly good one and it was noted in quite a few places that this had a huge impact on our good start to the season. There was some sort of team-building hiking trip in the Brecons from what I recall that seemed to work really well for building a sense of togetherness and team spirit. Just strange that repeating that wouldn't have been a higher priority -- can only assume things like the Euros and even the Jack saga made it too difficult.

Edited by jayEm

4 hours ago, KAZZAM said:

Think there needs to be an investigation into our poor preseason. I mean who organised it ? Surely Dean has a big input on it? Watford played 6 preseason games vs our 4 and just randomly checking the Newcastle vs West ham game they played 6 and 7 preseason games. Why did we only play 4? when others played so many more ? I even noticed Liverpool had friendly's on consecutive days for each half of there squad.Where was the planning? it just feels all so casual and not serious enough from Dean and co.

Targett and Cash both looked a million miles of the pace and i can only put that down to not being match fit.And the team in general defo didnt looked 'jelled' at all.

Quite right. There were even some all premier league fixtures arranged as well, but all we managed was three championship sides, a league 1 side and (though no fault of their own) a newly promoted Serie A side. 

There may have been some behind closed doors games as well, but nothing of note that would be a proper test. It’s not JUST about fitness in pre season. It’s about getting the right mindset as well and trying for the win against strong teams. It doesn’t look as though we bothered to prepare for that. (Which is ironic, really)

Edited by Tayls

Â