Dean Smith

Demitri_C

5 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Agree with all of this, to be clear I haven't criticised anything, I simply believe that Europe is this years target, generally that means finishing around 8th

Unless we can ditch this Pusillanimous approach....Europe is pie in the sky.

2 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Quite right. There were even some all premier league fixtures arranged as well, but all we managed was three championship sides, a league 1 side and (though no fault of their own) a newly promoted Serie A side. 

There may have been some behind closed doors games as well, but nothing of note that would be a proper test. It’s not JUST about fitness in pre season. It’s about getting the right mindset as well and trying for the win against strong teams. It doesn’t look as though we bothered to prepare for that. (Which is ironic, really)

This is what i have been banging on about. A lack of pre season and the evening before the game all of the senior coaching team take the night off to go and watch Brentford. Kind of gives the idea that we don't need to work on Watford any more. We are prepared. 

Whether i am miles off or not it did strike me as odd . 

( maybe there was a card school in their absence and Targett got **** up on the Jaegerbombs ) .. joke 

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Agree with all of this, to be clear I haven't criticised anything, I simply believe that Europe is this years target, generally that means finishing around 8th

It's 7th for europa conference league, don't think it goes down to 8th in any circumstance.

Of course it can also mean a mediocre league season but a very good cup run. Dream of course is FA cup but we got to league cup final all of two years ago while being in the relegation zone so just have to hope for kind draw and hopefully no Man. City in final (as they win it with their eyes closed every season) and we reach europa that way.

Once everyone is fit we certainly have the squad to rotate and be competitive in league cup otherwise you wonder what the point of spending 100m + is if it isn't.

21 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

I don't see any need for an investigation. I think it was simply that key players were missing. There really wasn't enough time for them to do a proper preseason. Guys like Cash have no excuse for how poor his play was but others like Traore were injured,  Mings, Grealish, Martinez and Luiz out for international duty. That's 5 of our normal starting 11 that missed nearly all of the preaseason. Then you're dealing with preseason injuries like Targett, Buendia and then Watkins. Plus the Grealish transfer that happened 2 weeks ago and then you have Bailey and Ings who were brought in so late. Half of our preseason games were U23s who will not see first team game time this year. Salernitana was really the first time they were able to play together as a first team and even then it was still without key players. What would you like them to do?

I was wanting to post something like this, but you have done all the leg work for me. 100% agree.

Would add that Deano had two seperate bouts of self isolation cos of covid, and that his wife was really very ill. 

Also we lost two first team coaches. 

I don’t see how much of that could be avoided tbh.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

It's 7th for europa conference league, don't think it goes down to 8th in any circumstance.

Of course it can also mean a mediocre league season but a very good cup run. Dream of course is FA cup but we got to league cup final all of two years ago while being in the relegation zone so just have to hope for kind draw and hopefully no Man. City in final (as they win it with their eyes closed every season) and we reach europa that way.

Once everyone is fit we certainly have the squad to rotate and be competitive in league cup otherwise you wonder what the point of spending 100m + is if it isn't.

See now I think different on that.

I believe that, why cant we be one of the clubs like Leicester screwing another City chance for Silverwear. I just would love now how Jack turned his back on us, his team mates, his club to get a foul taste of Karma of losing to Villa in a final. Imagine he and City were put that high in an ivory tower as favourites to win (which they would be) then they go cock it all up against Jack's old club and he and his team mates have to watch Villa lift a piece of Silverware, wouldn't that be poetry.

I want us to and hope we play City in a final because if there was a slim chance we could do one on them no matter how crap the odds, I'd take that final over a final with any other club.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, KAZZAM said:

Think there needs to be an investigation into our poor preseason. I mean who organised it ? Surely Dean has a big input on it? Watford played 6 preseason games vs our 4 and just randomly checking the Newcastle vs West ham game they played 6 and 7 preseason games. Why did we only play 4? when others played so many more ? I even noticed Liverpool had friendly's on consecutive days for each half of there squad.Where was the planning? it just feels all so casual and not serious enough from Dean and co.

Targett and Cash both looked a million miles of the pace and i can only put that down to not being match fit.And the team in general defo didnt looked 'jelled' at all.

I'd assume this is a big part of what Lange is responsible for. 

7 hours ago, Villa_Vids said:

Rightfully so. My hope is he comes out of his comfort zone a bit, he is a little bit more nastier in his decision making and in press conferences. I cannot believe he hasn't snapped back at Grealish questions from reporters - like the media are questioning your managerial record & ability when they ask you about Jack after a defeat against Watford. Tell them to do one! There is a time and a place to be emotional. 

Dean will learn from yesterday's defeat. We will improve greatly in the coming games as the squad gel and match fitness improves. I like that he is working within a new coaching set-up that will challenge him too and potentially help him progress. Big season for him, make or break.

He isn't the type to snap back at reporters or be demonstrative in public, but we shouldn't let that lead us to believe he lacks the ruthlessness to make unpopular decisions, far from it. He obviously goes about things in a more measured and thoughtful approach without the need for histrionics. 

This notion that he's too soft is ridiculous. Just because he's a decent natured person doesn't mean he's not averse to telling players a few home truths when they need to hear it. He came out and said that yesterday's performance was unacceptable and I'm sure he articulated that to the players in no uncertain manner. 

I have every confidence that he his still the man to take us forward and one lousy performance is not going to alter that opinion..

my comment isnt in relation to the Watford result (in fact its entirely not about that), but more if a general statement for the season, my point is, i can see this season specifically being one where he is judged against the targets he has agreed with the board in terms of whether he continues to take the club forward.

We have invested 320m+ in the playing squad since we came back to the Prem, now whether his target is mid table, top 8, top 6 or whatever, i kind of feel if he fails to achieve whatever target it is, he hasnt got the excuse of time, lack of funds, lack of quality in the squad etc.

I really hope he nails it, some of the talent we have in the squad is top notch (Watkins, Ings, Buendia, Bailey to name a few).

Yes we have lost our talisman and best player in Mike Lubb, but many teams in this league would give their right arm for some of our players i think, we cant be of the mindset that we arent good enough to move forward or that we cant manage without Mike Lubb.

I might be wrong, the board might see this as a long term project and they will stick with Deano regardless?, dunno tho.

really hope Deano gets us kicking this season, we have some very exciting players and if they all click we will be a nightmare to play against.

On another note, i know i hark on constantly about needing a proper number 6, and i stand by that as a glaring hole we need to fill, but i also think our recruitment the last 2 summers generally, has been absolutely top notch, i think to varying degrees, Martinez, Traore, Watkins, Sanson, Cash, Buendia, Bailey, & Ings have either been a huge success, or are great buys and can be a huge success going forward, some great signings.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 2

Another thing we've all forgotten about is home advantage. It sort of disappeared during Covid, but look at this weekend's results:

• 7 home wins
  • 0 draws
  • 3 away wins

It's only one gameweek, but I wouldn't be surprised if this pattern holds over the course of the season. The full crowds completely change the atmosphere, influencing the players and the referees.

What Smith may need to do is have a tighter, more compact setup for away games. Perhaps that's what he thought he was doing starting Young at LW and Nakamba at CM, but clearly it didn't work. Or perhaps he thought Watford were there for the taking, hence starting AEG, who has always been a bit of a flat track bully.

I think starting Watkins and Bailey will make us much more dangerous on the counter, and let us sit back more confidently. But as others have said, yes that still requires this central midfield issue to be resolved.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, KAZZAM said:

Think there needs to be an investigation into our poor preseason. I mean who organised it ? Surely Dean has a big input on it? Watford played 6 preseason games vs our 4 and just randomly checking the Newcastle vs West ham game they played 6 and 7 preseason games. Why did we only play 4? when others played so many more ? I even noticed Liverpool had friendly's on consecutive days for each half of there squad.Where was the planning? it just feels all so casual and not serious enough from Dean and co.

Targett and Cash both looked a million miles of the pace and i can only put that down to not being match fit.And the team in general defo didnt looked 'jelled' at all.

I think we played 6/7 games, no? A couple of them were behind closed doors because Covid. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

He needs to go back to the basics and stop trying to reinvent the wheel. He has always played with a 6 and a couple of 8's in the past, right up until last season.

Trust your instincts. Don't be something you are clearly not. 

He is currently trying to adapt to his players when it should be the other way around.

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

He is currently trying to adapt to his players when it should be the other way around.

I don't know if this is true or not, but if it is then there has been a monumental **** up in terms of recruitment. I think time will tell, it is only one game. 

Just now, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I don't know if this is true or not, but if it is then there has been a monumental **** up in terms of recruitment. I think time will tell, it is only one game. 

If it isn't true then why did he play 4-4-2 in pre season.

He has openly said that he never brought in Watkins to play out wide so you can only imagine the plan is to play Ings and Watkins up front together. And that's going away from his known setup.

I agree time will tell, but this is the feeling I am getting.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I think we played 6/7 games, no? A couple of them were behind closed doors because Covid. 

walsall, bristol, stoke, saleritana. there was one on the same day as the bristol game behind closed doors but i believe those are all we played

looking back, targett really played very few preseason games. makes his selection saturday even more confusing considering young played every one of them.

16 hours ago, blandy said:

That’s ridiculous. Scouting the opposition for 2 games time, when the team are already just up the road for the Watford game. I mean the players will have been in their rooms, after travelling down in the afternoon, team meeting, meal and then the management take a couple of hours to watch the team we play third game of the season. It’s what they should be doing. You can’t blame Dean Smith for scouting the oppo!

I don't blame him for scouting the oppo at all. But i do question if you need all 4 there. I know i am clutching but thats what happens when you get not only a disappointing result but an incredibly shit performance that screamed unprepared. The only ridiculous thing here was the first half showing. 

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

walsall, bristol, stoke, saleritana. there was one on the same day as the bristol game behind closed doors but i believe those are all we played

looking back, targett really played very few preseason games. makes his selection saturday even more confusing considering young played every one of them.

We definitely played Crewe behind closed doors. There was also another game on the day of the Walsall friendly (Fleetwood?). So that's 6. 

We're not underprepared or undercooked or any other phrase which begins with under, except underperforming. But it is still just one game. 

He made a mistake with his set up for Watford. He should have had 3 in midfield Ramsey, McGinn ahead of Nakamba. With Buendia and Anwar/Young in the wide roles, we needed to get players fit and Buendia needed to play but better to have him out wide

• Like 3

Â