Dean Smith

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

We definitely played Crewe behind closed doors. There was also another game on the day of the Walsall friendly (Fleetwood?). So that's 6. 

We're not underprepared or undercooked or any other phrase which begins with under, except underperforming. But it is still just one game. 

targett's no usain bolt, but he looked very much off the pace saturday

hindsight being a wonderful thing and all that, if we'd just doubled up on sarr from the moment he first ghosted past targett, we'd have gotten something from the game saturday. we had the warning after about 2 mins

On 15/08/2021 at 07:22, AvfcRigo82 said:

There's bound to be a bit of unrest.

I echo what @JAMAICAN-VILLAN rightly states in his recent post.

For many parts last season the team struggled when Grealish got injured.

So far this season we've now lost Grealish altogether. Add to that, we've also seen RO'K and JT leave the staff. That is going to have an impact for sure.

It' a huge blow but It's down to Dean now to do his best to try and get through this and weather the storm.

Is there a storm to weather? I mean one freak result aside (hopefully) Im not sure how much disruption there truly has been?

Shakespeare is an experienced top level coach whose influence I would imagine now grows and JT other than being an elite player in his day who knows what from a coaching perspective we’d miss? Grealish leaving is no doubt is a blow but one we were prepared for.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

He isn't the type to snap back at reporters or be demonstrative in public, but we shouldn't let that lead us to believe he lacks the ruthlessness to make unpopular decisions, far from it. He obviously goes about things in a more measured and thoughtful approach without the need for histrionics. 

This notion that he's too soft is ridiculous. Just because he's a decent natured person doesn't mean he's not averse to telling players a few home truths when they need to hear it. He came out and said that yesterday's performance was unacceptable and I'm sure he articulated that to the players in no uncertain manner. 

I have every confidence that he his still the man to take us forward and one lousy performance is not going to alter that opinion..

I wouldn't disagree with any of that. I just hope Dean knows the media are coming for him, and they have a very low opinion of his achievements/success with Villa, unlike us fans. The narrative is only going to build, he needs to come out fighting and not doubt himself. 

This is a massive season for Smith. The expectation from the club is a push at Euro qualification. That’s a massive ask for us. It probably means a 10 point improvement on last season. I know the fans may think that’s an unrealistic target to set but that is clearly the target of the board and has been stated by several parties including Dean.

It’s hard to assess how achievable the above is until the players have settled down and we have finished our business but Saturday was deeply concerning. Smith made some big errors. This is not hindsight talking because I felt the same as soon as I saw the team. If we’d set up 4-3-3 and started with Bailey, Ings and Emi up top and SJM, Marv and Ramsey in the middle then there’s no way we would have found ourselves 3-0 down. He also should never have waited until half time to bring on the extra CM. It was so obvious that the change was required. 
There were lots of other mitigating factors that can rightly be made to excuse Saturday and certainly made things harder for us but the initial set up and failure to react to the situation quickly enough are 100% on the manager. What’s more concerning is I fully expect him to continue with either a 4-2-3-1 or 4-2-2 formation which I just can’t see working.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, villalad21 said:

He is currently trying to adapt to his players when it should be the other way around.

I think Dean is a bit too old to move up from a centre-back to a defensive mid myself.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Said on SNN Smith has quoted, he isn't looking for anymore players. If we don't sign a midfielder, we better hope Luiz is 110% this season.

Personally thought we may blow the 100m we got for Grealish plus 20-30m.

If that's true (and there's always a chance they're just keeping it quiet until they unveil another signing), it's pretty underwhelming and not in keeping with the expectations we have that of the owners' determination to break into the European spots, IMO. 

• Like 2

Just now, Davkaus said:

If that's true (and there's always a chance they're just keeping it quiet until they unveil another signing), it's pretty underwhelming and not in keeping with the expectations we have that of the owners' determination to break into the European spots, IMO. 

Yeah if true, it's a disaster. Luiz Nakamba and McGinn as 6s just aren't good enough. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Villa_Vids said:

I wouldn't disagree with any of that. I just hope Dean knows the media are coming for him, and they have a very low opinion of his achievements/success with Villa, unlike us fans. The narrative is only going to build, he needs to come out fighting and not doubt himself. 

Don't underestimate him. I like the fact that he remains calm regardless of whatever negativity is being thrown his way. Look how healthy the club now looks . Our youth system is becoming a thing of envy for other clubs. Trust me, Dean Smith has played a massive part in steering this club in the right direction. Why do you think Brentford fans still hold him in high regard ? I've said all along, we're privileged to have him at the helm. He's no shrinking violet. He will be reminding those players of their responsibilities and how performances like Saturday are unacceptable. We made progress as a team last season and I firmly believe we will do so again this season. 

Have faith, my friend. Dean will be fine and so will the Villa.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thabucks said:

Is there a storm to weather? I mean one freak result aside (hopefully) Im not sure how much disruption there truly has been?

Shakespeare is an experienced top level coach whose influence I would imagine now grows and JT other than being an elite player in his day who knows what from a coaching perspective we’d miss? Grealish leaving is no doubt is a blow but one we were prepared for.  

Nice to see someone at least attempting to put things in to perspective. Going by some of the posters on here you would think we had been relegated. 

• Thanks 1

I think Smith has so far got a bye from the owners and Purslow because he has, in theory, progressed us every season. The extent of that progression is debatable because over £300m has been invested in the squad and his results without JG have been, and continue to be, woeful.

Brentford don't seem to have suffered since he left - in fact, they've largely improved. Thomas Frank has done a far better job there. 

I don't like saying it because like everyone else I like DS as a person - he's well spoken, affable, and a great spokesman for the club. He clearly wants the best for the club. But his management in my opinion is below par and I think if we regress this season the owners will lose patience if their aspirations are to take us into Europe.

Watching that first half performance on Saturday you'd have thought the board would be very concerned. It's rumored Smith was called into Purslow's office post-match.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Said on SNN Smith has quoted, he isn't looking for anymore players. If we don't sign a midfielder, we better hope Luiz is 110% this season.

Personally thought we may blow the 100m we got for Grealish plus 20-30m.

SSN is a glorified betting shop, I wouldn’t take anything they say as gospel 

14 minutes ago, macandally said:

How has he got a bye when he has improved us every season?

He has done exactly what he is paid to do and has with the current owners totally changed the dynamics of the club from the pig sty it was under Bruce

Thats not a “bye”, that’s delivering 

It's his record without the traitor that makes his managerial skills questionable - when Grealish played, get the ball to him, he'll make something happen.

Without him just absolutely no coherency in our game whatsoever. We end up reverting to hoofball.

It's only one game but he needs to prove quickly he hasn't just been living off the magical performances of one man for the last 3 years. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

It's his record without the traitor that makes his managerial skills questionable - when Grealish played, get the ball to him, he'll make something happen.

Without him just absolutely no coherency in our game whatsoever. We end up reverting to hoofball.

It's only one game but he needs to prove quickly he hasn't just been living off the magical performances of one man for the last 3 years. 

Which is very strange considering the football Brentford played under Smith. Without Grealish 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

Don't underestimate him. I like the fact that he remains calm regardless of whatever negativity is being thrown his way. Look how healthy the club now looks . Our youth system is becoming a thing of envy for other clubs. Trust me, Dean Smith has played a massive part in steering this club in the right direction. Why do you think Brentford fans still hold him in high regard ? I've said all along, we're privileged to have him at the helm. He's no shrinking violet. He will be reminding those players of their responsibilities and how performances like Saturday are unacceptable. We made progress as a team last season and I firmly believe we will do so again this season. 

Have faith, my friend. Dean will be fine and so will the Villa.

Well if we play like we did on Saturday throughout the season, that’s exactly what we will be.  I can’t remember a worst first half since we got rid of Bruce 

• Like 1

Â