Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Losing this game would've been very bad optics for him.

I actually thought on the whole the performance was one of the better ones in last two months (a low bar I know). We at least for most of the game passed through far better than v likes of Newcastle and Fulham.

We simply just have too many players who make poor decisions on counter attack and in final third e.g. Traore and Barkley so that's a big part of why the season has just fizzled out as we needed both to step up big time in Jack's absence and opposite happened.

Subs were odd but nothing new there. We simply must have backup striker in squad next season Dean trusts to use from 60th min mark otherwise we'll have the same problems.

Apart from Jose there ain't any top tier manager available on the marked right now.

The Gerrard rumour may happen sometime in the future if he keeps improving at Rangers, but i can't see Dean not getting next season.

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

It’s like the guy who sits outside a school all day and says he can because it’s a free world.

willem dafoe smile GIF

Or it’s like the man who loves football so much he supports two teams. I mean it does happen. Anyway if my posts annoy you so much why not use the ignore button or just simply ignore my posts. It would save us both a lot of time.

Just now, villalad21 said:

Apart from Jose there ain't any top tier manager available on the marked right now.

The Gerrard rumour may happen sometime in the future if he keeps improving at Rangers, but i can't see Dean not getting next season.

How is Gerrad a top tier manager? He won a league easier than the championship. 

• Like 2

Mid table championship to mid table prem in 3 years. It's a record to be proud of.

Looks like he has hit a plateau at the moment. Time will tell.

When that time comes don't expect a big name replacement - we would be looking for a head coach to slot into the existing team (imo)

• Like 2

I'm sure those people saying, "don't worry everything is great, we don't have to worry about relegation", have a different view from our new owners.

They can't be happy with the second half of the season, we have completely flopped and there's no question it will end in disappointment now, it can't be anything else.

Currently on a run of one win in seven or eight is it and unable to beat any of the 'as good as relegated' teams.

Anyone okay with our form, especially if it continues until the end of the season, as seems increasingly likely, is just in denial.

If it continues like this, there is a perfectly valid case for relieving him of his duties.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Have you missed the last two seasons?

Chap, Claudio Ranieri won Leicester the league and still got sacked for poor form.

This season is write off from now on and we are lucky we are where we are. I'll give him next season till Christmas, not sure the board will.

Can't shake the fact we had the survival bounce at the start of this season, won our first 4 games and since then form has been in decline steadily. Our last 28 games we've amassed 33 points, an avg per game 1.17 and over course of a 38 game season that's 44 points and that avg is going only one way. 

Can't shake the feeling spending over 200 million on players since we were promoted to get us lower mid table. Is that ok? slightly below expectation I'd say. 

How much of that is Deano's fault  I don't know. 

• Like 1

Regardless of what any of us think, I really think that if this continues he will be sacked at the end of the season. We were better today in my view but it’s still an awful result against an awful team. It’s our easiest fixture remaining and we nearly lost it! Will be amazed if we win again this season.

• Like 1

Just now, CVByrne said:

Can't shake the feeling spending over 200 million on players since we were promoted to get us lower mid table. Is that ok? slightly below expectation I'd say. 

Honest, yes

This is a mid table squad currently sat in mid table 

Don't look at us look at everyone else in the league, £200m isn't that much, we're above wolves, game in hand behind arsenal and if we beat then Saturday (!) 3 points off Everton 

My idea is that, we start using the ideas/personell we chuck on at the death of a game, to try and win a game, but try it earlier, or from the start?

Surely the idea can't be that crazy? As if the management team didn't think they could win a game, they wouldn't bring them on in the first place?

If the thinking is that we have a higher chance of winning a game, by bringing these lads on, and changing the method pf play to get a result, wouldn't trying it earlier, increase those chances?

( Obviously a multitude of variables apply, but still )

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

3 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Can't shake the fact we had the survival bounce at the start of this season, won our first 4 games and since then form has been in decline steadily. Our last 28 games we've amassed 33 points, an avg per game 1.17 and over course of a 38 game season that's 44 points and that avg is going only one way. 

How much of that is Deano's fault  I don't know. 

Good, measured summary 👍

1 minute ago, M_Afro said:

Regardless of what any of us think, I really think that if this continues he will be sacked at the end of the season. We were better today in my view but it’s still an awful result against an awful team. It’s our easiest fixture remaining and we nearly lost it! Will be amazed if we win again this season.

I don't see him being sacked in the summer. I can see him getting a bollocking and firm assurances that he'll be gone if this continues into next season though 

6 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

I'm sure those people saying, "don't worry everything is great, we don't have to worry about relegation", have a different view from our new owners.

They can't be happy with the second half of the season, we have completely flopped and there's no question it will end in disappointment now, it can't be anything else.

Currently on a run of one win in seven or eight is it and unable to beat any of the 'as good as relegated' teams.

Anyone okay with our form, especially if it continues until the end of the season, as seems increasingly likely, is just in denial.

If it continues like this, there is a perfectly valid case for relieving him of his duties.

Liverpool have taken 1 more point than us since our bad form started, nobody is calling for Klopp head. Same with Hassnhuttl who has done a lot worse

• Like 2

I’m not sure why some cannot accept that others may have doubts & questions regarding Smith’s position? Let’s not fracture the fans again. I have my views on Smith . I accept that others hold views differently to mine. I don’t feel the need to call others out for this . 

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Liverpool have taken 1 more point than us since our bad form started, nobody is calling for Klopp head. Same with Hassnhuttl who has done a lot worse

I don't know, maybe Klopp's job security has something to do with dragging Liverpool to their first PL title amongst a host of other incredible achievements.

I also doubt some Southampton fans aren't calling for Hassnhuttl's head either. Suffering 9-0 losses and just the horrendous run of form is surely going to turn some heads.

Â