Dean Smith

Demitri_C

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Liverpool have taken 1 more point than us since our bad form started, nobody is calling for Klopp head. Same with Hassnhuttl who has done a lot worse

Totally agree!!

I cannot believe we are even talking about Smith's job. We're going to finish 12th at the worst, which at the beginning of the season no one would've complained about.

We haven't had our captain and best player for nearly 3 months. 

Every season he has improved us, without fail so he is guaranteed most of next season if not all of it barring a ridiculous fall off back into relegation.

Calling for Smith's head is just plain ignorance, people just riled because this is not the season we qualify for Champions League.

If you are going to call for Smith's head, attach a realistic manager you want to replace him with...

I cannot wait for the list....

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Paulie said:

VillaTalk has lost the plot.

Same people that probably defended Bruce right until the death when he was shite for the best part of a year. They want 4-4-2, back the 1990s when that formation was last used. Hoof it to the big man, none of this passing lark.

Not sure what people expect here, we were in the Championship 2 seasons ago and people are calling for him to be sacked because our European charge has ended without our best player available. Insane.

Edited by AndyM3000
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Liverpool have taken 1 more point than us since our bad form started, nobody is calling for Klopp head. Same with Hassnhuttl who has done a lot worse

Mate, surely we don't need to go into the many reasons why Klopp has a few billion credit in the bank at Liverpool?

• Like 2

Just now, AndyM3000 said:

Same people that probably defended Bruce right until the death when he was shite for the best part of a year. They want 4-4-2, back the 1990s when that formation was last used. Hoof it to the big man, none of this passing lark.

Not sure what people expect here, we were in the Championship 2 seasons ago and people are calling for him to be sacked because our European charge has ended without our best player available. Insane.

Pretty much nailed on

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Mate, surely we don't need to go into the many reasons why Klopp has a few billion credit in the bank at Liverpool?

If Klopp went to Liverpool when they were mid table in the championship, brought them back up to the premier league in half a season, then kept them up the next, and then had them mid table the year after without Salah for a quarter of the season would they be calling for his head?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Paulie said:

If Klopp went to Liverpool when they were mid table in the championship, brought them back up to the premier league in half a season, then kept them up the next, and then had them mid table the year after without Salah for a quarter of the season would they be calling for his head?

Yes. Plop fans are arseholes

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

It's not about missing out on Europe, in the second half of the season we are 18th in the form table. That cannot be ignored, with or without Grealish. 

6 minutes ago, thabucks said:

I’m not sure why some cannot accept that others may have doubts & questions regarding Smith’s position? Let’s not fracture the fans again. I have my views on Smith . I accept that others hold views differently to mine. I don’t feel the need to call others out for this . 

I don’t think asking posters to justify a negative stance is calling people out.  

All I see in this thread from negative posters is a disassociation from reality.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

is going on a record breaking winning run, getting Villa promoted and then keeping them up against all the odds not an incredible achievement from Smith as well

No

Because there is an unrealistic expectation and demand that he should do more and now and if he doesn't then because we're a huge club we can have the pick of whatever world class manager we want 

This is going to be an absolute marathon to get us to where we all want to be and a lot of people are going to lose their shit along the way because they haven't got the patience 

Personally I seriously believe that we won't get to a position where we are playing European football and challenging for top 4 until the youth prospects come good, talking 3 years plus... Thats unacceptable for a lot of people but that's what I think is realistic, we don't make a CL push until this squad is propped up by Chuk, Barry et al as 20 year olds 

• Like 3

Just now, Zatman said:

is going on a record breaking winning run, getting Villa promoted and then keeping them up against all the odds not an incredible achievement from Smith as well

Lmao, okay couple of points;

Firstly, Klopp's achievements still stand way over those and you're kidding yourself if you think otherwise.

Secondly, the record breaking thing distorts the picture. He brought us from 14th to 5th in the championship table. A great achievement but lets not act like its this mythical thing that the term "record breaking" makes it seem like. 

Thirdly, how do you give all the credit for keeping us up "against incredible odds" at Smith but neglect to mention who's fault it was were were so close to being relegated in the first place? 

3 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

It's not about missing out on Europe, in the second half of the season we are 18th in the form table. That cannot be ignored, with or without Grealish. 

In the last 20 games we are 11th in the form table which starts on Boxing Day which is pretty much when the 2nd half of the season usually starts

8 minutes ago, Paulie said:

Some of them actually have called for his head. ( Idiots of course ).

However you could then argue that, he has done a great job just keeping pace of Europe, not " without Salah ", but without Ming's, Konsa, McGinn, Luiz, and all of their backups. ( Plus a below par Mane ( El Ghazi?) Etc.

This is AFTER turninh them from a team battling for top 6, to winning the Champions League, and Premier League, in devastating fashion for two years non stop.

The quality of football, work ethic and proactivity was second to none.

To add to that, he had pedigree at a top club in a top League. 

Look I get the point you are trying to make, but it's a stretch IMO.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

Just now, Laughable Chimp said:

Lmao, okay couple of points;

Firstly, Klopp's achievements still stand way over those and you're kidding yourself if you think otherwise.

Secondly, the record breaking thing distorts the picture. He brought us from 14th to 5th in the championship table. A great achievement but lets not act like its this mythical thing that the term "record breaking" makes it seem like. 

Thirdly, how do you give all the credit for keeping us up "against incredible odds" at Smith but neglect to mention who's fault it was were were so close to being relegated in the first place? 

Yes it was Smith fault that he had to build a new squad for the Premier League and his starting centre forward and goalkeeper were then crocked to season ending injuries

I think people are just worried about Jack moving on in the near future. Not this summer but think summer 2022 is big possibility.

The last two months have shown we'll certainly be back at square one at this level if Jack Grealish is no longer playing for us as we find it near impossible to beat anyone witout him.

So I think there is pressure on Dean to achieve something we haven't done in a long time while he remains. So really plodding around 10-12th for next two years won't cut it. Everyone says the board is incredibly ambitious so won't be enough for them either just like it wasn't for Man. City when Hughes was sacked a year or so into their reign when they were 6th or 7th.

It's a really big summer for DS, even more so than last summer as the backline has been brilliant and we have a striker in the 10-15 goal range so those are the big positives from the season so lots to build on.

We really need to get that good quickly Jack dosen't want to leave anytime soon. It's a big task but Vardy has never wanted to leave Leicester so it can be done for those outside the main clubs.

Edited by VillaChris

12 minutes ago, Zatman said:

There probably are some calling for Klopps head. Southampton's ceiling is a bit lower. they are a selling club and bet their net spend is quite low. For me Smith is ok as long as we dont loose nearly every game the reminder of the season but his credit will be used up and will need a decent start next season. if we start next season like we are finishing this season then hes got to go. On the other hand the owners might have  different views and want to start fresh with a new manager next season. 

2 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Bruce's and Xias, maybe susos too but he had one hell of a job to do and a few of his signings came good after he went 

FYI, I'm not saying Dean shouldn't have credit in the bank for his achievements with us.

But note that, you're also comparing his achievements to a manager who did a similar, if not better job, at another club, in a top league, with less resources. On a European level, even prior to the Liverpool " credit " we are discussing.

Not the same pedigree, YET. 

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

I think people are just worried about Jack moving on in the near future. Not this summer but think summer 2022 is big possibility.

The last two months have shown we'll certainly be back at square one at this level if Jack Grealish is no longer playing for us as we find it near impossible to beat anyone witout him.

So I think there is pressure on Dean to achieve something we haven't done in a long time while he remains. So really plodding around 10-12th for next two years won't cut it. Everyone says the board is incredibly ambitious so won't be enough for them either just like it wasn't for Man. City when Hughes was sacked a year or so into their reign when they were 6th or 7th.

It's a really big summer for DS, even more so than last summer as the backline has been brilliant and we have a striker in the 10-15 goal range so those are the big positives from the season so lots to build on.

We really need to get that good quickly Jack dosen't want to leave anytime soon. It's a big task but Vardy has never wanted to leave Leicester so it can be done for those outside the main clubs.

What if Grealish goes this summer?  He'll be 26 next season and a footballers career is short. 

Â