Dean Smith

Demitri_C

16 hours ago, striker said:

I did. Given the right amount of time and backing Moyes has shown what he’s about at Ham. He would have been the perfect fit at Villa as he was at Everton. It’s a darn pity Moyes didn’t end up at Villa because with the wealthy owners Villa have now he would have you top six no problem.

Personally since the Covid break Villa’s form has taken a massive dive even with Grealish in the team. It was also a massive mistake to send Hourihane on loan with the dearth of quality in Villa’s midfield. Hourihane could have played in the role McGinn has now which he was accustomed to at his previous club. Smith has also taken Hourihane’s goals from dead ball situations out of the team. I’m not saying this out of hindsight as I said the same when he was sent out on loan. Nor did I agree with Guilbert. In my opinion a very decent attacking FB who could and should have played a part this season.

Sorry, but as much as I like Smith as a person I believe at the end of the season it’s time for changing to a better manager.

Sorry mate, I couldnt give two hoots what you think about our manager.  It's weird enough that you post over 1700 posts on another clubs website, just sad really but then giving your view on our manager, i couldnt give a crap what you think.  You have enough problems in your own backyard with a very expensive manager who has only gotten you 8th so far, that seems like a failure for how much he costs and reputation, and you are only keeping tabs on 7th because of an Arsenal freebie goal last night.  So thanks for your comments but I'll file it in my favourite filing cabinet...

drag race no GIF by Robert E Blackmon

Edited by nick76
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Ain't a winning culture at the club. 

Against City there were no aggression, desire or will to win and fight for every ball. Even after scoring that goal the players didn't look like they believed they could win. We just stood off them, allowing them doing exactly what they wanted.. 

Dean smiling and hugging Pep after the game was weird. Did not like that at all. 

We've been a success according to your criteria at the beginning of the season in the vote for placing of the season you wrote that we will be battling out in the bottom 5.  I bet you are delighted at where we are now then

• Haha 1

The drop off for me is simply down to a lack of drive / desire with some players. I'm not going to start naming them as they are quite obvious to see when we play. The one thing you cannot coach is inner desire so it is 100% on the players not Smith in my view. One of the business coaching sessions i used to run was exactly about this point.

""Someone with limited talent but a burning desire to succeed will out reach someone twice as talented but who lacks the required level of desire"" 

If you have someone talented with the desire too however they will reach the absolute top. These are the players we must now target but it's tough as they naturally want trophies & Champs League and until we somehow bridge the gap & get into that top four we will struggle to attract them. 

It is not possible for DS to consistently motivate & constantly drag those players along either. Another thing we used to coach was that you simply cannot carry people. You might be able to carry one other person temporarily. If you are really strong you may even manage two for a short time but it is simply not possible even for the strongest of men to carry 3, 4 or 5 others, which is i feel the case with this Villa team.

West Ham have several of those with the necessary desire to succeed that i mention above. The two Czech players have that desire in abundance for example as does Lingard (He just didn't quite have to talent required at Man U when compared to Rashford etc) and they also have a few with Talent who are feeding off the desire of the others. This is their chance to breach that top four but if they miss out that would for me be akin to when we missed it under MON a couple of times.  

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

I presume most players in the league have had coronavirus at sometime or another so I don't think it can be used as a reason for poor form. 

We dont that is the problem, I showed a week ago that some top athletes around the world are still suffering from it and some dont even know according to doctors and it's called 'Long Covid'.   At this point we dont know, who has been impacted.  It's probably not affecting any of our players but to definitively say no is unreasonable.  It's too early to know and it's not as if we get great info from the club on medical updates.  The timing of when our form changed was the shutdown.  I checked the games before and afterwards.  It's probably just coincidence but it's affecting top athletes to various degrees because of the organs it impacts and the efficiency those organs need to be at the top of sport.

I think there are various reasons why our form has dropped off and it's probably a mix of them but you cant rule out the long term affects of covid definitively

An example is below

https://www.sbnation.com/2021/4/14/22383455/jayson-tatum-covid-celtics-inhaler  

Jayson Tatum needs an inhaler before games due to long-term Covid symptoms

A Baylor School of Medicine study showed that as many as 10 percent of those who contracted the virus could become what are being called “long haulers.”

It raises questions about how sports leagues around the world could be damaged long term by players contracting Covid, even if they’ve seemingly fully recovered.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

I don't believe this for a second, unless you know for a fact. There would be no shame in Smith coming out an saying it's effected the team. Be quite interesting to know to be honest, but I just can't see it. Also we have still seen glimpses of quality since the breakout, we beat Newcastle, Arsenal and I think Southampton the weeks after and recently saw off Fulham in the second half.

We still dont know enough about the Long Covid and medical professionals are still researching it, the reports are even saying that it's hard to tell in some.  Our medical staff may only just be understanding it through a larger sample size of data now we have ab bigger sample of data.  Who knows!  plus why at this stage would Smith come out and tell people, we barely get other medical information coming out and plus the impact on things like insurance premiums for the club when at the moment we dont have all the facts.  Just because we'd like to know everything doesnt mean the club are going to tell us.

58 minutes ago, PaulC said:

If he did it now then it would look like an excuse to be fair and what I don't understand that if any player has long-term covid effects then why would he be picking them in the first place. 

We may not know, things like fatigue coming from long covid is still being understood.  They can only be seen really in the high intensity of games and unlikely to be noticed so much in training so we are only now getting a decent sample size.  Some of our players are looking knackered quicker, defending deeper rather than the early season pressing.  Lung capacity efficiency they must be monitoring along with many other tests daily but if any those drop for a player by 5% that's a massive difference at the top of sport like the premier league

I dont know, it may be nothing and losing Barkley and Grealish impact of early season plus many other factors.  Just the timing of our change in form is so wrapped around the covid shutdown, just feels like something is there.  It's not going to change anything because we are playing poorly whether we know the reason or not.

25 minutes ago, nick76 said:

We may not know, things like fatigue coming from long covid is still being understood.  They can only be seen really in the high intensity of games and unlikely to be noticed so much in training so we are only now getting a decent sample size.  Some of our players are looking knackered quicker, defending deeper rather than the early season pressing.  Lung capacity efficiency they must be monitoring along with many other tests daily but if any those drop for a player by 5% that's a massive difference at the top of sport like the premier league

I dont know, it may be nothing and losing Barkley and Grealish impact of early season plus many other factors.  Just the timing of our change in form is so wrapped around the covid shutdown, just feels like something is there.  It's not going to change anything because we are playing poorly whether we know the reason or not.

You should seriously become Smith's PR manager. You could probably cover his ass even if he was the only one who thought the super league was a good idea.

Edited by foreveryoung
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Ain't a winning culture at the club. 

Against City there were no aggression, desire or will to win and fight for every ball. Even after scoring that goal the players didn't look like they believed they could win. We just stood off them, allowing them doing exactly what they wanted.. 

Dean smiling and hugging Pep after the game was weird. Did not like that at all. 

True he should have slapped him like a mahfookn winner.

9 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

You should seriously become Smith's PR manager. You could probably cover his ass even if he was the only one who thought the super league was a good idea.

Just because you don’t like the answer because it doesn’t fit the narrative you want that Smith is bad!  

I never mentioned Smith, I never mentioned blame, we were talking about Covid and it’s affects that the medical community are seeing and some players in other sports like Jayson Tatum are being impacted by but you want to bring it back to Smith is bad!  You’re the obsessed one about Smith, always bringing it back to Smith is bad like a dumped ex-girlfriend.

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Just because you don’t like the answer because it doesn’t fit the narrative you want that Smith is bad!  

I never mentioned Smith, I never mentioned blame, we were talking about Covid and it’s affects that the medical community are seeing and some players in other sports like Jayson Tatum are being impacted by but you want to bring it back to Smith is bad!  You’re the obsessed one about Smith, always bringing it back to Smith is bad like a dumped ex-girlfriend.

Your trying to justify Covid may have something to do with our poor run of form, which is rubbish. 

The reality is, Grealish is out and Smith's struggling with the team without his creativity. It's getting more and more obvious the coaching staff and the team have no idea or motivation without the main man. Lets stop burying our heads in the sand about it, our seasons over, even if Grealish comes back this season, I won't expect much impact, he'll be as rusty as an old cortina.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Your trying to justify Covid may have something to do with our poor run of form, which is rubbish. 

I’m assuming you have no medical background, so this is an uninformed opinion, just like mine. I justify mine by articles, you justify yours by your opinion only.

11 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

The reality is, Grealish is out and Smith's struggling with the team without his creativity.

Have I or anybody denied that? No, in fact I have said that.  It’s plainly obvious and almost all teams would struggle without a world class talent like Jack, especially a team that is only in its second season of the division.

13 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

It's getting more and more obvious the coaching staff and the team have no idea or motivation without the main man

Do they miss the main man? Of course.  The rest is your usual BS

14 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Lets stop burying our heads in the sand about it, our seasons over,

Nope we’ve talked about this, still a lot to play for in league position in attracting potentially new players. You don’t agree, fine, doesn’t mean it’s not true

15 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

even if Grealish comes back this season, I won't expect much impact, he'll be as rusty as an old cortina.

Don’t disagree with this but his presence may lift some of our other players, opposition teams may refocus on him allowing space for others.  Just because Jack himself might not have much impact, his presence could, plus he’s a talent that could help nick a goal for a win.  I mean look at Everton last night sneaking a win by something so silly.  Jack can create moments even in his rusty as an old cortina fitness levels and he couldn’t do any worse than Ross on the pitch.

2 hours ago, PaulC said:

I presume most players in the league have had coronavirus at sometime or another so I don't think it can be used as a reason for poor form. 

No that didnt happen at all. Most players didnt have corona

8 hours ago, nick76 said:

Well 7th place in the PL last season had a win ratio of 39.5% so 40% doesn’t sound too bad

er, my source tells me Nuno has a career win ratio of 48% in 384 games and a Wolves win ratio of 49% in 193 games.....So I am not sure where you get that from?

1 minute ago, TRO said:

er, my source tells me Nuno has a career win ratio of 48% in 384 games and a Wolves win ratio of 49% in 193 games.....So I am not sure where you get that from?

Eh he said 7th place in the table, nothing about Nuno in particular 

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

We've been a success according to your criteria at the beginning of the season in the vote for placing of the season you wrote that we will be battling out in the bottom 5.  I bet you are delighted at where we are now then

I am delighted we haven't reached my predicted finish of 12th , yet......but the form league tells me there is still time, we are currently 17th after the last 5 games, after securing 4 points.

Edited by TRO

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

7th place in the league last season (what I mentioned) had 15 wins in 38 games, which is 39.5% win rate

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Eh he said 7th place in the table, nothing about Nuno in particular 

Wolves finished 7th has my sherlock holmes skills let me down?

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I am delighted we haven't reached my predicted finish of 12th , yet......but the form league tells me there is still time, we are currently 17th after the last 5 games, after securing 4 points.

But the prediction was for a season and I think worse case we’ll be 12th but probably end up slightly higher....so success compared to your prediction?

Â