The NSWE Board

Guest av1

I think NSWE would have wanted us to push for Europa League and aim high this season, but they would have been realistic too and accepted progression on last season - which IMO is to finish in the top 10. 5 Losses in a row is not acceptable, nor is the excuse/losing culture that was emerging at the club.  A fresh change was needed. 

17 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

I think NSWE would have wanted us to push for Europa League and aim high this season, but they would have been realistic too and accepted progression on last season - which IMO is to finish in the top 10. 5 Losses in a row is not acceptable, nor is the excuse/losing culture that was emerging at the club.  A fresh change was needed. 

I think that they were expecting us to be the ones to threaten the top 4 not West Ham as the season before last they had finished one point above us.  They had backed the manager, backed the culture of being relentless and were now seeing regression and a lack of intensity replacing it  . The togetherness had disappeared with dissent and arguments replacing it. Not what these serious guys are going to put up with and they decided to pull the plug imo 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I’ve been thinking a lot about the last couple of weeks and wanted to put my thoughts into words, so here goes.

My first reaction to Smith’s sacking was one of sadness. He was possibly the best manager I’ve seen us have and oversaw us turning into a team that could actually play technically for a change. Good Villa sides of the last 25-ish years had always been teams that were hard to break down and could counter well - not the sort of team that would unlock defences with great passes or wizardly ball control. 

When he went, I thought he was hard-done-by and would have been able to turn us around given enough time and I still think it was a possibility. However, there was a lot of talk about him taking us as far he could, that is to the mid-table position we’d finished in the season before. Smith had always wanted to learn and improve, but in order for us to move forward as a unit, we were perhaps a little beholden on waiting around for him to do so. Not such a bad thing but not ideal either. 

So onto Gerrard. 

Obviously, I was aghast at the thought of us tearing up what we had and starting afresh with a new manager who had little relevant experience to speak of IMO, because I don’t rate the Scottish league at all. However, that wasn’t the plan and I can see that now.

The whole point of going for someone who had success with a system very similar to us was not to replace but to refine. I’ve read a lot of people talk about how we’ve got a different system now and I can’t say that I agree with it, certainly not as things stand. The difference I see is that with a fresh perspective has come new ideas and perspectives for the players. They’re not playing drastically differently from under Smith (when things were going well) but they are trying new things which have been brought by the new team. There’s also a reason that we haven’t changed our coaching staff entirely and kept on several of them. 

This appointment is basically continuing the work that NSWE started when they took over and developing the playing style and philosophy accordingly. Purslow felt it was time to take the plunge and get some fresh ideas in, and I almost certainly think that it’s proving to be the right decision.

In any case, Smith deserves a huge amount of respect and gratitude for helping us to develop to the point that we did. We had some great times under his leadership and the players and style came on immensely when you consider the standard of football and professionalism we’d seen prior to his tenure. It was, however, time to take the next step. 

All in all, I  think that we’re incredibly lucky to have the owners we do and I do trust Purslow’s judgement, despite having reservations at the time. Onwards and upwards.

Good post in my view. I think Dean deserves and has the respect of the support base but I think it had got a bit to friendly around the group and the intensity had gone a bit. SG and Co seem to have the work rate upped and I think credit to the board for taking the jump to get fresh perspective in. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lexicon said:

I’ve been thinking a lot about the last couple of weeks and wanted to put my thoughts into words, so here goes.

My first reaction to Smith’s sacking was one of sadness. He was possibly the best manager I’ve seen us have and oversaw us turning into a team that could actually play technically for a change. Good Villa sides of the last 25-ish years had always been teams that were hard to break down and could counter well - not the sort of team that would unlock defences with great passes or wizardly ball control. 

When he went, I thought he was hard-done-by and would have been able to turn us around given enough time and I still think it was a possibility. However, there was a lot of talk about him taking us as far he could, that is to the mid-table position we’d finished in the season before. Smith had always wanted to learn and improve, but in order for us to move forward as a unit, we were perhaps a little beholden on waiting around for him to do so. Not such a bad thing but not ideal either. 

So onto Gerrard. 

Obviously, I was aghast at the thought of us tearing up what we had and starting afresh with a new manager who had little relevant experience to speak of IMO, because I don’t rate the Scottish league at all. However, that wasn’t the plan and I can see that now.

The whole point of going for someone who had success with a system very similar to us was not to replace but to refine. I’ve read a lot of people talk about how we’ve got a different system now and I can’t say that I agree with it, certainly not as things stand. The difference I see is that with a fresh perspective has come new ideas and perspectives for the players. They’re not playing drastically differently from under Smith (when things were going well) but they are trying new things which have been brought by the new team. There’s also a reason that we haven’t changed our coaching staff entirely and kept on several of them. 

This appointment is basically continuing the work that NSWE started when they took over and developing the playing style and philosophy accordingly. Purslow felt it was time to take the plunge and get some fresh ideas in, and I almost certainly think that it’s proving to be the right decision.

In any case, Smith deserves a huge amount of respect and gratitude for helping us to develop to the point that we did. We had some great times under his leadership and the players and style came on immensely when you consider the standard of football and professionalism we’d seen prior to his tenure. It was, however, time to take the next step. 

All in all, I  think that we’re incredibly lucky to have the owners we do and I do trust Purslow’s judgement, despite having reservations at the time. Onwards and upwards.

Not necessarily directly related.

However, when McGinn scored that cracker, as well as his recent performances, it made me think " You know, each phase has carried positives, but needed improvement and natural evolution to reach the next level ". So, Bruce also deserves some credit for his part as well, McGinn has been a huge part of this.

Konsa, Ollie, 2 of our most important players, all Smith.

Dear I say, with some of the players coming good, Pitarch deserves credit too?

And if/when Gerrard leaves, a new man with continue the work.

Unless Gerrard falls in love with Villa and relinquishes all things Liverpool that is.

Anyway, sentimental attachments are hard to get over, but as shrewd and successful business men, sometimes you've got to have a cold view.

They have a plan, and won't waiver from it, it seems.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/11/2021 at 19:43, Zatman said:

Think Sawaris goes to nearly all of them as based in London 

Last season I reckon he was at about a quarter of them. More than Edens though, only saw him once or twice.

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

interesting development. 

I imagine we’ll have first dibs on any decent prospects too!

Very loose arrangement. Probably the equivalent of xias Indian academy project.

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

Considering it's Nas's nephew, I would have expected that to happen regardless of an official agreement. 

In these post-Brexit days, it's likely that there has to be a legal agreement in order to get work visas. They can't professionally train while on a visitor visa.

• Like 2

Â