The NSWE Board

Guest av1

• 2 weeks later...

The reported rival consortium bidding for a Vegas MLS expansion team have pulled out of the running… crazy to think it’ll cost close to $300 mill  / £215 mill for this franchise, and establishing us as a mid table premier league team has cost them £300 mill / $415 mill thus far. 

• 2 weeks later...

Mentioned it just now on the other thread but I don't quite get the disconnect emerging e.g. the owners are brilliant, amazing etc....and yet we shouldn't sack DS because we're going to appoint a totally rubbish manager next?

It dosen't really add up to me that tbh as generally very good club owners tend to appoint good managers......and if they get it wrong like say Leicester did with Claude Puel they quickly dismiss him and get in someone better.

This is a good test for them anyway. They got the Smith appointment right so think in near future we need to have some more faith in them (and Purslow) rather than just think we'll appoint someone who'll have us relegated by start of April.

Unless it's the posters who are so wedded to DS leading us to FA cup glory or something they simply refuse to think of anyone else managing us.

I don't know, just seems an odd bit of logic to me so interested hearing people's views on it.

• Like 3

On 17/10/2021 at 13:23, AntrimBlack said:

The last thing you want is your employer seeing whatever you are doing becoming a shambles.

Exactly, and sadly that is what it's started to become.

Good post by @VillaChris above and he is correct, it will be very interesting to see who comes in as a replacement for Dean Smith.

Let's see what these guys are made of when it comes to appointing the next head coach.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Mentioned it just now on the other thread but I don't quite get the disconnect emerging e.g. the owners are brilliant, amazing etc....and yet we shouldn't sack DS because we're going to appoint a totally rubbish manager next?

It dosen't really add up to me that tbh as generally very good club owners tend to appoint good managers......and if they get it wrong like say Leicester did with Claude Puel they quickly dismiss him and get in someone better.

This is a good test for them anyway. They got the Smith appointment right so think in near future we need to have some more faith in them (and Purslow) rather than just think we'll appoint someone who'll have us relegated by start of April.

Unless it's the posters who are so wedded to DS leading us to FA cup glory or something they simply refuse to think of anyone else managing us.

I don't know, just seems an odd bit of logic to me so interested hearing people's views on it.

I’d agree, almost everything that they have done behind the scenes as been spot on. They don’t covert the limelight, they’ve got Purslow for that. So if what Purslow said in the summer, that the hierarchy were a bit disappointed at how last season panned out after an excellent start, it would surely be surprising if they hadn’t at least got plans or ideas at least regarding a successor. 

As I say they aren’t flashy owners and seem to keep their cards very close to their chest. The reasonable hope is that they and Purslow have been working on this for a while. Dean’s chance to turn things around was probably the first 10 or so games of the season. I’d say the decision to release Dean has been made and the only factor left is when. That will be very much dependent on how things are progressing in finding and getting the  right man to replace him. 

I think they would  have preferred him to be doing better, obviously, and so have a more controlled changeover, most likely in the summer. Recent performances may force their hand earlier than they’d have liked. We are quite possibly on the brink of a crisis. They maybe now are regretting not making the change last summer. Ultimately they will take responsibility for that, but if someone behind the scenes influenced that decision, I’d imagine that wouldn’t  be completely forgotten. 

It’s a big test to get this right. Ignoring the disasters we’ve suffered in the past before they came in, there’s no evidence that they won’t make a good job of getting this right. Although there are no certainties in the guess the manager game. Not where we currently are anyway. 

Edited by DaveAV1
  • Like 2

This isn’t a criticism of our owners but you cannot be serious about wanting to challenge for Europe and make a profit in a summer window. You also cannot have a middle of the road manager if you are serious about wanting to compete at the top.

The owners have done incredible things for the club but I think it is time for some honesty, with themselves as much as anything.

If they want us to compete as a top club we have to be run as a top club, currently we aren’t run as a top club.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

It sounds harsh, but if they sack Smith before the international break, at least it will show ambition. To keep him on after these poor results is a little, "we don't know what to do next".

Thing is they might be wealthy and rich.but that doesn't mean they can produce a manager out of thin air - if there isn't one - there isn't one.

1 minute ago, TrentVilla said:

This isn’t a criticism of our owners but you cannot be serious about wanting to challenge for Europe and make a profit in a summer window. You also cannot have a middle of the road manager if you are serious about wanting to compete at the top.

The owners have done incredible things for the club but I think it is time for some honesty, with themselves as much as anything.

If they want us to compete as a top club we have to be run as a top club, currently we aren’t run as a top club.

Agreed. Much respect for what they have done so far. But the ambition thing shouldn't be confused with wishful thinking.

Sure  we would like and want Europe. But we aren't going hell for leather for it. It would seem like a bit of bonus if we got it.

Â