Christian Purslow

villan-scott

A natural progression or squeezed out following the Gerrard mis-step?

In fairness he was exactly what we needed - an adult in the room. He has done a great job navigating us from the Championship to Europe.

I expect we get another CEO of some standing though, NSWE wont let their investment slip. I am surprised at the timing though.

• Like 2

Just now, Wainy316 said:

Do we think anything has played out behind the scenes or he has just fulfilled his MO and natural cycle of a CEO?

i think the difference in statement when gerrard got sacked vs this statement of purslow resigning including the nice words from NWSE indicates that everything amicable IMO

• Like 1

Since Emery was hired in November, though, Purslow has not had as much control over the football decisions, with NSWE handing more of the power to Emery.

The manager and his off-field assistant Damian Vidagany have been busy plotting the way forward and will be supported by two new Spanish recruitment staff, Alberto Benito and Pablo Rodriguez, both of whom Emery has known for more than 20 years.

Villa are also keen to bring in Monchi, the Sevillasporting director, to further strengthen the support team, after missing out on Barcelona’s Mateu Alemany.

• Like 1

Does seem strange as he's so well respected and brought us influence at Premier League meetings. 

Assume another club will benefit from that as it's difficult to not see him staying in football, unless as an administrator. 

Edited by sidcow

6 minutes ago, Pez1974 said:

Careful what we wish for here.

Purslow made mistakes but he's been bloody good for this club.

I trust the owners to get the right replacement in 100% - but CEOs are here to be popular with supporters; they are here to run the company well for the desired outcomes. Big decision to be made.

Agree, loved the open way he dealt with the Grealish transfer, that's rare to get such an explanation. 

However onwards and upwards

• Like 2

Just now, pas5898 said:

Kind of inevitable.

We've hired a business manager in Heck. Director of football incoming, therefore Purslow is effectively redundant.

For me, he's done a fantastic job (except for Gerrard), however the structure is now clearly growing as we do.

This. We might not even hire a new CEO, just spread the responsibilities around. 

1 minute ago, Nigel said:

Agree, loved the open way he dealt with the Grealish transfer, that's rare to get such an explanation. 

However onwards and upwards

I liked how he deliberately called him Jack Greed-lish in the announcement video

• Haha 2

Surprised and disappointed, given the potential large north stand redevelopment project. I am getting a tad concerned on this given we got permission in December and have no concrete news since then.

Didn't get everything right but finally, we had a big hitter who made Villa look professional, after a decade of shambolic management.

Didn't he have a small ownership of Villa when NWSE bought the club? That would make his pay out quite a bit  of money.

He has played a massive role in turning us from an underachieving championship side, to a club now playing in Europe.

It is the usual case at Villa that we barely have any continuity, so I shouldn't be surprised. 

Goodbye Christian and good luck.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Delphouneso said:

So who fights our corner in PL meetings and such now? Heck? Unai? Nas?

it's concerning. purslow knows the game inside out. heck knows nowt about any of it really. maybe unai's assistant?

Â