Christian Purslow

villan-scott

It was only a couple of months ago that he had an half hour interview on Sky News about the club. I doubt any replacement will have the clout to do that.

He has largely been the face of the corporate side of the club for 5 years so it will be a big miss. I always thought he fought our corner quite well. Again, surprised about this one.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, wishywashy said:

To replace Christian Purslow, we have decided to appoint 3 CEOs, that each contribute one of the skills that Purslow brought to the club. This includes his commercial acumen, his wealth of FFP knowledge, and his footballing interventions.

Thats my biggest concern purslow knew FFP like back of his hand. I just dont understand after the clubs goung in right direction we are making such a change?

It does seem like to me his rule was reduced each year and now he probably feels he isnt much of a ceo. Can see him benefiting elsewhere. Wouldnt suprise  me if he ended up at somewhere like Brighton 

16 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Yes, Greggs article says Chris Heck replaces Purslow's off-field stuff, Emery takes over everything football and we no longer need a CEO

That's crazy if so.  You always need a CEO, and the CEO should have some experience in the footballing world.   Otherwise you end up with a Tom Fox figure.  

• Thanks 1

Thank you for everything Purslow! He’s made some mistakes (like everyone) but he knew his stuff. No matter what anyone says about him, he’s a part of the reason why we are in a good state today. I do wonder what he’ll do now, I have a feeling he’ll be apart of a committee for the FA or UEFA.

• Like 2

Agree with a lot of what's been said so to add something I haven't seen yet, I think he had excellent media handling skills and was never shy of a camera, if anything I didn't warm to him initially as I thought he liked the sound of his own voice a bit too much, but recently I've been happy to see him interviewed and see what he has to say. Very good and direct, clear speaker. I think that's a very important quality that the replacement could do with having. 

Disappointed to hear this news but not entirely surprised by it.

He lost a tremendous amount of credbility with the Gerrard situation. That was his call and he got it spectacularly wrong. The owners have given Emery control to do what he needs to in order to work his mahic and in doing that Purslows control has been diluted.

Until the Gerrard thing you can't argue that he wasn't a massive asset to the club and played a key role in getting us back on our feet.

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Id rathwe have purslow who is super expert inbthe role as opposed to heck who haa experience in sports but not here. Remember tom fox? Spoke a good game but a big bag of puff. Lets hope they know what they are doing as i think purslow was good for this club

Yep. Tom Fox was a literal joke of a CEO. 

We were a proper Mickey Mouse operation then. 

We've never been so professional as now. Looking at our Ninja style transfer dealings. 

With Purslow I expect he's got a 6 month notice period.  Keys see if he pops u somewhere in 6 months then we'll know he handed his notice 

If he's pops up somewhere quickly he's more likely sacked unless The Board release him from his gardening period early. 

Just re: folk talking about his replacement - Evans says there isn't one and that he's left because there isn't a need for a CEO in the structure Villa are going for now.  Chris Heck is going to oversee all of the off-field stuff from revenue streams to "globalising the brand", while NSWE and Emery's team - which they're keen to add Monchi to - are on top of footballing matters.

• Thanks 1

Emery has done an amazing job so far but I am always hesitant to place everything on the head coach's shoulders, like we did with MON. If in a couple of years time he gets poached by one of the big clubs then our entire structure would be in trouble.  You should always be ready for regime change in football, even when everything is going swimmingly. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ender4 said:

That's crazy if so.  You always need a CEO, and the CEO should have some experience in the footballing world.   Otherwise you end up with a Tom Fox figure.  

Depends whether Nassef is going to step up his involvement in the club or not.

Or how much power Monchi gets

It would be a very unusual move if we didn’t replace him. I get the “structure” argument but is that not the the literal house of cards, if we lose (for example) Emery does the whole structure not fall apart. 

I’d find this a bit worrying from a legacy planning point of view! 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

He lost a tremendous amount of credbility with the Gerrard situation. That was his call and he got it spectacularly wrong. The owners have given Emery control to do what he needs to in order to work his mahic and in doing that Purslows control has been diluted.

Until the Gerrard thing you can't argue that he wasn't a massive asset to the club and played a key role in getting us back on our feet.

I think we can rule out Gerrard. That was 8 months ago now. 

I'm sure if that had anything to do with it they would have got rid of him ages ago. 

1 minute ago, Indigo said:

Just re: folk talking about his replacement - Evans says there isn't one and that he's left because there isn't a need for a CEO in the structure Villa are going for now.  Chris Heck is going to oversee all of the off-field stuff from revenue streams to "globalising the brand", while NSWE and Emery's team - which they're keen to add Monchi to - are on top of footballing matters.

For replacements, I personally wasn't talking of a direct new hire replacement for him. I was thinking more that someone will now have to step up within the club, if we're not hiring, and that person has big shoes to fill in terms of facing the media and addressing fans. 

Â