Christian Purslow

villan-scott

2 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Possibly the worst news we could have at this point. Definitely weaker now for sure. We don’t know the circumstances around this, but he was the person that knows more about the day to day running of an English football club more than anyone that we have at the club currently. 
Sure hope this isn’t the start of a downfall. 

Back with another dose of inspiration for the forum. Love it. 

• Like 1

He's the best CEO we've had in my lifetime of being a Villa fan, it was nice to have a well run club for once that knew exactly what they were doing. 

I'm fully behind Emery, and we should back him 100% as a club, but I do worry a little about what happens if/when he does leave. We're kind of throwing all our eggs into one basket. 

We've just got to hope that he is our Fergie/Wenger and he stays here for the next 5-10 years at least. He'll certainly never get this sort of backing again from any other club or their fans. It must be a dream job for him. 

• Like 3

Restructuring happens. Christian helped get us here and was a savvy businessman with much experience. Lots of positives happened off the pitch. We don’t know the inner workings so stop acting like he was some benevolent force. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

Gerrard really was quite a crippling mistake though - the decision that could have led to relegation with so much money spent - pretty sure that's an irrecoverable call for a CEO. 

I can't do this again. So please don't engage with me, but...

... as CEO he also appointed Emery. Who got us into Europe. Surely he's therefore recovered.

@sidcow, if this heats up, I'm tagging you in.

• Haha 1

It was always going to happen as soon as Emery was appointed. These things don't happen overnight and the club has been actively seeking a replacement since that point.

How on earth could the relationship between Purslow and the club be expected to continue long term, with a giant, Gerrard shaped elephant in the room.

Gerrard's appointment was the one managerial failure of Wes' And Nas' time as Villa owners and that falls on one man, and he has now left the club.

These are exciting times ahead for the club and it just goes to show that if you f*** up, you are toast. (Although other reasons behind the scenes no doubt contributed to the end result)

Just now, Don_Simon said:

... as CEO he also appointed Emery. Who got us into Europe. Surely he's therefore recovered.

Maybe he did, maybe he didn't.  We just don't know how mucbh influence Purslow or Nas had in the sacking of Gerrard and the hiring of Emery.  

We do know that Purslow wasn't photographed with Emery but Nas was.  Did that mean something? Weird not to have our CEO introducing our new manager?

• Like 1

I think he’s done a good job on the whole. Mistakes may have been made along the way but he has overseen a period of growth and stability and he should be proud of his work. I hope that we have someone come in that has his knowledge of FFP and can oversee all the projects ongoing with the Council etc. 

As much as I love Emery, I think we should be wary of handing over full control to ‘his people’ (by that I mean his choices not the Spanish 😁). 

• Like 3

There is no way Monchi is capable of replacing Purslow for a role of this magnitude, Purslow understands the English game and all the ingredients to sustain at the highest level bar the Gerrard appointment

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

I can't do this again. So please don't engage with me, but...

@sidcow, if this heats up, I'm tagging you in.

Pretty sure that was Nas’ palace he and Nas were photographed shaking hands on the deal. 
sorry just seen you said don’t engage! Lol

Edited by Jareth

Just now, Tayls said:

Ahh come on @Awol you’re better than that! We’ve both been around here a long time. 

Yes, but as things got better I cheered up. What’s your excuse?! 

The owners are restructuring the business, something they have vast experience of doing. Even if we end up with a structure that no other club has, it wouldn’t worry me a bit. 

It seems that they don’t tolerate failure from their employees when it comes to strategic decision making. It’s brutal, but also why they are serial winners. Just enjoy the ride, we are in very very good hands. 

There seems to be an awful lot of extra work placed on Emery with this. 

“Villa are moving in a new direction with head coach Unai Emery and his team of close assistants taking charge of football matters alongside the owners Nassef Sawiris and Wes Edens (NSWE)”

He’s earned the right to have a much bigger say, but he’s a workaholic anyway. And football is a fragile sport, what about when/if Emery leaves? It leaves a whole vacuum. It’s risky imo. 

And this Heck bloke might be a genius in Marketing, but I’m sure I’ve read him saying that he knows next to nothing about football. Who is doing the day to day stuff? Purslow had a lot of respect and pull in the PL. 

I don’t like it.

Way too hands on for a CEO and Nassef seemingly got tired of his crap appointments.

Purslow has a need to be at the center of attention and Nassef and Unai will now get their own people in. Happy days.

Purslow was way too involved on the footballing side of things. I always found it a little bit odd.

Liverpool went on to win the CL and the league post Purslow :D 

2 minutes ago, av1 said:

There seems to be an awful lot of extra work placed on Emery with this. 

“Villa are moving in a new direction with head coach Unai Emery and his team of close assistants taking charge of football matters alongside the owners Nassef Sawiris and Wes Edens (NSWE)”

Very similar to how Fergie and David Gill operated. Every single thing football-wise was Fergie's domain, whilst Gill's role was to deal with commercial etc.

Â