Christian Purslow

villan-scott

On 11/03/2022 at 14:51, TRO said:

I am not as sure as you, that making restrictions improves the best league in the world.....we have arrived where we have by encouraging freedoms to flourish...and its not by chance that we have teams regularly occupying the final stages of the Champions League competition.

I am however, unconvinced by the fairness of questionable sources of finance that are at the forefront of certain clubs successes.

We are ourselves, might be in a position in years to come where we dominate and are in the the elite clubs positions, we have to be careful of double standards.

Benches should in theory allow the introduction of Academy players, so I would want to restrict that.

I am not a great lover of restriction, it smacks of holding things back and I am all for progress.

I believe as the teams get better, we get better and this league now is better than it was 10 years ago.

I do understand notion of having a more varied group occupying the higher echelons of the league, and I welcome that, but that is also challenged by the theory, "the survival of the fittest" ....we have to retain the desire to improve and strive, otherwise complacency becomes the rule.

I am not understating the role that Money plays in the success that the Elite teams rely on, but I am equally convinced that good management is equally as important....as we seen with Nottingham Forest under Brian Clough.....and Liverpool are not run by a state, just good management.

Restrictions to me smacks of control, and control can sometimes mean over control.....I believe there is much more to be gained from Freedom to compete and that for me is a much healthier model.

Me and some guys from the pub were talking about a handicap system, win the league start next on -20, 2nd -15, 3rd -10, 4th -5. i cant remember the specifics but it would have lead to some amazing seasons where 6 teams or more could still have won it on the last day.

• Like 1

You only need to hear him talk for a few minutes to know he's a serious operator who knows what he's about. 

He's also someone the press seek out for comment when something big has gone down at The PL. Can you imagine the press following Tom Fox or Paul Faulkner down the street looking for comment? 

I know ultimately it's not important but it shows the higher profile of our club and that we now have someone running the club who the press feel is at the centre of what's going on,  not on the periphery. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Purslow wanted Gerrard clearly because of their own personal relationship. That reeks of personal bias ahead of objectivity.

Is this guy going to be held to account if he insists on backing Gerrard in the next window and he continues to play his Christmas tree disaster til he's sacked? It's a huge gamble.

Worry for this club.

• Like 1

i dunno

no doubt his personal relationship helped but he's best young English manager there is, I'm still yet to be convinced otherwise, if Purslow decided the remit was English and under 50 then its him or potter and I'm not sold on potter (not that I'm overly sold on Gerrard either...)

its hard to say because we dont know who else, if anyone, was interviewed for it

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

Purslow wanted Gerrard clearly because of their own personal relationship. That reeks of personal bias ahead of objectivity.

Is this guy going to be held to account if he insists on backing Gerrard in the next window and he continues to play his Christmas tree disaster til he's sacked? It's a huge gamble.

Worry for this club.

Indeed - I can't see Purslow or even NSWE sticking around for long if project Gerrard goes as bad as I fear it will.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, hippo said:

Indeed - I can't see Purslow or even NSWE sticking around for long if project Gerrard goes as bad as I fear it will.

It’s almost like you want them to fail to vindicate your position. What do you base the above on ? What evidence has there been they will walk away ? 

2 minutes ago, thabucks said:

It’s almost like you want them to fail to vindicate your position. What do you base the above on ? What evidence has there been they will walk away ? 

None.

They have spent a staggering amount of money - and look set to whack a load more on Gerrard - presumably under the guidance of Purslow. You can almost hear the conversation

"So that bloke we gave £250m too - didn't really know what he was doing - and the players he purchased aren't worth any where near what we paid for them"

"Yes but this new head coach i have my eye on is the real deal - £150m and wed be flying"

"Tell what Christain - I will get back to you on that !!!" 

All IMO of course.

1 hour ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

Worry for this club.

The problem is that personal relationships do matter, so it's not as simple as just saying "bias".

Arsenal's most successful period happened when David Dein and Arsene Wenger formed a partnership at the top of the club. They were very close to each other, and Dein was heavily involved in signing players.

If Purslow can do something similar here, then great. My worries, though, are whether Purslow and Gerrard collectively have a long-term footballing vision for Villa. Where is this club going?

• Like 1

I'm not writing off all the good Purslow has done during our time here (Immediate promotion, BMH upgrades, youth/academy overhaul, VP expansion plans, openness with the fans, etc.), but Gerrard's appointment is a disastrous one.  You've seen him be a bit ruthless with appointments in the past (Suso, Smith, etc.) and I hope he's man enough to know when he's made a mistake and pull the plug on Gerrard as soon as possible.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, KMitch said:

I'm not writing off all the good Purslow has done during our time here (Immediate promotion, BMH upgrades, youth/academy overhaul, VP expansion plans, openness with the fans, etc.), but Gerrard's appointment is a disastrous one.  You've seen him be a bit ruthless with appointments in the past (Suso, Smith, etc.) and I hope he's man enough to know when he's made a mistake and pull the plug on Gerrard as soon as possible.  

If he did that, he'd be pulling the plug on himself. He's going to give Gerrard a war chest and hope for the best. If we are floundering in 16th place in January 2023 after another big spend, maybe Gerrard will.be on the chopping block. But until then, he's not going anywhere. 

Edited by maqroll

I would be surprised if Purslow us going to hand the manager a bigger say in player recruitment over Lange. It would be like going to Vegas and putting all your money on black on your first night there.

He doesn't strike me as that sort of gambler

Â