Christian Purslow

villan-scott

38 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I don't think we've wasted that much money tbf - the squad's really strong and a decent manager would be getting a tune out of these players. 

I think the squad is decent. It’s better than it’s currently showing. 

It’s a mostly midtable squad, with a sprinkling of talent who could go further. I agree wholeheartedly that the outlay has not been a waste, a lot of it has utilised in establishing us as a top flight outfit again, from a basis of two premier league quality players (Grealish & McGinn). I think a lot of the squad could be sold at a profit. To me that’s not a waste.

Back on Purslow, even if Gerrard turns out to be the wrong guy and decisions are made in the summer, Purslow is still in the plus column for me. Although the appointment would have been the first major misstep for me and probably wouldn’t be allowed to make another one too soon.

Hopefully that remains completely hypothetical. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Incorrect. The squad is dreadful. 

The squads not dreadful, it's stronger than last season's and we finished 11th. 

Purslow has followed his ego and sacked Smith to appoint his man and it was a massive gamble that looks like it's maybe a mistake.

If we still continue to have no shots on goal then how long do we persist, even his signings look hopeless and that includes a Brazilian international. 

1 minute ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I think the squad is decent. It’s better than it’s currently showing. 

It’s a mostly midtable squad, with a sprinkling of talent who could go further. I agree wholeheartedly that the outlay has not been a waste, a lot of it has utilised in establishing us as a top flight outfit again, from a basis of two premier league quality players (Grealish & McGinn). I think a lot of the squad could be sold at a profit. To me that’s not a waste.

Back on Purslow, even if Gerrard turns out to be the wrong guy and decisions are made in the summer, Purslow is still in the plus column for me. Although the appointment would have been the first major misstep for me and probably wouldn’t be allowed to make another one too soon.

Hopefully that remains completely hypothetical. 

The results suggest otherwise. We are within one more bad result of an actual relegation battle. So I ask which of these players are actually good.

Just now, Pissflaps said:

The results suggest otherwise. We are within one more bad result of an actual relegation battle. So I ask which of these players are actually good.

I think a lot of them are “decent”. Midtable(ish) I’m not going to list them, I think most of them fall into that category.

I’m saying we haven’t wasted £350m or whatever it is, that some are of the opinion we have.

2 hours ago, Pissflaps said:

We have 27 points. In other teams with 27 points or less there are players like Maddison, Ndidi, Vardy, Barnes, Gallagher, Olise, Toney, Phillips, Raphinha, Richarlison. They are good and we have a couple as well.

5 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Always been said he had a fetish for big names and a bit sycophantic at Liverpool. Starting to bite him in the arse 

If you say he loves Gerrard then people insult you. Obviously Purslow hired him because he is in love with Gerrard. An overrated but good footballer but might get him a job back at Liverpool 

The squad has plenty of good talent in it, but it’s unbalanced. We have too many of certain players profiles (CM) and not enough of others (DM, pacy winger, arguably full back with Targett and Guilbert out on loan).

I think this is what has caused problems for both Smith and Gerrard.

However, whereas Smith tried to find a shape to match the available talent, Gerrard seems to be shoehorning players into a system that is very dependent on quality at DM and full back.

What I’m not really sure about is how much Purslow is to blame for this. He has talked a good game on long-term thinking since he joined, and we have mostly improved year on year with a fairly young squad. I thought the Ings signing was odd, and possibly a vanity buy, but it wasn’t a completely insane idea… most of our other business has been okay.

It’s more the bigger picture that worries me than the individual transfers. We all know we missed out on Kalvin Phillips and JWP, so why have we now gone several windows without buying that profile of player? Is that on Purslow for not releasing enough budget or is it bad scouting or is it bad luck in the transfer market or is it managers being complacent? Probably a mix of all of this.

This next summer window will be a big test of Purslow’s approach. We should always be willing to forgive a dodgy January window, because it’s so hard to find good players in Jan, but if we go into next season with Nakamba as the only natural ball winning midfielder in the squad, and Ashley Not-So-Young as our main cover at full back, then we only have ourselves to blame.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Always been said he had a fetish for big names and a bit sycophantic at Liverpool. Starting to bite him in the arse 

Sycophantic is the perfect word to describe this oily brown nosing car salesman. He has future FIFA president written all over him. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

FWIW our squad is definitely top 10, anybody saying otherwise has been confused by the Gerrard media mafia.  

People have made their mind up.

There will be no further consideration of evidence sadly.

I hope we improve.

Our squad is very middle of the road for this division. With a bit of luck, we might be good enough to finish 9th, but with a bit of bad luck and playing a system that doesn’t work, it’s easily bad enough to finish 15th/16th. The latter is what is happening right now.

People talking about Gerrard needing a pre-season and a Summer window (myself included) probably need to realise that if we lose our next few matches, he might not be here long enough to see that. We all want this season to finish and the next to start with a few extra players but right now, we need to focus on actually avoiding relegation because we will slip into the fight if we can’t pick up points from somewhere. It’s absolutely a concern that we might go down. Where is the next win coming from? 

I may be in the minority but at 0-0 yesterday, I was acutely aware that they’d try and hit us on the break and snatch the win and was happy with a point and even happier that they wouldn’t get three…

Make no mistake, if Newcastle, Watford and Burnley win their next game and we lose, we’re right in this battle. We don’t have enough points on the board (yet).

4 hours ago, Spoony said:

Sycophantic is the perfect word to describe this oily brown nosing car salesman. He has future FIFA president written all over him. 

Nah, he wasn’t born in Switzerland

This is only purslows 2nd appointment.  Even if this goes wrong you can't sack someone on one bad appointment guys. Yes they should be held accountable and learn from their mistakes. But not sacked unless it becomes a ongoing problem.

I don't want anymore British coaches or young up and coming managers. I want a proven manager in Europe.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NoelVilla said:

He did what he thought was a talent recruitment thinking it would work. Not writing off Gerrard completely yet but as I see it and in our position you always go with proven competence and experience.

Yep. Not many villa managers learn on the job.

• Like 1

Â