Christian Purslow

villan-scott

On 16/01/2022 at 00:10, nick76 said:

Put this in the transfer thread as well

He really is the kind of person you would want on your side of the table and not in front of you, he has that polite yet intimidating and creepy way of speaking. Would do well in a role as Gordon Gekko in Wall Street 3!

And yes he seems to make a tremendous job for us!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

He really is the kind of person you would want on your side of the table and not in front of you, he has that polite yet intimidating and creepy way of speaking. Would do well in a role as Gordon Gekko in Wall Street 3!

And yes he seems to make a tremendous job for us!

Yeah, everytime I see him talk "steely" is what comes to mind. Would be a tough demanding man to deal with I think. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Nope. Not how it works. Otherwise Levy would have resigned 18 years ago. 

Exactly this, purslows job is to stabilise us in the middle of the PL, set up the infrastructure and increase our revenue 

He's doing all of those 

This bad results stuff and sack everyone doesnt put in to context what we are because I don't think fans want to accept it but we are a poor / inconsistent mid table team in a tough league doing a lot of stuff that everyone else is also doing, it's not as easy as the owners have money and ambition why aren't we 6th yet 

Hopefully the owners have more patience 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Exactly this, purslows job is to stabilise us in the middle of the PL, set up the infrastructure and increase our revenue 

He's doing all of those 

This bad results stuff and sack everyone doesnt put in to context what we are because I don't think fans want to accept it but we are a poor / inconsistent mid table team in a tough league doing a lot of stuff that everyone else is also doing, it's not as easy as the owners have money and ambition why aren't we 6th yet 

Hopefully the owners have more patience 

Agree. But he has gone out on a limb for Stevie G - In the last days of DS - not many villa fans were calling for Stevie G - Not many pundits were predicting SG to villa.

Hes on an absolutely insane salary at villa. Weve paid big wages and potentially a big fee for Coutinho - If more heavy investment continues in the summer - without an uptick in results surely those above will question his decision making   

You might not agree with sacking Smith; his apparent love of Gerrard; his interference in transfers; his liking of his own voice, but he has completely steered this club around and introduced a level of professionalism and competence at every level. No financial issues (FFP or otherwise), no PR dramas (despite e.g. Grealish court case appearance), no manager spats, no player dramas, we have first class facilities, well run academy and Womens team, slickly managed no nonsense transfers, very good squad planning. Every facet of our business is excellent, it gives everyone else a solid platform to succeed. 

He is one of our very best assets, and I do think he would sack Gerrard if it was needed.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, hippo said:

Would surely have to consider his position if poor results continue into next season ?

If Gerrard fails, Purslow would have to leave. He really stuck his neck out when SG was appointed and it looks like he will keep backing him financially too. Make or break for Purslow.

Next question is what the owners would do if Purslow left, but I prefer not to think about that just yet.

7 minutes ago, thunderball said:

You might not agree with sacking Smith; his apparent love of Gerrard; his interference in transfers; his liking of his own voice, but he has completely steered this club around and introduced a level of professionalism and competence at every level. No financial issues (FFP or otherwise), no PR dramas (despite e.g. Grealish court case appearance), no manager spats, no player dramas, we have first class facilities, well run academy and Womens team, slickly managed no nonsense transfers, very good squad planning. Every facet of our business is excellent, it gives everyone else a solid platform to succeed. 

He is one of our very best assets, and I do think he would sack Gerrard if it was needed.

He is good at his job. When he goes to other areas of the business he is a disaster for me 

Its clear he didnr back Smith and wanted Gerrard 

Edited by Zatman

18 minutes ago, thunderball said:

I don't see the transfers being good , they are hit and miss with more misses than hits especially in the last 12 months. We have injured wingers we are not going to use and a striker who's ageing and not getting games. We have  £20m players who aren't going to play and have no resale value.

He's picked an inexperienced manager in Gerrard and replaced Smith who was experienced but had suffered 5 bad games after losing his star player when a buy out clause was inserted into a contract that was negotiated by Purslow. 

He's backed Gerrard to succeed based on little evidence other than his playing career and a brief stint in Scotland managing one of two teams. Brendan Rodgers was far more successful and he was signed by Leicester. 

Gerrard may succeed but it was a big gamble with our future, fingers crossed Purslow is right. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, thunderball said:

'will, when needed', last person to leave here by choice was O'Neill. Before him Gregory

16 hours ago, tinker said:

I don't see the transfers being good , they are hit and miss with more misses than hits especially in the last 12 months. We have injured wingers we are not going to use and a striker who's ageing and not getting games. We have  £20m players who aren't going to play and have no resale value.

He's picked an inexperienced manager in Gerrard and replaced Smith who was experienced but had suffered 5 bad games after losing his star player when a buy out clause was inserted into a contract that was negotiated by Purslow. 

He's backed Gerrard to succeed based on little evidence other than his playing career and a brief stint in Scotland managing one of two teams. Brendan Rodgers was far more successful and he was signed by Leicester. 

Gerrard may succeed but it was a big gamble with our future, fingers crossed Purslow is right. 

Five bad games against top half opposition in each, four of which still very much in the conversation for European placing. 

17 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

If Gerrard fails, Purslow would have to leave. He really stuck his neck out when SG was appointed and it looks like he will keep backing him financially too. Make or break for Purslow.

Next question is what the owners would do if Purslow left, but I prefer not to think about that just yet.

Depends on your definition of failure. If our commercial revenue jumps up and he sorts out the stadium redevelopment then I doubt if we end up being a mediocre mid table side  would  get him sacked.

Edited by The Fun Factory

Â