Christian Purslow

villan-scott

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

that has to be a change in direction since we interviewed him

i struggle to believe that when we spoke to gerrard about his vision for the team he said i want to replace 8 of the starting 11 with experienced pros and not play the kids 

also add to that id have to guess that us voting for the 5 subs is on the belief that we will integrate the kids and it gives us a better opportunity to do so

Would agree.

Although SG had no track with giving youth players time - even at Rangers.

16 minutes ago, hippo said:

Gerrard was an unnecessary and risky appointment 

Whilst nothing can be certain there are enough warning signs not to continue down this path 

The manager has stated he wants to buy players close to their peak.

He doesn't appear willing to give starts to our youth prospects.

The last 2 points are a change in direction since Purslow and NSWE arrived.

Sure managerial apts go wrong - but this never looked right from the start. Ploughing on with it would represent a massive risk from Purslow - one he will have to face the music for.

But we know there is no way Purslow will sack Gerrard any time soon even if the next 7 games are a disaster.

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

But we know there is no way Purslow will sack Gerrard any time soon even if the next 7 games are a disaster.

I think Purslow would be under serious pressure to sack Gerrard, if for example he lost the next 7 games.  It would be hard to defend his man in that scenario, unlikely as it is.

Should have got a manager in that can compliment the squad and knows how to use what we have and improve it. Seems Gerrard's answer is 7-8 new players and to pretty much sell all the decent players we signed last season, setting us back at least 2 years this will.

I'm sure I read an interview with Purslow a while ago about why we now have him, Lange, and a head coach (not a manager), so that if one does move on you get someone else that fits in with the philosophy and the style of football doesn't change too much, looks like that's out the window now. 

The whole "This is Smiths squad" etc shouldn't be a debate. Conte is working with what Spurs have and will add to it, Tuchel is doing the same.

• Like 1

On 10/04/2022 at 08:38, VillaParkAvenue said:

The way Purslow could get sacked imo is if he hangs on to a failing manager for too long and lets him spend stupidly.

CEO's don't get sacked like that, especially ones that are minority shareholders as well. 

Look at Levy or Woodward, etc and when they've had multiple bad years.   CEO timescales are measured in tens of years, not like managers where the average is under 2 years.

Even if Villa go backwards on the pitch for a couple of years, you don't sack a CEO based on that.  That would be the CEO sacking managers, recruitment teams, etc. 

CEO's only leave if they are failing on the overall objectives of the club over the long-term. 

Edited by ender4
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, ender4 said:

CEO's don't get sacked like that, especially ones that are minority shareholders as well. 

Look at Levy or Woodward, etc and when they've had multiple bad years.   CEO timescales are measured in tens of years, not like managers where the average is under 2 years.

Even if Villa go backwards on the pitch for a couple of years, you don't sack a CEO based on that.  That would be the CEO sacking managers, recruitment teams, etc. 

CEO's only leave if they are failing on the overall objectives of the club over the long-term. 

Basically agree. In Villa’s case, Purslow’s problem would be if the two main owners lost faith in the project and wanted out. I don’t think NSWE have the intention of hiring and firing ceo:s.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ender4 said:

Especially seeing as off the pitch we will continue to move forward, we are continuing to grow so in at least some ways purslow is successfully doing his job 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Now this is open, let me start by stating that I'm concerned about how deep his voice is getting. If it gets any deeper it might move out of the audible range of human hearing.

His T1000 firmware received a voice gravitas upgrade.

Football is as much business success as football success nowadays. Look at United, terrible on the pitch for years yet are able to attract and afford top talent worldwide. Ten Haag will have been offered a wagon of cash to get them going again and despite not making the CL again they can afford it because of the business they do. 

I think this is all very positive, the north stand has needed attention for years and if all three phases can be done in 2 years that seems reasonable. 

I like him. A very switched on individual with a ruthless streak. No doubt holds his own when attending Premier League meetings etc. 

I can’t imagine NSWE would put up with someone running the club day to day if he wasn’t very good at it. Think we should appreciate him a bit more. 

Edited by ferguson1
  • Like 3

Â