Christian Purslow

villan-scott

3 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

He seems very switched on, controlled, composed and I cannot think of anyone I'd rather have in his position. We appear to be a by the book club too, our aim to take on already established clubs that bend the rules and are getting away with it , is a tough one. If the game was not corrupt, our chances under his stewardship would be greater.

Agree, Dem is right too, this is a nice timely reminder to our sack the tea lady lot that this guy knows exactly what he's doing, the belief that we have great ambitious owners who want to go places extends to purslow imo he should be held in similar regard and he's absolutely key to us doing anything moving forward 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Agree, Dem is right too, this is a nice timely reminder to our sack the tea lady lot that this guy knows exactly what he's doing, the belief that we have great ambitious owners who want to go places extends to purslow imo he should be held in similar regard and he's absolutely key to us doing anything moving forward 

I agree but I think even the biggest Purslow fan would have to slightly concede that the Gerrard appointment was potentially outside the norm in that they have taken a huge risk when maybe they didn’t have to on one of the key decisions they have to make ie the manager.  It’s all well and good having the facilities, a great youth system and all the rest but on the pitch is the key component of the club and thus the manager is vital.  Hiring a rookie manager is a huge risk, let’s hope they have got it right.

• Like 1

Gents, this is pretty straightforward; this is the Christian Purslow thread - before posting, please read through your post - if it's about Steven Gerrard, it's in the wrong thread, delete it - if it's about Christian Purslow, it belongs here.

If it has one line about Purslow and four paragraphs on Gerrard, again, that's the wrong place. 

Thank you.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

I think he and NSWE were exactly what we needed after Ellis. I know we all get caught up with our poor form and such, but if we look objectively at how far we have come in these last 3 & bit years - it deserves a lot of respect. We have a squad littered with international footballers from the likes of France, England, Brazil and Argentina. Our academy has improved and got the right attention after years of disinterest, which resulted in a Youth FA Cup win. We look to have some immediate young stars in the making. We got a British record fee for one of our players, which was bittersweet but is the desired outcome if one of our better players is to be sold. Further enhancement of Bodymoor Heath training ground. Now we have an ambitious redevelopment of Villa Park in the making too, which will benefit the local community, Birmingham and the country as a whole. Very exciting.

I know Purslow isn't solely responsible for all of our successes, but he has been the visible and dependable figurehead of our transformation under NSWE. It is clear that Purslow has a burning passion for the club, ready to defend our interests and has developed a clear road map for us - to become one of the leading clubs in the country again. I am very hopeful that bigger & better days are coming. Thank you Christian. 

Well said. Imagine where we would be if they bought it from Ellis as you say and we bypassed the Lerner and Xia. We have basically given the rest a 10 year head start, gutted as this period is when the game exploded financially. It's catch up for us and it's bloody annoying, were on our way now though.

• Like 2

On 04/04/2022 at 13:00, gilbertoAVFC said:

Purslow wanted Gerrard clearly because of their own personal relationship. That reeks of personal bias ahead of objectivity.

Is this guy going to be held to account if he insists on backing Gerrard in the next window and he continues to play his Christmas tree disaster til he's sacked? It's a huge gamble.

Worry for this club.

I think many signings both managers and players are down to what the employer knows about the recipient......so I think you are reading in to something, that might not be there.

I don't think, CP would risk his job, for a fanciful personal relationship....its more like he knows the depth of the man, and willing to back his judgment.

CP will have been only too aware of the consequences, if he gets it wrong.....at least give him some credit, for that.....risk management, I would guess, he is well versed in.

There are cases of top managers, not working out at other clubs, so lets no get too precious, about that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Phil Silvers said:

Well said. Imagine where we would be if they bought it from Ellis as you say and we bypassed the Lerner and Xia. We have basically given the rest a 10 year head start, gutted as this period is when the game exploded financially. It's catch up for us and it's bloody annoying, were on our way now though.

Yes. Missed opportunity. Crazy to think Leicester and Southampton were League 1 clubs in financial hardship - when we were in the top 6 and Europe through the mid noughties. Then they overtook us, along with many other clubs. Simply because Lerner failed to build the club alongside our on-field progress/stability. Lerner started cutting when the TV deals were starting to increase 🤣 

Don't get me wrong, we are far from perfect but we have done well over the last three years - there is a lot to celebrate and to look forward to. The next part (trying to break the monopoly) is the hardest.

• Like 3

Last post got deleted, but I'll say again that he's the best ceo we've had in my memory.  He will not be perfect and will make mistakes, and that may potentially include appointing an up and coming English manager with a promising start to his career, who then didn't succeed here. It may not.

For now it definitely doesn't. That doesn't necessarily mean he should be sacked if it does, and certainly not while he's doing so well in other areas. 

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 1

I don't think that Purslow will be relieved of his duties so long as the club keeps growing off the pitch. Obviously a degree of success on the pitch will help the club grow financially, but I don't think that Nas and Wes will be cutting him loose should the Gerrard appointment fail.

One managerial appointment won’t  define a CEO. Purslow is key to our continued growth and  long term success and I’m worried about him being poached by Chelsea perhaps in the summer to replace Marina Granovskaia If she was to leave. 

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, thabucks said:

One managerial appointment won’t  define a CEO. Purslow is key to our continued growth and  long term success and I’m worried about him being poached by Chelsea perhaps in the summer to replace Marina Granovskaia. 

Pretty sure most of the potential Chelsea owners want to keep her onboard. If they took him then I would have no problem with us appointing her 

Edited by Zatman

14 minutes ago, thabucks said:

One managerial appointment won’t  define a CEO. Purslow is key to our continued growth and  long term success and I’m worried about him being poached by Chelsea perhaps in the summer to replace Marina Granovskaia If she was to leave. 

I doubt he'd be able to move there while being a minority owner of ours and I wonder how doable it would have been for NSWE to place sale restrictions on his share so they could drag the process out indefinitely.

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

Isn't Purslow also a minority stakeholder in the club mate?

Although I'm not sure how much value this holds, or if it's a regular thing for CEOs to have stakes in clubs?

I reckon this means he is more invested in our project, than moving anywhere else.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Isn't Purslow also a minority stakeholder in the club mate?

Although I'm not sure how much value this holds, or if it's a regular thing for CEOs to have stakes in clubs?

I reckon this means he is more invested in our project, than moving anywhere else.

I read somewhere that when Nas and Wes asked Purslow to be ceo, he wanted to become part owner as well. Not sure how much CP owns but his share is probably relatively small.

Him being part owner does change things though, if NSWE would want to get rid of him they’d have to buy him out too.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

I read somewhere that when Nas and Wes asked Purslow to be ceo, he wanted to become part owner as well. Not sure how much CP owns but his share is probably relatively small.

Him being part owner does change things though, if NSWE would want to get rid of him they’d have to buy him out too.

Nas walks round with enough change in his pocket to buy the blose, no probs buying CP out.

5 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

I think I read 10%  from somewhere.

Â