Christian Purslow

villan-scott

On 20/02/2022 at 11:26, NoelVilla said:

He did what he thought was a talent recruitment thinking it would work. Not writing off Gerrard completely yet but as I see it and in our position you always go with proven competence and experience.

Perhaps he thinks just paying someone like they're a top class manager will mean that they must become one? 

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Anyone changed their mind about Purslow again and think the gamble on Gerrard and his coaching team might have been a smart one?

If it was a gamble, it's not smart by definition.

Let's hope it was more of a informed decision not a gamble.

Jury on Gerrard is still out, he needs to prove himself next season when it matters. Rest of this season is just a preparation.

• Shocked 1

30 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Hiring any manager is always a gamble, otherwise nobody would ever get sacked.

Sure, I'm just hoping it was an informed decision, not based on Purslows emotional attachment to Gerrard from the times he knew him as a player at Liverpool.

Jury on Gerrard is still out, and Purslow will live or die on this decision as he supports Gerrard with significant funds in transfer windows.

• Shocked 1

On 10/12/2021 at 11:45, OutByEaster? said:

There are sporting things that need to be done to address the balance of the spread of finance in the league. For me, the problem isn't necessarily that the top four clubs get so much more than the others, or that the Premier league clubs get so much more than those in the Championship; the problem is that the top four clubs are always the same clubs, that there's not enough change in where all of that money goes.

We can do that by limiting squad sizes, by limiting the number of players allowed on the bench, by limiting the number of substitutions and so on - essentially by making it harder for teams to compete across every tournament at the same time, by evening out the playing field so that when Man Utd have four players injured it hurts them in the same way as it hurts Norwich, or Forest, or Luton Town.

Restrict benches to five or six players, restrict squads to twenty players over the age of twenty one, and limit the number of players any club can have out on loan to six or eight and you stop the big teams stockpiling players, you reintroduce that random element where even a giant side sometimes has too play a midfielder at right back, it you can make the game more even, then the spread of money becomes less important because it becomes harder to keep those positions.

I'd like to see us in a place where a team that wins the league and qualifies for the Champions league should find it much harder to retain the title the next setons because of the additional workload of the Champions league. I would love to see a Premier league where in one year, the four teams that qualify for the Champions league are completely different to the four teams that qualified the previous year - that for me is the best way of moving that money around.

I am not as sure as you, that making restrictions improves the best league in the world.....we have arrived where we have by encouraging freedoms to flourish...and its not by chance that we have teams regularly occupying the final stages of the Champions League competition.

I am however, unconvinced by the fairness of questionable sources of finance that are at the forefront of certain clubs successes.

We are ourselves, might be in a position in years to come where we dominate and are in the the elite clubs positions, we have to be careful of double standards.

Benches should in theory allow the introduction of Academy players, so I would want to restrict that.

I am not a great lover of restriction, it smacks of holding things back and I am all for progress.

I believe as the teams get better, we get better and this league now is better than it was 10 years ago.

I do understand notion of having a more varied group occupying the higher echelons of the league, and I welcome that, but that is also challenged by the theory, "the survival of the fittest" ....we have to retain the desire to improve and strive, otherwise complacency becomes the rule.

I am not understating the role that Money plays in the success that the Elite teams rely on, but I am equally convinced that good management is equally as important....as we seen with Nottingham Forest under Brian Clough.....and Liverpool are not run by a state, just good management.

Restrictions to me smacks of control, and control can sometimes mean over control.....I believe there is much more to be gained from Freedom to compete and that for me is a much healthier model.

10 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

Anyone changed their mind about Purslow again and think the gamble on Gerrard and his coaching team might have been a smart one?

Its not about this season. Its not about next . I will judge him the season after that . Too little time until then to let him prove himself to me . And he needs to change his interviews. Saying listen before answering a question is a disgrace. Buck up your ideas Stephen Gerard 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Its not about this season. Its not about next . I will judge him the season after that . Too little time until then to let him prove himself to me . And he needs to change his interviews. Saying listen before answering a question is a disgrace. Buck up your ideas Stephen Gerard 

I thought this thread is about Purslow so why vent your spleen about Gerrard here? Is there not another thread covering Gerrard?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Czarnikjak said:

Sure, I'm just hoping it was an informed decision, not based on Purslows emotional attachment to Gerrard from the times he knew him as a player at Liverpool.

Jury on Gerrard is still out, and Purslow will live or die on this decision as he supports Gerrard with significant funds in transfer windows.

Will he? He’s obviously very trusted by the board. I can’t see why they would sack him just because the manager didn’t work out.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Czarnikjak said:

Good business men like Purslow don’t make decisions based on emotion 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

Not really just yet, for me it’s far too early.  I hope he is right over a long term.

I wasn’t on the Gerrard train at the beginning but early on I got on board and back him 100%.  Gerrard started well, had a really poor middle piece and now the last three games has been tremendous.  We are all hoping this continues, we are loving many aspects in the last couple of weeks and we hope it continues until the end of the season, have a great transfer window and then really motor next season.

I have no issue with Gerrard obviously, I do question Purslows hiring of Gerrard.  If Gerrard goes on to be massively successful my lack of faith in Purslow was wrong.  

Managers get judged over short periods generally, but CEO’s and owners over very long period.  Was Purslows decision in the circumstances with the options he likely had, best to hire a fairly inexperienced manager in Gerrard? Only time will tell but it was a huge huge gamble.  

Purslow had a lot more insight than we did but from the outside it was a bigger risk than it needed to be.

Like the stock market just because a very risky trade works out, was it the right trade to do in the first place.  Your knowledge and insight reduces that risk but sometimes the smarter play is less riskier trades that fits your profile over the long term.

20 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Good business men like Purslow don’t make decisions based on emotion 

That’s not true, I’ve seen through my career excellent business men make decisions based on emotion.  Yes coupled with data and research but decisions based on emotion happens.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, nick76 said:

That’s not true, I’ve seen through my career excellent business men make decisions based on emotion.  Yes coupled with data and research but decisions based on emotion happens.

I said Good business men, Bad business men like me do though 😂😂

I think the squad recruitment in last two seasons has been excellent. To have bought a player like Targett and had 2 & 1/2 seasons from him to be sold at a profit for example. This type of squad turnover is key to our competitiveness. We have a talented squad with plenty of depth and which can be added to. 

How much would Martinez, Cash or Watkins cost if someone decided they wanted to buy them from us? Arsenal system is as tailor made for Watkins as you can get 4 2 3 1 with the goals spread through the front 4. They would have to get to £50m to test us 

To think we'll add a new CB, LB, CDM to the squad in summer. The squad is there for Gerrard to succeed 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Will he? He’s obviously very trusted by the board. I can’t see why they would sack him just because the manager didn’t work out.

Exactly what I think, Purslow has done a good job.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Without trying to find the graph in the FFP thread we're now something like 11th in the league for revenue? 

2 years ago following promotion we were 19th

The manager and player recruitment are only one part of his remit, even league finishes are only part of his remit, id have thought as long as the revenue continues on an upward trend he'll be OK in his position (of course eventually that upward trend will be linked to performances and results too) 

• Like 1

Â